The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
SAMEEE!!!!!!!!!
Did them first and was like , oh wow, i've totally got 10/10. FMLLLLLLLLLL :'(

Same here.
If anyone needs any reassuring just remember, there are lots of bad colleges :biggrin:
Original post by ??????????????????

If anyone needs any reassuring just remember, there are lots of bad colleges :biggrin:

Suprisingly that actually made me feel better.
Original post by Wick3d
It was 1.4 I think.

Everyone I talked to got like 1.17.
I think. Can't remember. Anyone can comfirm? It was the air exhaled/time?
Original post by EffKayy
Can someone PLEASE explain how you got the thingi for Person A, i added the pressure up and divided it by the time or something? !: Wrong answer though.

I did difference in pressure between at 1 second and 3 seconds. Divide that by 3 and i got 1.4 . Dunno if thats right or wrong :s-smilie:
Everyone I talked to got like 1.17.
I think. Can't remember. Anyone can comfirm? It was the air exhaled/time?

I did that and got 2? Didnt you add it all up and divide by the time added up?! :'(
Original post by EffKayy
What other points would you have made for that?

Also, none of that, got 100, wrong. fml feel like dying.

I talked about:
Villi having a large SA and so increasing the rate of absorption

Micro Villi further increasing this SA

Carrier proteins, protein channels and active transport and facilitated diffusion also aid the flow

Movement of blood maintains the diffusion gradient

The movement of the villi so that glucose-rich food is available - maintaining the diffusion gradient

Not sure what else :smile:
Original post by EffKayy
I did that and got 2? Didnt you add it all up and divide by the time added up?! :'(

Bet I didn't read the question again then. D:
I did from 0-3. Didn't it ask for that? Did 3.5/3.
Reply 1088
Not a bad paper ... For heart rate I got 86bpm. Everything was alright, apart from the vaccination question which baffed me for a bit.

However, for absorption question, I mentioned microvilli for SA, thin for diffusion pathway, moving and all. But seeing as it was 6 marks I started mentioning mitochondria for ATP and active transport. Then I got a little carried away and wrote about the endoplasmic, golgi, and all that. Reckon they'll mark me down?

Also, guys, don't stress now. What's done is done - Focus on your other exams! :smile:
Reply 1089
I think it was 1.4

It was 4.2 for 3 secs
so, for 1 sec 4.2/3 = 1.4
Original post by EffKayy
Can someone PLEASE explain how you got the thingi for Person A, i added the pressure up and divided it by the time or something? !: Wrong answer though.

hi i took the difference in volume of air and divided by 3 secs :K:
Reply 1091
Original post by Benevolence
I talked about:
Villi having a large SA and so increasing the rate of absorption

Micro Villi further increasing this SA

Carrier proteins, protein channels and active transport and facilitated diffusion also aid the flow

Movement of blood maintains the diffusion gradient

The movement of the villi so that glucose-rich food is available - maintaining the diffusion gradient

Not sure what else :smile:

There's no blood through the intestine. I think the conc gradient is maintained by the Sodium Pottasium pump.
Don't worry about it too much. The mark schemes always have so many different points, so I'm sure you would have covered quie a few of the points. And hopefully the grade boundaries won't be too high lol.
Reply 1093
Original post by swiftylol
Dont worry too much, application questions are a killer. The most suprising this was the fact that the last question was 6 marks wtf?!?!?!

I'm hoping the grade boundaries are low because of the change in layout and the tricky questions, but then again this is a June series exam where all the geniuses come out to play :/

I doubt they'll lower the grade boundaries for the "change in layout" as the specimen showed a 4 mark then a 6 mark I believe.
Original post by liviaaa

Original post by liviaaa
I doubt they'll lower the grade boundaries for the "change in layout" as the specimen showed a 4 mark then a 6 mark I believe.

That's what I thought : ( ! but you never know :|
hi what did you guys put for galactose interfering with the hydrolysis of lactose?, something about enzyme inhibition
Original post by aaron1989
hi i took the difference in volume of air and divided by 3 secs :K:

I did the same did you get 1.17 second or did you get something like 1.4 seconds.

What did you get for the beats per minute question I got 100bpm.
What was the wording on the 6mark. Epithelial lining? :frown: Got so confused.
URGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I though that the exam was [relatively] easy (so the means higher grade boundaries!), but I made so many basic errors! :angry: :colondollar:

Oh well that's my first exam out of the way, I only hope my failure spurns me on to revise as much a physically possible for my others!
Reply 1099
I counted up the marks that I think were 100% right, being really harsh and I got 42. Really hope that's an A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending