The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dontflinch
ok people it was 1.4....you had to do 6.5-2.3=4.2

so.. It was between 0-3 seconds

4.2 divided by 3 = 1.4 !!!

:smile::smile::smile:

I agree also. So can we stop talking about this question, and reach a conclusion about the heart rate one :P :P
Original post by Hemal93
I counted up the marks that I think were 100% right, being really harsh and I got 42. Really hope that's an A.

I'm guessing the grade boundary will be lower this year. Some really random HSW questions were in that paper today.
Original post by oHellno
Lol, I just went on the UMS calculator and saw which was the lowest mark to give 80UMS.

What is a UMS calculator could you give me a link. Could you just explain to me how this UMS works, it's so friggin confusing. I bet AQA to this stupid UMS and awkward marking thing so people don't realize when they make mistakes.

I'm on to you AQA. I'm watching you...
Reply 1143
Damn that was a hard paper. I didnt even get time to finish half of it!! did anyone else have this problem!!

I was so annoyed about the last question. Genetic Engineering is a unit 2 topic, why was it in a unit 1 paper!! My Biology teacher said that our school is going to complain to the exam board about that question. Probably got like a D in this paper. Also was the answer to the very first question hydrolysis??
Original post by Smoopyj
Damn that was a hard paper. I didnt even get time to finish half of it!! did anyone else have this problem!!

I was so annoyed about the last question. Genetic Engineering is a unit 2 topic, why was it in a unit 1 paper!! My Biology teacher said that our school is going to complain to the exam board about that question. Probably got like a D in this paper. Also was the answer to the very first question hydrolysis??

yes hydrolysis
Original post by Smoopyj

??????????
Original post by Wick3d
I'm guessing the grade boundary will be lower this year. Some really random HSW questions were in that paper today.

I know. I hate HSW questions. I'm doing a biology exam not how science works, I expect to be asked questions about biology not how to control variables and give out placaebos and making a fair experiment.
Reply 1147
Original post by dontflinch
ok people it was 1.4....you had to do 6.5-2.3=4.2

so.. It was between 0-3 seconds

4.2 divided by 3 = 1.4 !!!

:smile::smile::smile:

i wrote -1.4 would i still get a mark
Reply 1148
Original post by Smoopyj

There was no genetic engineering on the paper?

And yeah that was the answer
Reply 1149
do you think the grade boundaries will go up or down
Do you think they will allow 1 mark for the principle of dividing the pressure/time as that was really confusing?!
Original post by Limitless

Original post by Limitless
What is a UMS calculator could you give me a link. Could you just explain to me how this UMS works, it's so friggin confusing. I bet AQA to this stupid UMS and awkward marking thing so people don't realize when they make mistakes.

I'm on to you AQA. I'm watching you...

http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/ums_converter_as.php?id=04

Haha all the exam boards use UMS. In all honesty, I don't completely understand it, but it's like the raw mark grade boundary for an A would equate to 80% UMS. I think it makes it easier for when you've got different units, or something :dontknow:
i believe the heart rate one was 85.7 but scince its to .7 you cant round up as its not a full heart beat.

60 divided by 0.7 = 85.7

answer = 85 beats per minute

:P
GUYS ! what did you put for the first question, the part where it asks you about the high concentrations of reducing sugars or something
Down definitely, that was one tricky paper to say the least. January 2011 and june 10 were much easier.
Original post by Smoopyj

There was not genetic engineering question. Last question was on epithelial cells. The one before that was on phagocytes.
Where does genetic engineering come into it ?
Original post by Smoopyj

yeah the answer to the 1st question was hydrolysis...but i know! i was thinking that! genetic engineering, i hadn't revised for properly yet :frown: i didnt even get time to answer everything, so i missed it out...there's 9 marks straight down the drain for me :frown:
was the table for the cardiac cycle question about volume or pressure?
Reply 1159
Original post by i3kel
There was no genetic engineering on the paper?

And yeah that was the answer

aqa bio unit 1?

Quick Reply