The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dontflinch
There would be more monosaccharides which give a positive result when tested with the biuret solution
so therefore a higher concentration of of reducing suger is present.

biuret solution tests for proteins do you mean benedicts reagent?
It said that lactose was also a reducing sugar that gave a positive result with benedicts: Hydrolysis of lactose = 2x the number of reducing sugars as glucose and galactose are also reducing sugars, thus greater concentration...
Original post by oHellno
Did you do AQA?

I'm confused.

Im also confused on this. No genetic engineering on this paper.. unless we got the wrong paper :eek:

PARANOID NOW.
Original post by EffKayy
will the 6mark answer have a broad markscheme,as the whole question was VERYYYY vague =(

Yeah the last question usually has a lot of points you can put for the answer.
Original post by Limitless
Yeah one mark is probably for working as I think it said show working, the other mark was for the answer I presume.

I mean what if the working is completely wrong, please say the principle gets you 1 mark, as in previous, the principle of the Image=actual*magnification got you the mark.
Original post by Haz2coolz
was AQA GCE Biology Unit 1, the very last question with 9 marks in it spread between a), b) and c)...3 marks, then 2 marks, then 4 marks

Okay I think we may have done different exams.
Original post by TlanTlan

Original post by TlanTlan
Biuret is proteins O.o

copper sulphate...my bad lol :P
Reply 1187
Original post by Haz2coolz
was AQA GCE Biology Unit 1, the very last question with 9 marks in it spread between a), b) and c)...3 marks, then 2 marks, then 4 marks

ok so i wasnt imagining it.. lol what did u put for this question?
Original post by Limitless
Yeah the last question usually has a lot of points you can put for the answer.

I didnt mention Sodium-potassium transport or carrier proteins! :frown:
Reply 1189
i hate it when you guys ruin my day :frown:
ran out of time, now realsied i got the heart rate one wrong :'(
Original post by orihime-lover

Original post by orihime-lover
Im also confused on this. No genetic engineering on this paper.. unless we got the wrong paper :eek:

PARANOID NOW.

Lol I checked through, and I know I didn't miss any out. Noones mentioned it on here and genetic engineering isn't even part of it, so I think we're okay :tongue:
Please can someone agree with the fact that the 6marker was not very specific; the others have been very specific and this wasn't! :frown:
Original post by oHellno
Lol I checked through, and I know I didn't miss any out. Noones mentioned it on here and genetic engineering isn't even part of it, so I think we're okay :tongue:

he must be talking about the human biology paper lol
Reply 1193
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Doss exam, all that worry for nothing!
...1.4dms ....86bpm....easy question here, easy question there...blah blah 6 MARKS FOR EPITHELIAL CELLS? Yes please!

BRING THE HATE.

NB: Grade boundries are going to be sky high.

wasnt 1.4 haha it asked for average
Original post by Smoopyj
ok so i wasnt imagining it.. lol what did u put for this question?

i wrote some stuff about the founder effect, but wasn't too sure if it was right or not...not even sure if it's relevant to genetic engineering
Original post by EffKayy
Please can someone agree with the fact that the 6marker was not very specific; the others have been very specific and this wasn't! :frown:

It wasn't very specific at all. I put about mitochondria, microvilli, carrier proteins, lots of ribosomes and rough endoplasmic reticulum for manufacture of proteins etc, as well as on the sodium-potassium pump etc.
Reply 1196
Original post by oHellno

umm sorry, but i think u did miss it. not trying to make u feel bad or anything. r u saying i was imagining the question? lol
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy

I agree the last question on the epithelial cells was a bit ambigous.

i just write as much as i could e.g short diffusion pathway for glucose to be absorbed... etc etc
Original post by aaron1989
i got 1.4 and i did 60/0.7 for beats per min which gave 85.7, one cardiac cycle (one heartbeat) took 0.7 seconds then you work how many of those 0.7 second beats occur in one minute( 60 seconds)...... i think

I put 86 instead of 85.7, will I get the mark? I rounded it up cos you can't really get .7 of a heartbeat can you? Lol :P
Reply 1199
we're calculations 1 or 2 marks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending