The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Hopefully when they release the mark schemes I can get the examiners report, and see were most people dropped their marks! :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Plus a lot of people on TSR are more likely to be in C/B/A category. You can't forget about everyone else, who may be getting U's etc, which will help lower the grade boundaries - so don't base the grade boudaries on just everyone here. :tongue:

That's looking at everybody not on TSR as idiots. People outside of TSR could also get A's raising the grade boundary. Just depends how you look at the glass half empty or half full.
Original post by nasira372
I hope you are right, my ISA was 30/50. I need 80% in this and 90% in the next exam for an A which is looking unlikely

I think you only need 240 UMS to get an A. So lets say you got 40 UMS for your ISA, you can easily make up the 200 UMS required for the A. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1403
Original post by Limitless
That's looking at everybody not on TSR as idiots. People outside of TSR could also get A's raising the grade boundary. Just depends how you look at the glass half empty or half full.

I'm not saying they're all stupid.. Just trying to be positive. :tongue:
Cheer up :biggrin:

For those biologst who want to become doctors.

And for those who wanna know they don't fail. Incidently this happened to two different people in two different biology exams :tongue: just now with dogs and cereal.
Original post by liviaaa
Mulitplying it by 100,000 wouldn't get it per 100,000.

It should, say 5000 people in 1 000 000 people, divide 5000/1000000 = 0.005 and multiplied by 100 000 gives 500 per 100 000 which does make sense.
Original post by liviaaa
I'm not saying they're all stupid.. Just trying to be positive. :tongue:

You can't always be positive then you might not reach your expectations and become disappointed just like you can't always be negative or you will drive yourself to depression. You've got to look at it from a neutral point of view.
Original post by Limitless

I think she's saying that people who go on TSR are more likely to be the ones aiming for the higher grades, I doubt anyone here will get a U. Just the way it is on TSR. :rolleyes: Just because we found it easy doesn't mean the whole nation did as TSR's proportion of people take the test are not a reliable representation of everyone in the country.
Original post by liviaaa
Mulitplying it by 100,000 wouldn't get it per 100,000.

I think it does.

So lets say there were 500 deaths from cause X in population Y of 5,000,000.

(500/5,000,000)x100,000 . Gives 10 deaths per 100,000 people from cause X in population Y.

I can swear that was the formula for it.
Didnt the question ask to calculate the RATE of breast cancer deaths?
Mine went great, I don't know what to say :wink: Really only had one moment where I had to stab at the answer, which was the reducing sugar test. I took a shot and said to add Benedict's Reagent and that a red precipitate would form. Turns out that was completely correct :wink: I couldn't be sure that it was either Benedict's or that a red precipitate would form (unless my subconscious was putting them together). Pretty chuffed at that.

I stated these for the Epithelial cell:

-Mitochondria to produce ATP for active transport
-Microvilli to increase surface area and therefore diffusion rate
-Thin surface of microvilli to increase diffusion rate
-carrier and channel proteins to allow access for products of digestion
-sodium-glucose co-transporters for active transport of glucose
-free sodium in cytoplasm that can be ejected into lumen to stimulate active transport

for the phagocyte I put:

-phagocyte recognises pathogen as non-body cell
-phagocyte's cytoplasm moves around pathogen
-pathogen suspended in vacuole
-lysosome fuses with vacuole
-lysosome releases lysosomal enzymes which digest and kill pathogen
-phagocyte presents pathogen's antigen's on it's surface

For the 4-mark Emphysema I put:

-Phagocytes release enzyme which digests elastin in cell walls
-prevents alveoli from recoiling and expelling air so less fresh oxygen can enter
-breaks down alveoli walls which decreases surface area and therefore increasing diffusion rate
-particles in lungs thicken alveoli wall that's left increasing diffusion rate

Pretty happy I think :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1411
Original post by Reminisce
It should, say 5000 people in 1 000 000 people, divide 5000/1000000 = 0.005 and multiplied by 100 000 gives 500 per 100 000 which does make sense.

Original post by TlanTlan
I think it does.

So lets say there were 500 deaths from cause X in population Y of 5,000,000.

(500/5,000,000)x100,000 . Gives 10 deaths per 100,000 people from cause X in population Y.

I can swear that was the formula for it.

Oh okay that would make sense. :smile: The orginal comment just said multiply by 100,000 and didn't include the division prior to it ^ which is what confused me.
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
the NT includes about glucose and then talks about villi! do you have NT?

I do but hardly use it.
Original post by Wick3d
I think you only need 240 UMS to get an A.

Yeah, the 30/50 is around 30UMS.
I need 210 more. I think I got 40-45 today. Thats 70 UMS maximum.

Therefore, I need 140/140 on thursday. I dont even know half the content. FML
Original post by EffKayy
Didnt the question ask to calculate the RATE of breast cancer deaths?

I think it vaguely asked how they calculated for each country or something.
Sorry to harp on, but what is this pH question everyone is talking about? Something about people saying they put litmus paper and how that could be wrong....

I can't gauge the question from the context.
I'm going until I realize how much worse I have done. Cya.
Reply 1417
Original post by JSLCampbell
Mine went great, I don't know what to say :wink: Really only had one moment where I had to stab at the answer, which was the reducing sugar test. I took a shot and said to add Benedict's Reagent and that a red precipitate would form. Turns out that was completely correct :wink: I couldn't be sure that it was either Benedict's or that a red precipitate would form (unless my subconscious was putting them together). Pretty chuffed at that.

I stated these for the Epithelial cell:

-Mitochondria to produce ATP for active transport
-Microvilli to increase surface area and therefore diffusion rate
-Thin surface of microvilli to increase diffusion rate
-carrier and channel proteins to allow access for products of digestion
-sodium-glucose co-transporters for active transport of glucose
-free sodium in cytoplasm that can be ejected into lumen to stimulate active transport

for the phagocyte I put:

-phagocyte recognises pathogen as non-body cell
-phagocyte's cytoplasm moves around pathogen
-pathogen suspended in vacuole
-lysosome fuses with vacuole
-lysosome releases lysosomal enzymes which digest and kill pathogen
-phagocyte presents pathogen's antigen's on it's surface

For the 4-mark Emphysema I put:

-Phagocytes release enzyme which digests fibrin in cell walls
-prevents alveoli from recoiling and expelling air so less fresh oxygen can enter
-breaks down alveoli walls which decreases surface area and therefore increasing diffusion rate
-particles in lungs thicken alveoli wall that's left increasing diffusion rate

This all sounds good :biggrin: The last bit about Emphysema, I thought it was elastin destroyed though, not fibrin?
Original post by nasira372
Yeah, the 30/50 is around 30UMS.
I need 210 more. I think I got 40-45 today. Thats 70 UMS maximum.

Therefore, I need 140/140 on thursday. I dont even know half the content. FML

That 40-45 ranges in the 80+ UMS. Also, you can easily retake your ISA. :smile:
Reply 1419
Original post by JSLCampbell

I put it would turn an orange-brown colour :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending