The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F211 resit - 16th May

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by LisaWilliams
I've sat both the January 2011 and June 2010. This was about as easy as the June 2010 paper, so it was pretty average really. The January 2011 was baad. I'd say it wont be too far from 42/60 for an A :smile:

100% UMS anywhere between 50 and 53 marks out of 60 on the paper :smile:
Reply 321
Original post by yamamotootsu
I damn hope so! cos I messed up the bit on the active load of sucrose into the sieve plate tube(which I did mention) but I completely forget about the hydrolysis of ATP to give hydrogen ions(and ADP) and potential gradient.

Haha i didn't even know about the hydrolysis part! Well it's only really 4 marks as 1 of the 5 marks is spelling the words right. So if you made 4 points you'd be fine :smile:
Original post by Rup
loool....do u also agree though? hope its right...otherwise mite go down to a C...which i hate sooo much..

I'm not too sure, but maybe he is right and am wrong:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 323
Original post by Rup
Oh damn...I wrote meristem tissue located in xylem and phloem....looooooooooooool

Oh well :smile: They're located right next to the xylem and phloem vessels though! :P
Haha i didn't even know about the hydrolysis part! Well it's only really 4 marks as 1 of the 5 marks is spelling the words right. So if you made 4 points you'd be fine :smile:

thanks :biggrin: I'm sure you'll get good grade cos you seem like a bright bio girl:smile:
Reply 325
100% UMS anywhere between 50 and 53 marks out of 60 on the paper :smile:

Not sure that is how it works, isn't 100 % UMS points only for full marks?
After you pass the A boundary the mark pattern between boundaries end but im fairly sure you need to get full marks for all the points
Reply 326
Original post by Solarity
After you pass the A boundary the mark pattern between boundaries end but im fairly sure you need to get full marks for all the points

Nope. It's usually the difference between the A and B boundary, doubled, then added onto the A boundary.

The A boundary averages around 43 for this exam, and it's usually 5 marks between each boundary, suggesting that 90/90UMS would require 53/60.

I hope that helps.
Reply 327
Original post by Groat
Nope. It's usually the difference between the A and B boundary, doubled, then added onto the A boundary.

The A boundary averages around 43 for this exam, and it's usually 5 marks between each boundary, suggesting that 90/90UMS would require 53/60.

I hope that helps.

Wow i didn't know that. That is brilliant! Is this just with OCR? or does it happen across multiple exam boards?
Reply 328

Well if you look at most the Grade boundaries the papers out of 60 and out of 90 UMS. So technically it should be 1 mark = 1.5 UMS. But if you look at say the January 2011 an A (which is 90%) UMS is 42 marks in the paper giving 72 UMS. But 72/42=1.7 so it's actually 1.7 UMS for one mark. Making 90 UMS (which is 100% UMS, sorry it's confusing) a mark of 90/1.7=53 in the paper. So getting 53/60 would get you 100% UMS. Hope that makes sense
Reply 329
Wow i didn't know that. That is brilliant! Is this just with OCR? or does it happen across multiple exam boards?

Across exam boards. Some exams, such as Maths, usually have 100/100UMS to 75/75 raw conversions as the grade boundaries are quite high.
Reply 330
Well if you look at most the Grade boundaries the papers out of 60 and out of 90 UMS. So technically it should be 1 mark = 1.5 UMS. But if you look at say the January 2011 an A (which is 90%) UMS is 42 marks in the paper giving 72 UMS. But 72/42=1.7 so it's actually 1.7 UMS for one mark. Making 90 UMS (which is 100% UMS, sorry it's confusing) a mark of 90/1.7=53 in the paper. So getting 53/60 would get you 100% UMS. Hope that makes sense

I don't think that's how it works. If you look at AQA's UMS converter, the gradient of marks awarded at each boundary changes, but remains constant after the B boundary changes, suggesting my method is more reliable.
Original post by Groat

I hope that helps.

do you happen to speak dutch=)?
Reply 332
do you happen to speak dutch=)?

I don't I'm afraid? :colondollar:
Reply 333
Original post by Groat
I don't think that's how it works. If you look at AQA's UMS converter, the gradient of marks awarded at each boundary changes, but remains constant after the B boundary changes, suggesting my method is more reliable.

Oh dear, i have no clue :smile: But we both agree 53 raw marks would give 100% yeah? :smile:
Oh dear, i have no clue :smile: But we both agree 53 raw marks would give 100% yeah? :smile:

to be honest i think it was an easy paper and I think a lot of people have probably done very well:smile: so boundary for an A would be around 45-48
Reply 335
to be honest i think it was an easy paper and I think a lot of people have probably done very well:smile: so boundary for an A would be around 45-48

You think? I can't see how it could move out of the 42-44 range though, I hope it doesn't!!
Original post by Groat
I don't I'm afraid? :colondollar:

damn! :biggrin: You just sounded a little bit dutch to me:colondollar:
Reply 337

It depends, by my hypothesis you'd need 56/60 in January 09, but only 50/60 in January 10. You can't be sure until the grade boundaries are released.
You think? I can't see how it could move out of the 42-44 range though, I hope it doesn't!!

neither do I! But don't get me wrong am all for low boundary(no offence):biggrin:
Reply 339

I'd have to disagree. There were 10 marks on the spirometer and it's a incredibly small topic, so I'm predicting around 43/60 for an A. We'll have to wait and see in August who's right! :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest