The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - June 2011 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Crazy, my college has screwed me over...
for the practicals
I had 14/15
9/10
and... 7/15, which without trying to be pretentious looks as if I had an off day, and our Chemistry department hasn't let anyone do it twice. So has cost me quite a few UMS i'm probably going to have to get around 130/150 in this exam now to get an A
Original post by haydyb123
for the practicals
I had 14/15
9/10
and... 7/15, which without trying to be pretentious looks as if I had an off day, and our Chemistry department hasn't let anyone do it twice. So has cost me quite a few UMS i'm probably going to have to get around 130/150 in this exam now to get an A

thats 40/60 as UMS mate if that helps
for the practicals
I had 14/15
9/10

Well it depends, was the 7/15 a titration? Because it's really hard to get top marks on that. You have to be accurate, not spill anything etc, do all the calculations right AND get a similar answer to your teacher.
Original post by student777
Well it depends, was the 7/15 a titration? Because it's really hard to get top marks on that. You have to be accurate, not spill anything etc, do all the calculations right AND get a similar answer to your teacher.

it was the evaluative.
Reply 124
The benzoic acid and ethyl benzoate one? I found it rather easy, but our "trial" exam 2 weeks before was quite similar, we had a lot of help.
Original post by BA1
The benzoic acid and ethyl benzoate one? I found it rather easy, but our "trial" exam 2 weeks before was quite similar, we had a lot of help.

I must have really had an off day oh well, job in hand is 129, pretty much what I expected it to be, damn coursework could have done me favors though!
for the practicals
I had 14/15
9/10

Why have been negged for that? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you, all I ever do is try and help.
Why have been negged for that? Talk about biting the hand that feeds you, all I ever do is try and help.

there there :console: :tongue:

if it helps i need to get about 200/240 over the two exams to get an A overall in chem, fml :colonhash:

which is probably very easy for some people :ninja:
Reply 128
Does anyone understand 3e) from the jan paper and could please explain it to me? I don't even know what spreads the question has even got to do with... :s-smilie:
Reply 129
Original post by tripodd
Does anyone understand 3e) from the jan paper and could please explain it to me? I don't even know what spreads the question has even got to do with... :s-smilie:

It's only worth 2 marks, so don't fret over it. Better to spend your time checking that your answers to the other questions are correct and you haven't made any silly mistakes.
Reply 130
Original post by jlcf
Hi, posting the papers here for revision if anyone needs. :smile:

Plus a massive question pack of 147 pages with 124 questions (.rtf files). :biggrin:

Ill update if i have found the Jan 2011 paper and MS.
Jan 2011 paper are here on this link.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30708951&postcount=6
Thanks to Rup! :biggrin:

you sir, are a legend!
Reply 131
just did the jan 2011 paper. its actually very tricky! woah first past paper i did for this and im glad we still have a few weeks untill the exams...i thought i new most of it aswell!

ontop of that the timing is going to be very hard to get right, for me any way :frown:
Can someone please help me...On the 2011 jan paper.
It talks about KFs enthalpy change of solution being less exothermic than that of RbF.
I dont understand how this..Because KF is smaller: so less ionic radius: so more attraction...so when it dissolves it should be more exothermic
KF: is -15 and RbFkj mol is -24 kj mol
Help please
Reply 133
Original post by hey-hey-hey
Can someone please help me...On the 2011 jan paper.
It talks about KFs enthalpy change of solution being less exothermic than that of RbF.
I dont understand how this..Because KF is smaller: so less ionic radius: so more attraction...so when it dissolves it should be more exothermic
KF: is -15 and RbFkj mol is -24 kj mol
Help please

i think its becuase there talking about EC of Solution as opposed to Lattice enthalpy.
KF has a smaller ionic radius than RbF anyway so it has a greater charge density...that is 1 mark

you have to mention that EC of solution is more related to Lattice enthalpy aswell.
A tricky question. First, consider the size of the anion -small and not easily polarized. So approaching the question by using the idea of covalency due to polarization is a non starter.

However, you are nearly there with your answer. As the cation radius increases down Group 1, the electrostatic attraction holding the ions together decreases. The ions are further apart.

What are we doing when we are dissolving? We are breaking the lattice and hydrating the ions. Breaking the lattice in RbF will take less energy than breaking the lattice in KF. Therefore, overall, the enthalpy of solution will become more exothermic as less energy is used up in breaking bonds and more is free to be given out when the ions are hydrated.
Original post by INeedToRevise
If you haven't already, buy this book!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calculations-Level-Chemistry-Jim-Clark/dp/0582411270

Its really helpful for this module. And explains things so much better than the OCR book.

Seriously guys, buy this book :smile:

Just purchased this book, really struggerling with the maths aspect of this module. Do you think a month is enough time to get to grips with it?
Reply 136
Original post by wilsea05
i got 88/90 in f324 too. basically, just be confident. I didn't revise things that much, because there's not actually that much information to learn for it. Go through the book, write down stuff you don't know/couldn't remember straight away, do all the questions in the book, and then just practice everything. just standard revision really lol. I was pretty cocky about the exam, because i thought i knew everything there was to know about the topic. thank god i did well, or i would've looked like a complete ass to my class haha

oh right, the thing is i knew the book inside out.. i done my papers and went over them, i was very confident. What past papers did you do? if you dont mind me asking... ive just been doing the 'chains, rings and spectroscopy' ones from the old spec.

(Sorry im out of topic)
Reply 137
Original post by volvicstar
Just purchased this book, really struggerling with the maths aspect of this module. Do you think a month is enough time to get to grips with it?

a month is definitely enough - work very hard. Im really stuggling with the maths content too; im aweful at maths :|
I may purchase this book too, infact:smile:
Sorry, haven't been around for the past couple of days. If anyone has any questions, from past papers or anything related, i'll be more than happy to try and help.
Original post by volvicstar

Yeah. A month is definitely enough. But I would say, try and get through it a lot more faster than that seeing as this exam in on the 15th and you should really start doing past paper questions asap.

I was really struggling with the maths, especially seeing as maths is not my strong point, but after reading that book and going through the problems I understand all the maths involved :smile:

On a side note, when is everyone going to/already doing past paper questions? Has everyone finished learning content/revision??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending