The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by failingatm
Internal Skills Assessment. It's the practical basically with the exam.

Some schools are quite lenient with how many "help" they offer students on the ISAs. Sadly mine isn't like that. :frown:
Grr, the agar plate. I skipped it because the answers weren't coming to me quickly enough, and came back at the end; only I had about 2 minutes to spare. Managed to get down that 20degrees C or less would be suitable for storage because the enzyme is not active at this point, but I missed two 1-mark questions. Oh well, what different is 2 marks gonna make huh? :wink:
Original post by swiftylol
And why? :awesome:

I forgot, you should of asked me at 9:00 to 10:15 when I cared. :smile:
Original post by Wick3d
Some schools are quite lenient with how many "help" they offer students on the ISAs. Sadly mine isn't like that. :frown:

:indiff: We barely got any help. I didn't even know what we were doing in the first ISA tbh.
Original post by JSLCampbell
Grr, the agar plate. I skipped it because the answers weren't coming to me quickly enough, and came back at the end; only I had about 2 minutes to spare. Managed to get down that 20degrees C or less would be suitable for storage because the enzyme is not active at this point, but I missed two 1-mark questions. Oh well, what different is 2 marks gonna make huh? :wink:

2 marks won't make a difference. Me not talking about activetransport/mitochondria effed everything up. Also the calculations and what not =(. Fml.
Reply 1445
Oh and what did people put for working out the beats per minute and the heart calculation one? Basically the maths questions!
Original post by TlanTlan
Number of deaths from cervical cancer divided by total population, then multiply that value by 100,000 is what i put.

I put work out the number of deaths due to cervical cancer using a representative sample of 100 000 people in each country.
Wrong?

Crap, it was asking for storage? i put 30degrees, thought it was asking for optimum temp
trying not to go off topic, but how did everyone do in the isa? and which one did you do? i did the leaf isa and got 36 marks, have the grade boundaries been decided on this yet?

Didn it say what temp should be used for the enzyme to work best at and you had to read the optimum temp off the graph which was 30-31? cos it was all about getting clear regions to show the prein and been broken down or whatever.
Crap, it was asking for storage? i put 30degrees, thought it was asking for optimum temp

Same. I don't recall storage.
Original post by ??????????????????

Original post by ??????????????????
Same. I don't recall storage.

I don't remember storage either :indiff:
Original post by superstressed
I put work out the number of deaths due to cervical cancer using a representative sample of 100 000 people in each country.
Wrong?

Hell if i know. This is AQA we're talking about, horribly vague questions and mark schemes that don't match the questions is just how they roll.
Original post by oHellno
I don't remember storage either :indiff:

same here :/
Reply 1454
I don't remember storage either ;/

I'm pretty sure that its 30 or so because you need the maximum rate temperature wise for large enough clear areas (distinct) for more reliable results and to draw a more reliable conclusion. Storage was for the whole point of allowing time for the protease to perform its function rather than reducing its activity.
(edited 12 years ago)

i put 30, i dont think it was asking aobut storage cos it said work best at which is optimum
Original post by TlanTlan
Hell if i know. This is AQA we're talking about, horribly vague questions and mark schemes that don't match the questions is just how they roll.

AQA roll with vague questions and specific mark schemes. Sly bastards...
Well, how'd it go?? :P
I just realised everyone had different answers for the seconds in which the atrioventricular valves are closed? I cant remember which but i used the ones when the ventricle pressure is higher, explaining that it prevents the back flow of blood to the atrium.

Do they give a mark for the principle of dividing pressure/time? please hope so, as it was confusing.

:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending