The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emily90
You are kidding...it was that simple! lol oh dear....but thank you! What was that heart cycle one again?

Some people thought the time for one heart cycle was 85/86 beats per minute.
Others (me including) got 100 beats per minute.
Original post by H2IMRAN
Grade boundaries (for an a) will not be 50! Who ever wrote that is probably the most retarded person ever

It will probably be around 40ish.
Hey, i know you use the NT book, so for the last question did you write all the stuff it said about Villi and Microvilli in the NT book because it has a specific link to glucose there too?! I never wrote about carrier proteins, totally forgot. woops.
Original post by Wick3d
That's what I thought when I checked my answer. :biggrin:

It was like I answered a 5 mark question!

Oh well it's better to write more than write less.
Reply 1484
And for the LAST question, it asked for adaption of EPITHELIAL cells not the SMALL INTESTINE itself! So all the points about villi in the Nelson Thorne book are usless! So things like microvilli, and carrier proteins will gain the marks.
Original post by H2IMRAN
And for the LAST question, it asked for adaption of EPITHELIAL cells not the SMALL INTESTINE itself! So all the points about villi in the Nelson Thorne book are usless! So things like microvilli, and carrier proteins will gain the marks.

Epithelium cells has villi with substructures called microvilli on them.
Original post by Liron Ingleby
Emohysema question was four marks, so i spoke about less elasticity in lungs, hard to force air out of alveoli, reduced conc gradient for diffusion and i also said about reduced surface area of alveoli meaning that there is a slower rate of diffusion thoughts?

also what was the exact wording of the last 6 marks quetion?

i basically copied out the jan2011 markscheme for it
Alveoli walls break down;
reduced surface area
loss of elastin;
loss of elasticity;
reduced concentration gradient

then waffled on about lack of oxygen but that was unneccessary.
Reply 1487
Original post by Emily90
You are kidding...it was that simple! lol oh dear....but thank you! What was that heart cycle one again?

To be honest i did 60/0.3 so i got it wrong but realized this when i finished the paper. Anyways i think one of the questions was why does the ventricle reach a higher pressure. I basically explained the fact that when the impulses from the sino atrial node are initiated causing the atria to contract they then reach the atrio ventricular node and they are delayed to allow more blood to be contracted and forced into the ventricle and gain maximum capacity
Was suprised so many people got the pH one wrong. It was in the EMPA. (though some did ISA). I wasn't sure about it in EMPA tbh though and realised it mid way through the exam.
Reply 1489
Original post by Limitless
Epithelium cells has villi with substructures called microvilli on them.

No.. VILLI ARE THE FOLDINGS OF THE INNER WALLS of small intestine. And the VILLI are made up of EPITHELIAL cells that posses MICROVILLI.
Original post by H2IMRAN

If you look carefully, and read the paragraph in the NT book it gives you SPECIFIC links to epithelial cells and absorption of glucose.
Reply 1491
It was such a ****e exam! Plus who else thought an hour 15 was not enough time?
emphysema causes reduced surface area of alveoli, fibrosis causes them to irreversibly thickened.
Original post by ??????????????????
Was suprised so many people got the pH one wrong. It was in the EMPA. (though some did ISA). I wasn't sure about it in EMPA tbh though and realised it mid way through the exam.

I got it wrong in the EMPA! So got it right here :wink: evens out.
What was the best pH? I put 9 because it had the smallest diameter so had the most removed (question said that protease removed it) so was the most effective.
Original post by EffKayy
i basically copied out the jan2011 markscheme for it
Alveoli walls break down;
reduced surface area
loss of elastin;
loss of elasticity;
reduced concentration gradient

then waffled on about lack of oxygen but that was unneccessary.

oh ok so i basically wrote that, what was the wording of the last question?

cos i didnt seep adapted i jut read how is glucose absorbed into the blood so i basically explained the whole process about co trasnport atp conc gradients na/k pump, faciltated diffusion all that, i didnt even right about microvilli ?:s
What was the best pH? I put 9 because it had the smallest diameter so had the most removed (question said that protease removed it) so was the most effective.

That wasn't a question was it? I thought it was about optimum?
i want someone to put up the unofficial markscheme, during the exam i worked out my potential ( water potential lol ) marks and found it out to be 55, looking at the comments here i reckon ive moved down 10 marks at the maximum, i finished 15 minutes early so thats why i was counting marks lol
Original post by SpecialApple
I put 86 instead of 85.7, will I get the mark? I rounded it up cos you can't really get .7 of a heartbeat can you? Lol :P

to be honest i think both answers should be considered correct there was no indication to rounding up or not, i put 85.7 as it was asking for a rate, who knows we'll have to wait and see.......

i put ph 6 most effective cos it had the biggest clear area cos it said that it was cloudy before so if it was broken down itd go clear. i think most people put ph6

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending