The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MagicNMedicine

Yes at lunchtime, you can't go in to the breakfast and evening meals as far as I know, but its open to everybody at lunch.

naaa swear were only allowed in outside of peak times? So not at lunch and then we get breakfast and evening or sumting? I asked at the open day but I may have remembered wrong. Anyone want to clarify?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by Medpotter
naaa swear were only allowed in outside of peak times? So not at lunch and then we get breakfast and evening or sumting? I asked at the open day but I may have remembered wrong. Anyone want to clarify?

Thats the catered students, they get breakfast and evening. dmz was asking if you could buy food from the Refectory if you were self catered, I said yes at lunchtime you can. Anybody can buy it at lunchtime including students who are in catered.

Thats the catered students, they get breakfast and evening. dmz was asking if you could buy food from the Refectory if you were self catered, I said yes at lunchtime you can. Anybody can buy it at lunchtime including students who are in catered.

my bad I didn't read it properly :smile:
Okay, I started with the idea of reading everything, but i guess it's impossible...

So please, is there anyone who can clear my mind up? I din't really get the main differences between James Bailie and North Hill Court. They're both 1.25 away from the campus, Leeds' website says they're both close to Headingley and the city centre.
So, why is one really requested and much more expensive, and the other one is not? Help me decide which one is better :biggrin: if i was sure that they are absolutely the same, i'd chose the less expensive (north hill) but such a difference between their prices makes me think maybe they're not so similar...
Reply 1704
Original post by YaziB
Ahh okay! I'm liking the look of it! I've applied for Henry Price because I'd prefer to be on campus but I'm hoping if I don't get that, I can get into North hill or James Bailie or around there! Thanks!!

they're both usually over subscribed

sorry if someone has said this on the next page
Reply 1705
Original post by Saya_Zhao
Okay, I started with the idea of reading everything, but i guess it's impossible...

So please, is there anyone who can clear my mind up? I din't really get the main differences between James Bailie and North Hill Court. They're both 1.25 away from the campus, Leeds' website says they're both close to Headingley and the city centre.
So, why is one really requested and much more expensive, and the other one is not? Help me decide which one is better :biggrin: if i was sure that they are absolutely the same, i'd chose the less expensive (north hill) but such a difference between their prices makes me think maybe they're not so similar...

JB is more new. Lots more people too i think. I didn't go to north hill court sorry. JB rooms were not big but really really nice

James Baillie has (mostly) ensuite and a common room, NHC doesn't. James Baillie has slightly nicer rooms (judging from the photos on the website anyway). JB has much larger kitchens. NHC is a lot smaller - about 80 students, JB has a few hundred. Other than that they look pretty similar, NHC still looks decent and great value :biggrin: (I applied there but changed my mind and opted for Lupton :p:)
Bodington or Charles Morris hall for 2011? Worried that morris won't be sociable enough but the distance of bod seems extreemly long. Any advice?
Original post by PhilosophyIsMyGame
Yeah I've decided to go with Clarence dock, i feel happier now and more calm i think Henry price was just a spur of the moment and it wasn't really me! :smile: what did you go with? :smile:

awww ur not going with hp anymore :erm: nevermind as long as ur happy with CD and it sounds like u r lol

.....so I've got a lil confession, I almost changed my mind bout hp too, a few days back I stumbled across pictures of leodis and there were a couple of the outside garden/bbq space around the building, so I was daydreaming bout the tasty bbqs I could have in the summer and it just seemed to have more of a community feel so I was 2 minds whether to stick with hp or not, I chose to stick with hp cos I would love to be on campus, but to be honest if i ended up in either one I'd be happy, so long as I'm put with people I get on with :smile:

and my student finance is finally sorted, my mum was taking her sweet time filling in her section lol, but its all done and dusted now, I just really cant wait to go to leeds, im gettin excited bout it all over again :excited: i just pray I make my entry grades man :smile:
Original post by clmcd
definitely plan on doing this, my buildings are right near henry so its all good :smile:

lol I haven't checked to see where my buildings are yet, did u find out on the visit day?
Reply 1710
Original post by -Christabel-
awww ur not going with hp anymore :erm: nevermind as long as ur happy with CD and it sounds like u r lol

.....so I've got a lil confession, I almost changed my mind bout hp too, a few days back I stumbled across pictures of leodis and there were a couple of the outside garden/bbq space around the building, so I was daydreaming bout the tasty bbqs I could have in the summer and it just seemed to have more of a community feel so I was 2 minds whether to stick with hp or not, I chose to stick with hp cos I would love to be on campus, but to be honest if i ended up in either one I'd be happy, so long as I'm put with people I get on with :smile:

and my student finance is finally sorted, my mum was taking her sweet time filling in her section lol, but its all done and dusted now, I just really cant wait to go to leeds, im gettin excited bout it all over again :excited: i just pray I make my entry grades man :smile:

everyone'll be home at summer tho and there's a pretty steep road going up to uni but it took like 5mins or less from leodis to parkinson
what does everyone think about the tannery, me and a friend have applied for this one because it sounds really food!
good* :smile:
Reply 1713
Original post by sambenson10
good* :smile:

not that many people have applied to the tannery tbh, probably me and a few all over the place?
Original post by dmz
everyone'll be home at summer tho and there's a pretty steep road going up to uni but it took like 5mins or less from leodis to parkinson

lol I meant in the summer term :tongue: and nooo ur making me like leodis more, the main advantage hp has over leodis is the fact that its on campus...damn it looks like I'm back at square 1 as far as accommodation is concerned :s-smilie:, I'm goin 2 have 2 have a serious think bout it soon and make sure I've made the right choice

its either leodis: en-suite, common room, but a short walk to campus-which could get annoying on those rainy days......or henry price: right on campus so amenities at my finger tips and the city centre on my doorstep, but I'd have to share a bathroom :confused:

lol after all this I'd laugh if I didn't even end up gettin my first choice
Reply 1715
Original post by -Christabel-
lol I meant in the summer term :tongue: and nooo ur making me like leodis more, the main advantage hp has over leodis is the fact that its on campus...damn it looks like I'm back at square 1 as far as accommodation is concerned :s-smilie:, I'm goin 2 have 2 have a serious think bout it soon and make sure I've made the right choice

its either leodis: en-suite, common room, but a short walk to campus-which could get annoying on those rainy days......or henry price: right on campus so amenities at my finger tips and the city centre on my doorstep, but I'd have to share a bathroom :confused:

lol after all this I'd laugh if I didn't even end up gettin my first choice

haha i'll say no more then, Henry price is better socially though. Henry Price is 2nd highly oversubscribed though i think. I couldn't live on campus, dad wanted me to live CM but i'm paying so no way :tongue:.

See if you can find two people who've lived in either
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bella Occhi
James Baillie has (mostly) ensuite and a common room, NHC doesn't. James Baillie has slightly nicer rooms (judging from the photos on the website anyway). JB has much larger kitchens. NHC is a lot smaller - about 80 students, JB has a few hundred. Other than that they look pretty similar, NHC still looks decent and great value :biggrin: (I applied there but changed my mind and opted for Lupton :p:)

Uhmmm I was thinking to Lupton too. I kinda liked it on the website, but if I want to walk to campus 2 miles are way too much... arent they? I dont really know how far is 2 miles... I'm used to km :biggrin: is suuch a long way?

Need to think seriously about pro and cons ahahah
Uhmmm I was thinking to Lupton too. I kinda liked it on the website, but if I want to walk to campus 2 miles are way too much... arent they? I dont really know how far is 2 miles... I'm used to km :biggrin: is suuch a long way?

Need to think seriously about pro and cons ahahah

Well, 2 miles is just over 3 km, but I don't think it is 2 miles to campus from Lupton - looks to me more like 1 and a half miles which is about a 25 minute walk, so it doesn't seem very long :biggrin:

Which other accommodation are you considering? :smile:
Reply 1718
I applied for accomodation (HP) a couple of weeks ago but my friends who're already in their first year at Leeds are scaring me - they said last year they had to pick two choices on the form as well as preferences eg cost. I filled out the form pretty quickly so I can't remember seeing an option of putting a second choice down - that wasn't an option this year was it? You just pick one?
Original post by Clairrre
I applied for accomodation (HP) a couple of weeks ago but my friends who're already in their first year at Leeds are scaring me - they said last year they had to pick two choices on the form as well as preferences eg cost. I filled out the form pretty quickly so I can't remember seeing an option of putting a second choice down - that wasn't an option this year was it? You just pick one?

Yep, only one choice this year I'm afraid!

Latest