The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

mark scheme anyone?
Original post by liviaaa
Hmm.. okay I guess. Once I've gone through it all again and all the past papers I should be prepared. The questions I dread are the mitosis/meiosis ones which require a calculation...

You?

Same really I'm worried about my other exams there in such a short time period. :confused:
If you guys are also doing AQA how come some do EMPA and some to ISA?
Reply 1623
Med schools don't really take any preference of candidates who do 4 A2. Just those we get A's. :smile:
Original post by ??????????????????

The school chooses.

ISA's are marked by the school

EMPS's are marked by external examiners/moderaters

EMPA's have lower grade boundaries, 31ish compared to ISA's 39-40ish
(edited 12 years ago)

I don't know EMPA is basically when the practical is written out in much more detail but you have to make accurate measurements and know how to carry out experiments and explain how to carry out experiments. According to AQA they are of equal difficulty. You are allowed to have two goes at an ISA during one academic year but one go at a EMPA. You get given the results of your ISA as soon as your teacher marks it so you can do it again if you did not do as well as you hoped. In an EMPA you get your results on exam day in August.
Original post by swiftylol
The school chooses.

ISA's are marked by the school

EMPS's are marked by external examiners/moderaters

EMPA's have lower grade boundaries, 31ish compared to ISA's 39-40ish

So my school is just too lazy to mark it? Meh seems about right seeing as biology teacher refuses to come to school if it is cold.
You would get more help in the medicine sticky are my grades good enough. They would be able to advise you better.

Doing 4 A-Levels puts you at no advantage than doing 3.
So my school is just too lazy to mark it? Meh seems about right seeing as biology teacher refuses to come to school if it is cold.

LOL. My teacher has emergency snow equipment in his car in the middle of summer.
I got;
58/60 UMS on my AS ISA
56/60 UMS on my A2 ISA

Got a question for you guys, the ones who sat BIOL1 AQA that is.

On the last question, the epithelium cells of the small intestine I originally thought I got 6/6 for sure, but tell me what you guys think, like how many marks I would/should have got
I made the following points'

Large SA - faster rate of absorption
Movement of blood, maintaining the diffusion gradient
Well supplied with blood - maintaining the diffusion gradient, thereby speeding up the rate
Movement of vili to keep glucose-rich foods near the cells

Then I wrote the following in near enough exact words;

The epithelial cells are adapted for efficient glucose absorption through co-transport proteins, ion channels and through the process of active transport and facilitated diffusion.

Every body goes on about the last two points. But do you think that it is detailed enough to get the mark?
My concern is that I talked about the viili in parts.
Original post by Limitless
LOL. My teacher has emergency snow equipment in his car in the middle of summer.

Opposite of mine then. Mine just crawls into bed.
Cambridge are GCSE Nazis. There is no point applying if your GCSEs are not up to Cambridge standard (no offense). So if they reject you based on GCSEs the amount of Alevels you do doesn't make a difference.
i said villi but it hink its actually microvill, will that matter and i didnt mention co transport or active transport but i did everything else etc. blood vessles mmaitning conc gradent, difusion large sa
sorry to say, but unis look at everything when it comes to medicine, if your gcse's were average and your a levels are amazing, they still probably won't take you. If i were you, get loads of work experience and practice for the UKCAT test, im planning on doing pharmacy which is a good option as it has a good employment rate, good salary etc etc, and plus its easy to get into despite your gcse's, we're on the same boat in terms of gcse's ,maybe you done better lol, i got 1*, 1 A, 7B's 2 C's which is rubbish.... IMO
Reply 1634
They only give them out, if you tell them you're doing 4.
hi does anyone have an official mark scheme
what grade boundaries do we think
i think 39-a
35-b
31-c
27-d
23-e
Original post by Limitless
Cambridge are GCSE Nazis. There is no point applying if your GCSEs are not up to Cambridge standard (no offense). So if they reject you based on GCSEs the amount of Alevels you do doesn't make a difference.

Cambridge are not GCSE Nazis really. They are As level Module UMS score Nazis. You should only apply there if you have 90% UMS marks in all your subjects at least, preferably 95% actually.

Oxford on the other hand are GCSE Nazis by a mile...
They will take it all into account don't worry just concentrate on As levels.
Original post by Benevolence
I got;
58/60 UMS on my AS ISA
56/60 UMS on my A2 ISA

Got a question for you guys, the ones who sat BIOL1 AQA that is.

On the last question, the epithelium cells of the small intestine I originally thought I got 6/6 for sure, but tell me what you guys think, like how many marks I would/should have got
I made the following points'

Large SA - faster rate of absorption
Movement of blood, maintaining the diffusion gradient
Well supplied with blood - maintaining the diffusion gradient, thereby speeding up the rate
Movement of vili to keep glucose-rich foods near the cells

Then I wrote the following in near enough exact words;

The epithelial cells are adapted for efficient glucose absorption through co-transport proteins, ion channels and through the process of active transport and facilitated diffusion.

Every body goes on about the last two points. But do you think that it is detailed enough to get the mark?
My concern is that I talked about the viili in parts.

I talked more about the villi too which isnt epithelium :'( urghhh.
im so pissed at myself i didnt see the ADAPTED part of the last question so all i wrote was:

sodium potassium pump, active transport, atp, diffusino gradients, co transport, facillated diffusion all the stuff.
IS THAT NO MARKS?

I thought it said how is glucose absorbed not how is cell adapted for absorption?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending