The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stratos
Don't worry you still got extra, and clearing and...

Well i guess you're screwed.

Just joking, I'm probably more screwed considering I haven't revised a single minute for any of my exams.

ahaha ok i dont get your comment.

yeh but if ive lost six marks there and another 10 somewhere else in the paper thts 16 marks. 44/60 has to be an A right?
Original post by Liron Ingleby
ahaha ok i dont get your comment.

yeh but if ive lost six marks there and another 10 somewhere else in the paper thts 16 marks. 44/60 has to be an A right?

AQA likes to mark me down, so I wouldn't be to sure on that.

Often when I'm confident I did well, I do bad and where I think I screwed up I do surprisingly well.

I was confident
Original post by EffKayy
im hoping the 6marker will bring the boundaries a bit down due to the fact that it was vagueeeeee.

DITTO. I need an A

I think it'll be :

39 A
35 B
31 C
28 D
25 E

but it is written by the same examiner Jan 11 and an A was 41 in Jan this year.
DITTO. I need an A

I think it'll be :

39 A
35 B
31 C
28 D
25 E

but it is written by the same examiner Jan 11 and an A was 41 in Jan this year.
I hope so
can i just clarify for the antigen question, its a protein which causes a stimulation in production of antibodies/causes an immune response, then for the second part i wrote - similar antigens, complementary blabla? what was the answer?
Original post by Stratos
AQA likes to mark me down, so I wouldn't be to sure on that.

Often when I'm confident I did well, I do bad and where I think I screwed up I do surprisingly well.

I was confident

This is true. For my gcse science exams, i would come out thinking ive dropped 3marks MAX, but drop like loads, then the year after that i had a science exam and thought i did AWFUL but got full ums.

You just never know what to expect eyy
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
I hope so
can i just clarify for the antigen question, its a protein which causes a stimulation in production of antibodies/causes an immune response, then for the second part i wrote - similar antigens, complementary blabla? what was the answer?

Yes.
Original post by EffKayy
I hope so

yeh yeh that all soudsn like what i wrote.

you know the lung question were the figures in the table volume in the lungs?

cos the heart one was pressure in the lungs
Reply 1667
Original post by superstressed
I put work out the number of deaths due to cervical cancer using a representative sample of 100 000 people in each country.
Wrong?

Oh blast, howcome I never did anything like that? Maybe I shouldn't have moved from the wonders of my old school! Ever get the feeling when you think you might know someone on the forum but just can't be sure whether it's them? Anyhow, apologies for my mental bypass, must be some mitotic errors in my brain cells or a strange mutation which made me totally forget that this question was even on the paper...*sigh*
Original post by swiftylol
Yes.

Thankyou.. i'm really paranoid. sorry.
in total around 46-48, an A? |:
yeh yeh that all soudsn like what i wrote.

you know the lung question were the figures in the table volume in the lungs?

cos the heart one was pressure in the lungs

I really do hope so - i talked about volume \:
Original post by kingsmod1
i didnt mention sodium potasium pump or carrier proteins

i swer it sed adaptations of epitalil cells in small intestine, i spoke about vili which it hink is differnt but i put like diffsuino conc gradient, large sA?

i swear epithelial cells is different from villi

Epithelial cell have villi on them the villi have a substructure called microvilli on them to further increase S.A. Sodium potassium pump and carrier protein help with changing the concentration so that glucose can be absorbed.

Did you put short diffusion pathway as the epithelial cell is one cell thick?
what was the answer to the person breathing out, what showed it?
Original post by EffKayy

same so did I , i feel now looking back on it that i rushed the paper and have made mistakes which are careless and could cost me a lot of UMS ****
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
Thankyou.. i'm really paranoid. sorry.
in total around 46-48, an A? |:

Yes, most likley.

I felt like you feel now in January, just relax. By the looks of it you have the A you deserve, maybe even up to 100ums if the boundaries are low.
Original post by EffKayy

You need to relax I suggest turning the computer off and going to bed. I mean finding out what you have got wrong is not going to help you right now is it, it's just going to make you more worried and nervous about the next unit? There is nothing you can do, but revise for the next unit.
sameeeeeee

thanks guys, atleast i've got some moral support, going to focus on unit 2 now! (shock ;O :L )
Original post by swiftylol
Yes, most likley.

I felt like you feel now in January, just relax. By the looks of it you have the A you deserve, maybe even up to 100ums if the boundaries are low.

thanks! :smile: I'm kinda ishh... calm now :smile:

Thanks for the support anyways (:
It was definitely volume don't worry people, I remember the question on emphysema on why B is the diseased bloke because his volume does not decrease as substantially during exhalation compared to A.
Lets clarify this! :biggrin:

Lumen of Intestine (Ileum in the case of the question due to the epithelial cells) contains Villi.

On those villi are lots of Epithelial Cells.

Each Epithelial cell has lots of foldings called microvilli. This increases the surface area of the epithelial cells which allows for faster rate of diffussion to occur. (For this question I tried to use what I learnt from the other exam papers I done and wrote "So increases rate of diffussion after each explanation" hopefully those will earn me marks :P)

For the question it was the microvilli that was required to be explained as an adaptation. This is because microvilli are on the epithelial cells and Not villi on epithelial cells.

Anyway moving onto other questions, what did people get on the heart pressure questions? I got a 0.5 different (larger value (time) minus smaller value (time)). I got this as these were the times where the ventricle pressure was higher than the atria pressure. This causes the atrioventricular valves to be forced shut due to the pressure.

Also how many marks would this be for the phagocyte question? - Phagocytes surround (forgot to use engulf) the pathogen and wrap around it. This forms a vesicle inside the phagocyte (forgot to say phagosome), this then joins with another vesicle containing digestive enzymes which break down the pathogen and display the antigen on their surface to initiate T-cells and hence B-cells (immune response).

I hope I get good grades for this, I found the test alright but its just I ran out of time to get the last sentence in the very last question. I think I probs lost about 4-5marks at most, fingers crossed (I said the same thing las time I did it and lost lots of marks :s-smilie:)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by behnam1991
Lets clarify this! :biggrin:

Lumen of Intestine (Ileum in the case of the question due to the epithelial cells) contains Villi.

On those villi are lots of Epithelial Cells.

Each Epithelial cell has lots of foldings called microvilli. This increases the surface area of the epithelial cells which allows for faster rate of diffussion to occur. (For this question I tried to use what I learnt from the other exam papers I done and wrote "So increases rate of diffussion after each explanation" hopefully those will earn me marks :P)

For the question it was the microvilli that was required to be explained as an adaptation. This is because microvilli are on the epithelial cells and Not villi on epithelial cells.

Anyway moving onto other questions, what did people get on the heart pressure questions? I got a 0.5 different (larger value (time) minus smaller value (time)). I got this as these were the times where the ventricle pressure was higher than the atria pressure. This causes the atrioventricular valves to be forced shut due to the pressure.

Also how many marks would this be for the phagocyte question? - Phagocytes surround (forgot to use engulf) the pathogen and wrap around it. This forms a vesicle inside the phagocyte (forgot to say phagosome), this then joins with another vesicle containing digestive enzymes which break down the pathogen and display the antigen on their surface to initiate T-cells and hence B-cells (immune response).

I hope I get good grades for this, I found the test alright but its just I ran out of time to get the last sentence in the very last question. I think I probs lost about 4-5marks at most, fingers crossed (I said the same thing las time I did it and lost lots of marks :s-smilie:)

I didnt meantion immure response for the 4 marks on phagocytes, i jsut talked about phagocytosis and lysosmes and all that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending