The Student Room Group

What University offers the best RICS accredited Msc Course?

Can anyone tell me what university offers the best RICS accredited Msc courses??
Reply 1
bump this, would quite like to know too.
Kingston University has RICS accredited courses. I think some are also CIOB accredited too.
Original post by Berkeley89

Can anyone tell me what university offers the best RICS accredited Msc courses??

Is there any particular course you are looking for?
Reply 4
Original post by oh-my-diddy
Is there any particular course you are looking for?

Real Estate or Quantity Surveying.

I'm going to be graduating an undergrad in business with a 2.1.

Obvs I've done my research - CEM Reading is top of my list at the moment.
Reply 5
This link below will give you a whole list of RICS accredited courses worldwide.....48 Universities in the UK alone so happy hunting. Obviously the two career paths are quite different. I did QS as an undergrad and doing MSc Real Estate at Reading so it's a good combo to have. For Real Estate though, Reading is probably the best, with Cambridge and Cass very good for the finance related focus.

http://www.joinricsineurope.eu/uploads/files/RICSEDUWorldwidecourselisting.pdf
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by masterajb
This link below will give you a whole list of RICS accredited courses worldwide.....48 Universities in the UK alone so happy hunting. Obviously the two career paths are quite different. I did QS as an undergrad and doing MSc Real Estate at Reading so it's a good combo to have. For Real Estate though, Reading is probably the best, with Cambridge and Cass very good for the finance related focus.

http://www.joinricsineurope.eu/uploads/files/RICSEDUWorldwidecourselisting.pdf

You are a star.

What do you enjoy more / find more interesting. And reasons why?

I cannot decide what to go into. Because I do a financial services based degree now, I want to go into property investment, hence the reason for an RICS accredited masters. I just don't know which role to go for. QS is top of my list too because of the benefits later in life!
Reply 7
I did QS in JLMU and now I'm doing Real Estate Investment at Cass Business School - Both RICS courses... WHat are the benefits of QS later in life??!
Reply 8
Original post by dubmind
You are a star.

What do you enjoy more / find more interesting. And reasons why?

I cannot decide what to go into. Because I do a financial services based degree now, I want to go into property investment, hence the reason for an RICS accredited masters. I just don't know which role to go for. QS is top of my list too because of the benefits later in life!

For me personally, the real estate field is much more interesting. I am from Australia and worked with a firm called Currie & Brown (from the UK originally) and I hated it. We are overly traditional with the services QS's provide here so it's all Bill's of Quantity's, contract administration and some cost planning. Some of the older guys (all from the UK) were involved with expert witness and were paid through the wazoo but again, pretty boring. I just found it too blah and not exciting at all. Development is where my passion is and at least you get to see something unfold and created.

If your aim is property investment, I would advise against doing a postgrad in QS. Definitely go with a MSc REI from either Cass or Reading (the former being a bit better for investment, the latter for development) & try for Cambridge just because of its name.

I'm also interested in the 'benefits later in life!' comment. Could you elaborate? I'm interested because there is literally no career growth in that industry here. Start life measuring and die measuring.
Reply 9
Original post by masterajb

I'm also interested in the 'benefits later in life!' comment. Could you elaborate? I'm interested because there is literally no career growth in that industry here. Start life measuring and die measuring.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I've looked at those courses, I won't be able to get into Cambridge purely because I don't have enough UCAS points (it's stupid that they still use A-Levels to judge a person).

I probably shouldn't have said anything regarding the later in life without explaining it at all - was a bit rushed when posting my reply!

I pretty much had the vision of setting up a small partnership/business in QS, something you can usually do freelance/contractual basis. Plus the wage goes up and up from what I read.

The reason I don't want to go into financial investment is because it's boring, and a fair few of the industries employees are up themselves, which I can't deal with. And that's not just from reading the media, I know many people who have graduated and work in the FS services, and 7.30am - 5pm they don't enjoy their lives!

So yeah I'll take into consideration the CASS REI course, I'm not applying until 2012 anyway because I'm going to take a year out. Although I just read the tuition fees and £17,000....!
Reply 10
Original post by dubmind
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I've looked at those courses, I won't be able to get into Cambridge purely because I don't have enough UCAS points (it's stupid that they still use A-Levels to judge a person).

I probably shouldn't have said anything regarding the later in life without explaining it at all - was a bit rushed when posting my reply!

I pretty much had the vision of setting up a small partnership/business in QS, something you can usually do freelance/contractual basis. Plus the wage goes up and up from what I read.

The reason I don't want to go into financial investment is because it's boring, and a fair few of the industries employees are up themselves, which I can't deal with. And that's not just from reading the media, I know many people who have graduated and work in the FS services, and 7.30am - 5pm they don't enjoy their lives!

So yeah I'll take into consideration the CASS REI course, I'm not applying until 2012 anyway because I'm going to take a year out. Although I just read the tuition fees and £17,000....!

Well if you want to get into the real estate field, you should know what your ambitions are. If you are 'iffy' about it, then that's probably enough of a reason not to do it. I did QS (changed from construction management) in the hope to do project management whilst also retaining the skill set of a QS and that proved to be a pretty bad decision. Every day i worked for 13 months I wanted out and finally I did, went to do something where I have a genuine interest and haven't looked back. At the end of the day, you have to embark on something that you really enjoy. Napoleon Hill stated 'if you don't enjoy your work, you'll never be good at it'
Hi, I'd be too biased to tell you which is the "best" course because I work at UWE Bristol which offers a number of RICS accredited courses, but here's some info which I hope you'll find useful:

The RICS covers a wide range of disciplines, from Art and Antiques to Property and Construction, and hence it accredits a wide range of university courses. If you're thinking about property or construction and do not have a related degree, you need to look for a conversion course.

If you want to enter the Building or Quantity Surveying disciplines, you should note that there's quite a lot of technical detail that you need to master, and for this reason, here at UWE Bristol we have created 'Graduate Diploma' courses. The course comprises 60 taught credits at undergraduate level 2 and 60 taught credits and level 3, polished off by 60 taught credits at Masters level (and no dissertation). We think that this is more appropriate than getting students with no construction background to jump at Masters level with 120 taught credits at Masters level, immediately followed by a 60 credit Master's dissertation.

If you are looking at the Housing or Real Estate disciplines, there is less technical detail, and so we think the conventional Masters course structure (120 taught credits and 60 credits dissertation) is appropriate.

Julian Spicer, Admissions Manager at UWE Bristol (Faculty of Environment and Technology)
Reply 12

Try the below link.

http://www.ricscourses.org/Pages/Home.aspx

Its highly interactive. And you can search using variable filters like course type, region, etc etc. Each program listing would have the relevant uni link where you can read about the program more in detail.

I dont think there exists any specific uni or program ranking for real estate. But this should be enough for you to make an informed decision.

Cheers
Found something that might be useful to you:

"The School has been awarded status as a Centre for Excellence in Teaching & Learning by the Higher Education Funding Council for England, the only Built Environment School to achieve such standing. "

From the document attached.
Reply 14
Got a place at Reading to do Development Planning (DP), sound course. Plus very cheap in comparison to the other courses in the department Reading offer.
Also have a place for Environmental management (also at Reading) where I would move into surveying of the land(contamination etc), but with this not being accredited like the above, I'm not sure.

As a Geography graduate, I'm cautious of taking upon a new unrelated course, does anyone have any personal experience of taking up a RICS course, without a related Bsc degree? Any advice welcome.
Reply 16
Durham has a very good course.
Reply 17
I would say people do MA in economics rather then MSc because of less maths/econometrics/economic theory. If your dream job requires some of these then doing an MSc is a better job. Does the GES actually hire people with an MA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending