The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL5 Biology Unit 5 Exam - 22nd June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
hi
our school hasnt provided us with any past paper questions (as in from the old syllabus aswell)
has anybody got any links for this
i would be extremly grateful
thanks
Original post by choc1234
hi
our school hasnt provided us with any past paper questions (as in from the old syllabus aswell)
has anybody got any links for this
i would be extremly grateful
thanks

:s-smilie: Theres a link with a 500 page Word document in this thread.
Reply 142
Really worried about the essay bit :frown:
Ok, an idea from another thread now. Let's help each other out with revision!

I'll ask a revision question, someone should answer it and ask another question in the same post.

To start off: What are the parts of a sarcomere?
Reply 144
Hey! has anyone got the Jan 2010 biology unit 5 question paper?

any help much appreciated :smile:
Reply 145
Original post by RS23
Hey! has anyone got the Jan 2010 biology unit 5 question paper?

any help much appreciated :smile:

Don't think there was one :frown:
Reply 146
Original post by student777
Ok, an idea from another thread now. Let's help each other out with revision!

I'll ask a revision question, someone should answer it and ask another question in the same post.

To start off: What are the parts of a sarcomere?

The sarcomere is the distance between adjacent Z-lines, so it doesn't really have parts? Unless I've misunderstood the question? :confused:
What are the three main stages of the polymerase chain reaction, and its main advantages over the in vivo method of gene cloning?
Reply 147
Original post by silentgem
The sarcomere is the distance between adjacent Z-lines, so it doesn't really have parts? Unless I've misunderstood the question? :confused:
What are the three main stages of the polymerase chain reaction, and its main advantages over the in vivo method of gene cloning?

Heat to 95C to break hydrogen bonds. Cool to 55C to allow hydrogen bonds to recreate between DNA stand and primer. Heat to 72C as this is the optimum temperature for the Hot springs bacteria's DNA polymerase to function. It attaches the bases to each split DNA strand.
In vitro is much quicker, and it can be used when very little genetic material is present (Such as at a crime scene).

Describe the two methods of identifying and isolating DNA fragments for recombinant gene technology (Each mthod uses a certain enzyme)
Reply 148
i havent even started revising for this yet... makes me worried :s-smilie:

also are there really no jan2010 or Jan2011 past papers? because there is a jan2011 paper for chem5?!??!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 149
Original post by emmaaa65
i havent even started revising for this yet... makes me worried :s-smilie:

Samee; I'm so jelus of the other peoplee !!
We neeed to ge revisin ....

xx
Reply 150
Original post by Mazii
Samee; I'm so jelus of the other peoplee !!
We neeed to ge revisin ....

xx

i know tell me about it! i have a resit on monday for biol1 so i need to get that out of the way first! :frown:
Reply 151
what kind of ums do you guys need in this exam to get an A over all ?
im really worried
i need quite high!
Reply 152
Original post by choc1234
what kind of ums do you guys need in this exam to get an A over all ?
im really worried
i need quite high!

115. fml.
Reply 153
I need 80 UMS. We still need to finish homeostasis and feedback atm, I've nearly made all my notes in all subjects, time to start hardcore revision! Questions, questions and more questions...
Original post by silentgem

I was thinking the I bands, H zones etc... never mind :tongue:

Original post by Vidja

Describe the two methods of identifying and isolating DNA fragments for recombinant gene technology (Each mthod uses a certain enzyme)

Use restriction endonucleases to cut up a desired gene and insert it into a plasmid. Then insert the plasmids into bacteria. Use marker genes (antibiotic resistance, fluorescent proteins etc) to identify which bacteria have the desired gere.

That's one method... I really need to read up on this xD

For other people: Briefly describe what happens to proteins on the cell membrane during an action potential.
Original post by student777

Would be appreciated if someone tells me which paper has got some questions about Diagnosis-Treatment-prevention of cancer nd genetic disorder!!
:wink:
Reply 156
Original post by T.M 27
115. fml.

i know how u feel :s-smilie:
Reply 157
Are there really no January Unit 5 papers? Because Chemistry has January Unit 5 papers. Why wouldn't Biology?
Original post by Scrubby
Are there really no January Unit 5 papers? Because Chemistry has January Unit 5 papers. Why wouldn't Biology?

Because AQA are foolish and don't do January papers for the big unit so we literally only have the old spec + Jun10 to go off :/
Reply 159
Original post by RyuHADOUKEN
Because AQA are foolish and don't do January papers for the big unit so we literally only have the old spec + Jun10 to go off :/

But I do AQA Chemistry as well and they have January papers so naturally I assumed it would be the same for Biology. It is a little unfair though, it's true. I thought Chemistry didn't do Unit 2 or Unit 5 January exams either until I found the Unit 5 ones recently. So maybe there are Biology Unit 5 ones which have been hidden away.

Quick Reply