The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1440
I'm learning Japanese in Vietnam. I'm still at a quite basic level, but I have a speaking test next week! Haven't come across any Japanese speaking people here apart from my teachers. Any ideas on how I'm sposed to practice?
Original post by asabashoyuki
Maybe N4/N5? Definitely not higher than N4.

I'd disagree, the A-level was at a higher level than the N4, I would say it would be roughly at N3 level.
Reply 1442
x

439 anime watched? Whaaa-

Where do you find the time?
Original post by KaddyKadKad
I'd disagree, the A-level was at a higher level than the N4, I would say it would be roughly at N3 level.

Hmm, if you think so then it's fine, everyone has his/her own perspective :cool:
(but, have you looked at my last reply yet?)

Original post by Kodias
439 anime watched? Whaaa-
Where do you find the time?

I'm afraid that there's some more that I haven't added yet:colondollar: (just a few)

I watch anime since my (early) childhood so, meh, it's not actually that many if you think it that way.
Reply 1444
Original post by KaddyKadKad

I looked at examples of your Japanese A-levels, and I thought it was way easier than the old JLPT 3-Kyuu. N3 is supposed to be a little bit more difficult than the old one, right?
Original post by Ilot
I looked at examples of your Japanese A-levels, and I thought it was way easier than the old JLPT 3-Kyuu. N3 is supposed to be a little bit more difficult than the old one, right?

Glad to see someone supporting my view, ha:tongue:

(Never thought there's that many people watching this thread...)
Original post by Ilot

I took the old 3-kyuu half way through doing the AS and passed easily. You also need to know 600 kanji for the whole A-level so in that regard it would be higher than the old 3-kyuu.
Both exams are hard in various ways.

JLPT -
No writing
Loads of grammar
Loads of Kanji/Goi/honorifics
Really hard reading part

MC only, which allows candidates to use elimination method

A Level -
No listening
Translation part might be a bit 'painful'.
Reading part is dead easy, relatively less focused on grammar.

Facts
(Recommended learning hours, numbers of kanji, numbers of words)

N2:600 Hours, 1000 Kanji, 6000 Words
N3:Inbetween
N4:300, 300, 1500
N5:150, 100,800

AS:175,198, ?
A2:145,199,?

It's nowhere near N2. (Can't believe that I actually counted the learning hours and numbers of Kanji of AL exams by myself :rolleyes:)

Learning hours are estimates based on my other courses as I don't learn Japanese in school

(If you're interested about my background regarding Japanese)

Spoiler

Wow, your results are very impressive indeed. How long have you been studying Japanese? Was it in school or through self-study?

I am well versed in kanji because I speak and write Chinese but I never really seem to get above a certain threshold in Japanese. SO frustrating! I'm working through my Japanese textbooks more carefully now as to really learn the grammar patterns.
Original post by MizzPoly
Wow, your results are very impressive indeed. How long have you been studying Japanese? Was it in school or through self-study?

I am well versed in kanji because I speak and write Chinese but I never really seem to get above a certain threshold in Japanese. SO frustrating! I'm working through my Japanese textbooks more carefully now as to really learn the grammar patterns.

Thanks. I started learning Japanese from about seven years ago. Learnt in a weekend language school for three years then I stopped due to some reason. I didn't pick it up again until 2009 fall and I went for JLPT Level 2 directly after 3 months of self-studying. Similar thing happened next year.

So do I :biggrin:Well, all I can say is practice makes perfect. Study thoroughly and grasp the basics firmly. "Time" usually helps when you get stuck. Good luck :colone:
Reply 1449
Thanks. I started learning Japanese from about seven years ago. Learnt in a weekend language school for three years then I stopped due to some reason. I didn't pick it up again until 2009 fall and I went for JLPT Level 2 directly after 3 months of self-studying. Similar thing happened next year.

So do I :biggrin:Well, all I can say is practice makes perfect. Study thoroughly and grasp the basics firmly. "Time" usually helps when you get stuck. Good luck :colone:

How am am sposed to practice japanese when everyone keeps trying to speak to me in Vietnamese?
how do you get speaking practice?

also, how do you say: "i've already failed" and, "my Japanese is getting worse and worse"
Original post by kestral
How am am sposed to practice japanese when everyone keeps trying to speak to me in Vietnamese?

also, how do you say: "i've already failed" and, "my Japanese is getting worse and worse"

Vietnamese? wow...
Currently I don't have any chance to practice Japanese and I haven't had the chance for over three years already so I'm afraid I can't help you with that :redface:

JPG enclosed
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1451
I only just started learning Japanese. I began with the kana and (very) basic vocab. I know very little kanji but I aim to do the JLPT N5 during my first year in college. I am currently teaching my self but am searching for classes close to my area. Anyways, I printed out some resources from the jlpt website and there was so much!!!:eek: !!!
How long do you think it takes to be able to pass N5 if you are wholly self-taught?
Reply 1452
Original post by kestral

Depends on the situation, but some natural sounding things to say would be

1. mou dame da
2. nihongoryoku ga ochiteiru

(Sorry about the romaji...)

Original post by Akaten
I only just started learning Japanese. I began with the kana and (very) basic vocab. I know very little kanji but I aim to do the JLPT N5 during my first year in college. I am currently teaching my self but am searching for classes close to my area. Anyways, I printed out some resources from the jlpt website and there was so much!!!:eek: !!!
How long do you think it takes to be able to pass N5 if you are wholly self-taught?

A couple of months maybe? To be honest I'd have thought it better to save your money and take one of the higher levels when you get there. You also don't want to be studying *for* the JLPT. If your Japanese is good, you can pass N2 or N1 without studying for them, and your Japanese will be ten times more fluent and natural sounding that someone who's been studying Japanese for the JLPT, even if they get a higher score than you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kestral

If you have a mike and Skype you could scour www.lang-8.com which has a large Japanese population :smile: Though of course there is the time difference...
Reply 1454
Hi,
I am applying for the Modern Languages and Business and Management (Japanese) program at Manchester. I would also like to go on and get my MSc in Int'l Business and Management. I am an international student, and I would like to get a job in the UK after graduation. Do you guys think it would be possible to get a job in the UK with a degree in Japanese? I love Japan and Japanese, but I don't know if I would want to live there permanently. Are language and business skills in demand. I wanted to ask you guys, because you guys are actually applying for Japanese courses and probably know what you want to do with your degree...
Thanks!
Original post by Leafay

Original post by Leafay
Hi,
I am applying for the Modern Languages and Business and Management (Japanese) program at Manchester. I would also like to go on and get my MSc in Int'l Business and Management. I am an international student, and I would like to get a job in the UK after graduation. Do you guys think it would be possible to get a job in the UK with a degree in Japanese? I love Japan and Japanese, but I don't know if I would want to live there permanently. Are language and business skills in demand. I wanted to ask you guys, because you guys are actually applying for Japanese courses and probably know what you want to do with your degree...
Thanks!

Language skills are in demand though I'm not sure Japanese is in particular? I don't really know. I always hear language courses are struggling to hire people for their courses.
Original post by Akaten

I swear you can do it in a week, intensively.
Original post by Leafay
Hi,
Thanks!

I don't think you'll be hired based on the fact that you've got a Japanese degree. They'll be looking to hire you based on your academic background as well as other factors, so I wouldn't think Japanese would decrease your chances of getting employed ~ but it wouldn't necessarily boost the chances either.

You should try looking into jobs your interested and researching on the ease of a humanties graduate being offered that job etc. Also, I think your grade (degree-wise) will definitely have an impact on employers, i.e. getting a 1st is your best shot (and this applies to most/any degree).
Reply 1458
You folks who are doing Japanese as a degree/A-Level/Module, have you had your exams yet?

I had mine the other day (I do it as a elective module) and it wasn't too bad. The topic of the paper was ??????????? (Kaigai de hatarakitakunai shain.)

The writing tasks made me realise I need to do some more writing in Japanese. That and my handwriting could be better. :colondollar:
Reply 1459
Yeah, I had exams. Wasn't too bad, I didn't have any trouble with the writing as I'm still in first year so it's pretty easy. The orals were something else though, I definitely need to work on getting stuff spontaneous and increasing my vocabulary. I kind of stopped working during a few weeks and I'm now lagging behind. I'll have to work twice as much during the summer to try and get N4 next December so I can possibly go to Japan in 2012 when the world will end...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending