The Student Room Group

AS Geography Unit 1 AQA - 17th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by imightbewrong
Maybe its just me, but I thought eveything was really open ended and just.... gah. Hope the boundaries are low.

Yeah I thought this. Especially the hard/soft engineering question for rivers. I only ended talking about 2 methods and evaluating them and I don't know if they wanted a lot of methods or if a couple would do!! :frown:
Reply 21
Biggest disappointment: strengths and weaknesses of the DMT (15 marks). SO easy to get marks on and yet I couldn't remember more than 2!! And I had literally looked at them about 10 minutes before the exam as I flipped through my population notes.
Reply 22
I said lateral and medial moraine
Reply 23
I put lateral, englaical and sub glacial
Reply 24
i missed the whole of health section! i spent half an hour on the first 15 marker, and wrote random shizzle for the another 15 marker, and then wrote about half a page of randomness for the other 15 marker that i did. don't even know what i did for the rest of the questions, missed out so much and did crappy stuff. don't know how im even gunna get a pass even with the low grade boundaries. ah **** it, ill have to have sex with the examiners :frown: old wrinkly prats
Reply 25
What did everyone go for the the last 15 marker, (how transport is sustainable) or something like that?
Reply 26
Anyone else do the health topic? I couldn't find the term 'non-communicable' in any AS Geography textbooks?! I should've used my common sense, but after 1 hour & 50 minutes that was in short supply & I ended up writing a 2 page speil on HIV/AIDS :frown: Will I get any marks if I still described the impacts?
Reply 27
Original post by huggies55
i missed the whole of health section! i spent half an hour on the first 15 marker, and wrote random shizzle for the another 15 marker, and then wrote about half a page of randomness for the other 15 marker that i did. don't even know what i did for the rest of the questions, missed out so much and did crappy stuff. don't know how im even gunna get a pass even with the low grade boundaries.

Oh no, are you serious? 15 markers should only take 15 minutes!! Don't worry, it's possible to get an A even if the only questions you answered were the 15 markers (granted you need almost full marks for each one). You can still pass though :smile:
Reply 28
you guys are worrying me even more LOL I feel as if i really f***ed that paper up :frown:
Reply 29
Original post by M.dale
What did everyone go for the the last 15 marker, (how transport is sustainable) or something like that?

This was my worst structured essay but the one I knew best :p: I didn't paragraph ONCE! (I'm an English Lit student - this is an abomination for me haha :laugh:) It was quite difficult to relate to the question so I'm not sure if I've actually answered it. I talked about bio-fuel, hybrid engines, public transport, London congestion charge, Barclay's bike scheme and a lot of spiel about transport where I live. Not sure if any of it was right since I don't think I really linked it to sustainability apart from my last sentence which was something like 'and by doing this we are saving resources for future generations'. I finished my last word and the examiner said 'pens down' - lol score! :cool:
Reply 30
Original post by S_123
Biggest disappointment: strengths and weaknesses of the DMT (15 marks). SO easy to get marks on and yet I couldn't remember more than 2!! And I had literally looked at them about 10 minutes before the exam as I flipped through my population notes.

Yeah, hated that question. Got down quite a bit but it just didn't feel like I was saying the right stuff.
Reply 31
Original post by Deceiver
Yeah, hated that question. Got down quite a bit but it just didn't feel like I was saying the right stuff.

we had a conference with the chief executive person or what ever and he went with us through that question. well as a past exam question,
I had 10 minutes at the end to go over and change a desert answer (which I'm still not sure on!). I thought the paper was okay (rivers and deserts were iffy (I think)), but I've heard that a lot of people did HIV/AIDS for the last question because they didn't understand non-communicable. I did CHD linking to Obesity and Diabetes :biggrin: I even mentioned the epidemiological transition, to explain the level that it would be. - which impressed me considering that I only learnt it today.

This was my resit though, so I had the advantage of having done A2 as well.

I literally revised the Advantages and Disadvantages of the DMT, and the different approaches to health care (which I still got slightly wrong) this morning (around 4am) before my history exam. I had never heard of them before going to 'getrevising'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
I thought the paper was okayish apart from yes the last energy 15 marker! And the glacial moraine stuff... but i really ran out of time, couldn't go into enough detail in anything.

Grade boundaries will be pretty high i am guessing as it was an okay-ish paper? 80% for an A? What do they base them on? How people done, or the actual questions?
Reply 34
Everyone seems to be doing different topics to me o.o Noone else do Coasts and Food Supply? :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by angela4910
you guys are worrying me even more LOL I feel as if i really f***ed that paper up :frown:

Me too, don't worry :smile: I feel better after coming on here (and stuffing my face with food lol). Glad to know that others found it hard as well. I'm one of those annoying people who talks about exams afterwards and panics lol so this'll put my mind at ease for a while :p:
Reply 36
Original post by diesha
I thought the paper was okayish apart from yes the last energy 15 marker! And the glacial moraine stuff... but i really ran out of time, couldn't go into enough detail in anything.

Grade boundaries will be pretty high i am guessing as it was an okay-ish paper? 80% for an A? What do they base them on? How people done, or the actual questions?

grade boundaries are likelly to be low. a lot of people found the paper hard. they base in to he top 20% of the marks ect. thats how the aqa guy explained it to us. its based on how the whole exam went for people all over the world
Reply 37
Original post by S_123
Me too, don't worry :smile: I feel better after coming on here (and stuffing my face with food lol). Glad to know that others found it hard as well. I'm one of those annoying people who talks about exams afterwards and panics lol so this'll put my mind at ease for a while :p:

yeah. well we cant do anything now. im just happy other people found it hard so hopefully grade boundaries will be low. :smile: well all we can do now is wish for good marks haha
Reply 38
Original post by diesha

An okayish paper in geography is more like 65% for an A to be honest, mostly due to the horrific timings. Last June it was 60/120 for an A and in January it was 71.
Original post by S_123
Yeah I thought this. Especially the hard/soft engineering question for rivers. I only ended talking about 2 methods and evaluating them and I don't know if they wanted a lot of methods or if a couple would do!! :frown:

I just did the River Quaggy and Three Gorges comparing them together. I mentioned the costs, displacement, environmental impact and benefits, amongst a few other points. Is that similar to what you did?

(I sort of quadrupled the cost of the Three Gorges dam - I hope they don't penalise me)
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending