The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Tinkle
at the end of the day parents always know whats right for their child...they woulld never do something to hurt them.

<facepalm> Parents do all sorts of stupid sh*t, don't you watch the news? Plenty of examples there. Like a mother injecting an 8 year old with botox and giving her virgin waxes. She thinks shes doing it for the good of the child.

But my point is, please do not indoctrinate your children. Teach them to question what they are told and tell them about all the different reli...oh who am I kidding, you're gonna do the exact same thing your parents did. Do prove me wrong
Original post by Tasneemo
to hold respect in the family name or something.
it's a pride thing. Communities are proud of their own kind and look down upon others, so marrying someone from another culture/religion is practically belittling yourself and will tarnish the family name.

But I thought in a lot of countries (i.e. India) getting a white girlfriend (or a very well educated, rich white man) was also seen as a status symbol? Moreso the girlfriend i think
Reply 62
Because their parents are afraid of change and too ignorant to see that inter-cultural mixing is healthy.
Reply 63
Original post by Tinkle
marrying our "own kind"?

I'm sure "non asians" don't mind people marrying in to their own race, i mean most people marry into their own race. But i do feel that this should not be forced upon anyone though. The statement "Asian girls must marry their own kind!" is a tad silly.
Original post by surina_xxx
I'm asian and that is far from true everyone in my family like my cousins have married who every they wanted to and their parents havn't cared about race or anything

You're so ****ing lucky.

I love a muslim girl but she said her brother would go insane if she was to go out with me - there was a time during a revision session when her brother actually came into school to see who she was hanging out with :frown: *Sigh* I feel depressed every time I think about it :frown:
Reply 65
Original post by AishaTara
I'm with you with that one! Sme I want to stick to my own race and people are like whyy, is it because of your parents influence?? Which isn't true at all, i came to that conclusion myself.

thank you i completely agree!
Reply 66
Original post by Anonymous
You're so ****ing lucky.

I love a muslim girl but she said her brother would go insane if she was to go out with me - there was a time during a revision session when her brother actually came into school to see who she was hanging out with :frown: *Sigh* I feel depressed every time I think about it :frown:

wooah that's over the top, one of my best friend really liked this guy and they went out for a bit but in the end his parents made him dump her, it was so sad! So do you think you will ever be with her?
Reply 67
Original post by daryl
I'm sure "non asians" don't mind people marrying in to their own race, i mean most people marry into their own race. But i do feel that this should not be forced upon anyone though. The statement "Asian girls must marry their own kind!" is a tad silly.

i agree! it has never been forced upon me to marry my own kind. it is my own decison...i think i am old enough to make that decision! that fact that its forced upon some asian girls is quite unfortunate..but its never been forced upon me.
Original post by Angelus
Break out of the tradition. Your parents are just holding on to what they believe is right. Thing is: that is not what all the Asians of this generation believe. I would tell such Asians to not carry on a tradition due to pressure or guilt, but do what they feel is right.

i knw i dont follow that tradition eventhough my parents to brainwash me in to it and yh im interested in any girls who have nice personalities :smile:
Original post by AishaTara
well not really because they'd be social factors for example, I don't drink, wouldn't want alcohol in the house, but an english husband might do etc
well there are about over 10million muslims so I dont think I'd be limited for choice really :P
and I should yes your right, but personally well I wouldn't fall in love with another nationality, because I just don't feel anything in that way for them only like friends :/ the same way some of my english friends say they dont feel any attraction to asians

There are a lot of English people who don't drink, and I'm not talking necessarily about English people. But it's like you've already judged anyone who isn't Muslim or the same nationality as you before meeting them at all, it's quite rude.

How do you know you won't find someone else attractive? It not usually PLANNED!
There are plenty of mixed race couples, so clearly some English people DO find Asians attractive.

I just think judging people based on their ethnicity like that is actually a bit racist. But each to their own I guess.
Reply 70
Original post by Tinkle
thank you i completely agree!

You live in a European country but you will not date the European race.
I think its just easier? Like same culture, language and whatnot..
But in saying that, if you're both born in the UK and grown up with the culture then you'd have the same culture (and language) anyway?

I know a a lot of people who have got married to other cultures (who were Asian) so I don't agree with the title of this thread =/
Reply 72
Original post by Tinkle
i agree! it has never been forced upon me to marry my own kind. it is my own decison...i think i am old enough to make that decision! that fact that its forced upon some asian girls is quite unfortunate..but its never been forced upon me.

Thats good :smile: I'm white and i have only ever been out with 2 Asian girls since i left school.
Reply 73
i know people who are indian and have married turkish people english people i dont think its based on ethnicity but mainly religion
Reply 74
Original post by MDMD
<facepalm> Parents do all sorts of stupid sh*t, don't you watch the news? Plenty of examples there. Like a mother injecting an 8 year old with botox and giving her virgin waxes. She thinks shes doing it for the good of the child.

But my point is, please do not indoctrinate your children. Teach them to question what they are told and tell them about all the different reli...oh who am I kidding, you're gonna do the exact same thing your parents did. Do prove me wrong

ok your talking about a very small minority of crazy mothers there. but your just being plain rude there. you think i dont question things..oh i question things mate..but i make my own conclusions..dont you dare say my parents forced things upon me! i will teach my children to question things and i will let them make their own decisions. and i dont feel it neccasry to prove you right or wrong!
Presumably because it's much easier to fall into really debilitating poverty in Asia, so working hard helps to reduce the chances of that?
Reply 76
Original post by daryl
Thats good :smile: I'm white and i have only ever been out with 2 Asian girls since i left school.

:biggrin: lol! good for you! you can go out with as many asian girls you like love..i have absolutely no problem with it..i dont consider it a crime for an asian to go out with a non-asian..everyone is entitled their own opinion! :biggrin:
Reply 77
Original post by Tinkle
:biggrin: lol! good for you! you can go out with as many asian girls you like love..i have absolutely no problem with it..i dont consider it a crime for an asian to go out with a non-asian..everyone is entitled their own opinion! :biggrin:

Yeah you are right, i hope you were not being sarcastic haha.
Reply 78
Original post by Nigel9
You live in a European country but you will not date the European race.

and that is a issue why? i pay taxes..i vote...i work for english people. i do have a race of my own!
Reply 79
Original post by daryl
Yeah you are right, i hope you were not being sarcastic haha.

LOL! no! haha :P

Latest