The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reminisce
I'm only absolutely sure about one mark that I have lost which is the buffer one (so frustrated that I overlooked it... I guess I was a bit slack on that area of revision, been doing heart, lungs and immunity mostly) otherwise I can't pinpoint anything else. Although I've probably lost a handful more around... Just a critical guess... 6 - 7 marks in total lost?

think i've lost around 9-10 marks, which is still okay :smile:
good luck on your results.
Reply 1741
does anyone think you will get a mark for mentioning caarier protiens or proteins channels
Reply 1743
Thanks for that rough mark scheme-i got pretty much all of those points you mentioned, so if it is very close, i could be lucky and get an A this time. i spent the whole of that discussion question on clymydia talking about attacking heart muscle so i probably lost few marks there. Thanks again.
Original post by EffKayy
Chlamydia?
Atheroma is caused by LDLs(or cholerstoral) (1) in artery wall (1);
Atheroma linked to thombosis (1)
Coronary artery blocked (1)
means no oxygen can reach heart muscle(1)
heart muscle cannot respire/dies(1) (MAX 3??)
Antigen
protein (1) which causes a stimulation in antibodies/causes an immune response(1)
Why it attacks muscles
Similar antigens(1)
are COMPLEMENTARY (to muscles). REJECT: same

Evaluate:
Yes - memory cells produced (1), so when pathogen invades again, much faster stimulation in antibodies (1) long term immunity?
No - done on mice? - cant generalise (1) - memory cells (1)will attack the muscle(1), sample size unknown (?!??!) (1), side effects (1), antigenic variability (1) - pathogen may mutate, and form new strains(1)
max 3.
/10

wahooo, i might have salvged a mark for saying it will attack the muscle !!! :biggrin:

cheers for the link, 43 for an A , hmmmmm if thats what it turns out to be like, i might just have salvaged an A, but lets wait and see, hopefully i get an A in BIOL2 and then smack the chemistry edexcel exams ill be happy :biggrin::biggrin::wink:
Original post by James A
cheers for the link, 43 for an A , hmmmmm if thats what it turns out to be like, i might just have salvaged an A, but lets wait and see, hopefully i get an A in BIOL2 and then smack the chemistry edexcel exams ill be happy :biggrin::biggrin::wink:

It may be lower than 43, who knows mate :wink:
for the question on the when the valve closes
how many mark points are there in the explanation part?
all i put was the pressure the the ventricle is greater than that of the atrium :s-smilie:
would anyone be able to upload the paper online wid a copy of answers they think fits
would be realli helpful
ma teacher has a copy buh she wouldnt let us see it
she keeps sayin wots dun is dun jus revise for ur others nw
Original post by clever clogg
would anyone be able to upload the paper online wid a copy of answers they think fits
would be realli helpful
ma teacher has a copy buh she wouldnt let us see it
she keeps sayin wots dun is dun jus revise for ur others nw

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1643032

That is an unofficial mark scheme.

Your teacher does have a point all you can do now is revise for your next unit 2 bio exam.
Reply 1750
just wondering about that vaccine QU - im pretty sure that the antigen is similar to the mices' heart muscle antigens and thus the antibodies created would therefore attack the heart muscle. So i didnt put that it would attack the human heart in the evaluation because it only stated it was the similar to the antigen for mice and not humans.
Original post by EffKayy
4. Lungs?;
Why breathing out? Decrease in tidal volume of lungs (1);
Calculation (2); 1.4? (got that wrong), 1 mark for principle (dividing vol/time);
Emphsema: not as much air breathed out as person A as the decrease in volume of lungs is less, (due to loss of elasticity) (MAX 1);
Alveoli walls break down/walls THICKEN(1), reduces surface area (1)
Loss of Elastin/ Loss of elasticity (so can't recoil/deflate fully) (1); reduces concentration/diffusion gradient (1) (MAX 4)

/7

1.4 was correct
Original post by Liron Ingleby
1.4 was correct

yes :smile:. what do you think you've got then?
Original post by Limitless
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1643032

That is an unofficial mark scheme.

Your teacher does have a point all you can do now is revise for your next unit 2 bio exam.

can u add it as an attchment here cuz wen i try to click on the like it doesnt seem to be working
n tnx soo much for the link
Original post by clever clogg
can u add it as an attchment here cuz wen i try to click on the like it doesnt seem to be working
n tnx soo much for the link

It's part of the opening post it isn't a file.
i found it
tnx
Original post by sukh5032
just wondering about that vaccine QU - im pretty sure that the antigen is similar to the mices' heart muscle antigens and thus the antibodies created would therefore attack the heart muscle. So i didnt put that it would attack the human heart in the evaluation because it only stated it was the similar to the antigen for mice and not humans.

oh yeahhh, spot on there, now i understand why i got it wrong, no valid conclusions can be made on mice !!!! or sample size
Reply 1758
Hello, I cant seem to find the mark scheme, forgive me if I am asking a stupid question.
Av
Original post by EffKayy
yes :smile:. what do you think you've got then?

not sure to be honest, i messed the last question up and probably only got 2/3 marks. and i wasnt sure about the question with the calculating the death rates. the antigen question was weirld worded but the rest seemed ok. its a resit and i got 76 last time so im hoping for an A and preferably 90+ UMS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending