The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

also, which universities (preferably the less pbl ones) are more about the personal-statement and which ones put more emphasis on the UKCAT (or bmat) score?
i know birmingham and a couple others like people to have a lot of A*s at gcse.
seems to me it makes sense to play to strengths... but a bit confused with which unis put more emphasis on what ... ?? thanks!
Original post by Stegosaurus
What's the teaching style like at Aberdeen?
"...a variety of methods including lectures, tutorials, practical anatomy and clinical sessions and small group Community Course session..." sounds rather appealing.

Well it is has a good mixture. Lots of lectures through the week with anatomy (prosection which is very practical, you do get to delve in) and physiology taught in systems after Christmas of your first year. Before that you do 'Science for Medicine' and 'Principles of Disease'. This is mainly biochemistry, microbiology, basic pharmacology, physiology and anatomy.

You usually get between 2-6 hours of clinical skills a week. In first year you do history taking, general +resp+CVS examinations, ECG, blood pressure. First of all trying it out on volunteer patients and then on real patients when your wards start after Christmas (every friday morning).

The community course involves students in groups getting taught in a GP practice or outpatient unit. Here you do tutorials about aspects of medicine that are more humanities e.g epidemiology. And you get to meet patients and experience medicine outside hospital.
Reply 2942
what minimum final AS grades do you need, to get a chance of an interview?
Original post by lucy1234
what minimum final AS grades do you need, to get a chance of an interview?

No idea, I did Highers so aren't too sure. Have a read here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Original post by banana_smoothie
Anyone applying to Cardiff Med School ?

I'm considering it :biggrin: where else you looking at? :smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I will buy everyone who applies to Aberdeen a drink.

Seeing as I applied last year, if I apply again this year can I have two? :biggrin: lol
Hi guys - I'm sure a lot of you are already aware of this but the recent fees changes and possible planned changes to the NHS bursary are likely to prevent a lot of graduates going into medicine from 2012 onwards. Maybe someone's already posted this, but it's worth posting again so people know about it! There's a petition going on at the moment, and the more people who can sign it - and if you're willing, write to your MPs about the issue - the better. :smile:

http://www.savegem.co.uk/
If you get 4 rejections (:eek:) but you get into your 5th choice (like biomedical science or something,) can you reapply for medicine in your 1st year of the biomed degree? (ie then if you are rejection for medicine again (:ashamed2:) you can still carry on with biomed?)

also, this may be a silly question but if you do decide to fill in a different course for the 5th choice (whether or not its something really closely related to medicine) ... will it not make for very strange reading for the admissions tutor for the other course to see a medicine personal statement ... or is this the norm for courses like biomed which a lot of hopeful medics use as a 5th choice?

thanks!
Original post by Stegosaurus
I've never known anything different, so I can't really comment :redface:
I know my school uses OCR over AQA for chemistry to avoid the horrendously specific marking scheme like we have in biology, but I don't know why we use OCR B over OCR A.

Yeah AQA is very precise with the wording they want you to use.
Reply 2949
Yep! It's my favourite city in the UK and the course looks great, so first choice I think :smile:

ah me too! i have some family near there as well so i won't be TOTALLY isolated from family!
Reply 2950
Original post by giraffegiraffe
If you get 4 rejections (:eek:) but you get into your 5th choice (like biomedical science or something,) can you reapply for medicine in your 1st year of the biomed degree? (ie then if you are rejection for medicine again (:ashamed2:) you can still carry on with biomed?)

also, this may be a silly question but if you do decide to fill in a different course for the 5th choice (whether or not its something really closely related to medicine) ... will it not make for very strange reading for the admissions tutor for the other course to see a medicine personal statement ... or is this the norm for courses like biomed which a lot of hopeful medics use as a 5th choice?

thanks!

heyy..
I dont think so, in my year people are actually applying for different courses which are very far related to medicine.
Apparently, students do apply for areas such as economics & maths ! But, you have to make sure that you have those subjects like economics in AS.
There are other medically related courses which you can take apart from bio-med like medical pharmacology, pharmacy, physiotherapy, radiotherapy and oncology..
You just have to have a look at the undergraduate prospects & see which course is quite suitable for you..
HI :biggrin:
Im just wondering how much of a disadvantage id be at if i have to retake some of my AS modules in Year 13 ?

And if theres anywhere that just literally would refuse me at a glance :frown:
Reply 2952
do unis know if u have resitted a module?
Id imagine they do because you cant certificate your AS's if your doing module resits in year 13
Original post by aqua05
heyy..
I dont think so, in my year people are actually applying for different courses which are very far related to medicine.
Apparently, students do apply for areas such as economics & maths ! But, you have to make sure that you have those subjects like economics in AS.
There are other medically related courses which you can take apart from bio-med like medical pharmacology, pharmacy, physiotherapy, radiotherapy and oncology..
You just have to have a look at the undergraduate prospects & see which course is quite suitable for you..

thanks, i will start having a good look around soon. thankou :smile:
hey, im in y12 and in y8 i was moved up a year so i kinda skipped half of y8 and half of y9 .
I have heard that some unis do not accept sstudents that are 17 years old when they start or that arent 18 years old before the first day of second semestre .
All this for medicine i mean.
Does anyone know if its true ? or what i could do in the case of me not being accepted because of my age ?
What are your opinions on gap years and defred entreys for medicine ?
Thanks ! :P
I am doing AS physics, maths, chemistry and bio.
I plan on droppinng A2 physics and doing further maths AS next year ?
any opinions on that ?
Original post by Machimbawe

hey, im in y12 and in y8 i was moved up a year so i kinda skipped half of y8 and half of y9 .
I have heard that some unis do not accept sstudents that are 17 years old when they start or that arent 18 years old before the first day of second semestre .
All this for medicine i mean.
Does anyone know if its true ? or what i could do in the case of me not being accepted because of my age ?
What are your opinions on gap years and defred entreys for medicine ?
Thanks ! :P

A lot of the uni websites, infact most that I've been on, do say that students need to be 18 by the time the course starts. I guess it would be best to contact some of them and see what they say?

Also, about your plans to drop Physics and take on FM, I can't see it being much of a problem, I don't think it would benefit you as a medical applicant, don't think it would make much difference really.
I am doing AS physics, maths, chemistry and bio.
I plan on droppinng A2 physics and doing further maths AS next year ?
any opinions on that ?

If it's something you think you'll enjoy then do it, but obviously it'll be more work - if you thing it would endanger your getting the grades you need in your A2s then I'd say it wouldn't be a good idea.

I can't think of any application-related benefit where medicine's concerned, though - you'll already have 4 'AS' levels and be doing 3 'A' levels, so I'm not sure it'll put you in a better place application-wise.

That said, I'm not a maths student, so someone'll probably produce something I've not thought of :smile:

Also, ditto to what oHellno said - best to get in contact with unis and hear about about their age policies straight from the horse's mouth.
(edited 12 years ago)
I will wait for my AS results to come in the summer and then ill decide.
ANd thanks, ill get in touch with unis and ask.
I would totally love to take a gap year !

Latest

Trending

Trending