The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Isn't early 20's when you start getting people dropping dead of previously undiagnosed cardiac conditions? I'm not even on BSc yet and I still can't think of any causes of AF :getmecoat:

Aortic stenosis does have the snag of dropping dead, yes, it gets really really bad when the area is less than 1cm...But you're right - if he was Indian you would very much be thinking about this - they have early accelerated cardiac death, lots of heart attacks; although I think classically in the 30s range, but not a good one to miss.
Reply 3461
Original post by Wangers

Original post by Wangers
Aortic stenosis does have the snag of dropping dead, yes, it gets really really bad when the area is less than 1cm...But you're right - if he was Indian you would very much be thinking about this - they have early accelerated cardiac death, lots of heart attacks; although I think classically in the 30s range, but not a good one to miss.

Was he a mule?
Original post by visesh
Was he a mule?

You mean built as a house or phenomenally stupid and or infertile? :tongue:
Original post by Wangers

Or a drug mule smuggling drugs inside himself maybe? :wink:
Reply 3464
I can no longer see out of my window (which is a surprising source of distraction, staring into space becomes very interesting when you've got to revise) due to the sheer volume of post-its covering it with notes on for exams.
Immunology has too many abbreviations :huff:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Immunology has too many abbreviations :huff:

Thou shalt not speak ill of immunology.
Reply 3467
Original post by Wangers

Original post by Wangers

The drug type! Cocaine, perhaps? I'm just going by the demography and history, and not bothering with the medicine malarky. I think that's the way forward with finals.
Original post by visesh
The drug type! Cocaine, perhaps? I'm just going by the demography and history, and not bothering with the medicine malarky. I think that's the way forward with finals.

Just got that...This was a case that was presented to us in a seminar type thing basically I think to get us to think laterally and start applying some clinical perspective on cases. So normally, just off plane, with new onset AF would make people think VTE. Thats entirely fair enough, but the point was to make us consider other causes as well and to start realising what might be important and what really isn't. The fact that quite a few people said DVT without first suggesting examining the patient I think made the point quite well.

As far as I remember, not a mule, seemed to be a respectable chap just returned from a business secondment abroad.
Original post by Kinkerz
Thou shalt not speak ill of immunology.

am currently going through leukemias - They all look the same!
Reply 3470
Suffering from serious lack of motivation. This rotation sucks. Nothing is a challenge anymore. Arg
Original post by crazylemon
man I am ****ed come clinicals next year...I feel like I know nothing, well not really more how to apply what sort of sank in over the last 2 years...

Totally with you on that one, although very much looking forward to it. Hoping it will be a change for the better.
I got taught to suture today :awesome:
Original post by crazylemon
That is not true. My haematology torture day taught me so.

I might have forgotten most of how to differentiate but I did know it....

man I am ****ed come clinicals next year...I feel like I know nothing, well not really more how to apply what sort of sank in over the last 2 years...

Lies...:angry::frown::eek::redface:

Also, I feel the fear, there is so much stuff...
Reply 3474
Hi guys, I hope you're enjoying autumn (summer seems to have arrived and vacated in April), not that I've seen much of it as like many of you I've taken up residence in the library for the past month.

My OSCE is around the corner on Tuesday, and I'm looking to slicken up and get some extra questions/moves in history/exams to stand out - I thought the brains on here would undoubtedly have some great ones, and I'd be really grateful if you'd share :smile: cheers
Getting really annoyed with this book now. Been tasked to read a chapter of the Sociology of Health - ethnicity, race and health. It says there's no such thing as race and we are all the same. The differences in our genes are so minimal they don't make a difference and so shouldn't be used to segregate us into races. Race and ethnicity is nothing more than social construct. Yes I agree we should all be treated the same but don't tell me a forensic anthropologist couldn't tell the difference in skeletons between Caucasian and Asian. We share 99% of our genes with mice but you wouldn't say there's no significant difference between the two of us. The treatment protocol for hypertension has one pathway for under 55s and not Black/Afro Caribbean and another for over 55 or Black/Afro Caribbean. Should the evidence that went into this distinction be ignored because the differences between Black/Afro Caribbean and any other race is too minute to consider, or all in the mind? :angry: /rant
Original post by ilovehotchocolate
Getting really annoyed with this book now. Been tasked to read a chapter of the Sociology of Health - ethnicity, race and health. It says there's no such thing as race and we are all the same. The differences in our genes are so minimal they don't make a difference and so shouldn't be used to segregate us into races. Race and ethnicity is nothing more than social construct. Yes I agree we should all be treated the same but don't tell me a forensic anthropologist couldn't tell the difference in skeletons between Caucasian and Asian. We share 99% of our genes with mice but you wouldn't say there's no significant difference between the two of us. The treatment protocol for hypertension has one pathway for under 55s and not Black/Afro Caribbean and another for over 55 or Black/Afro Caribbean. Should the evidence that went into this distinction be ignored because the differences between Black/Afro Caribbean and any other race is too minute to consider, or all in the mind? :angry: /rant

What we call race should really be more like breeds... i.e. we are all homo sapiens sapiens - but like dogs we have different features and colours etc. That's a better way of thinking about it (I think that's right, might have messed up somewhere)
Reply 3477
Original post by ilovehotchocolate

well I think race means separating people using their physical characteristics, in which case there are definitely similarities and differences - obviously skin pigmentation is one and there are many others like you have mentioned.

Of interest biochemically renin levels are comparatively low in the AC/elderly population, which is why they are managed with volume/vascular tone meds rather than ACEi which lower RAS tone.

this smells like wishy washy sociology to me, I hate how PCness is slowly creeping into medicine - we'll have the pope setting NICE guidelines soon. yes obviously you should ignore this with respect to treating hypertension, which has proper clinical research backing it rather than a field full of stoned philosophers and harry potheads.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Philosoraptor
What we call race should really be more like breeds... i.e. we are all homo sapiens sapiens - but like dogs we have different features and colours etc. That's a better way of thinking about it (I think that's right, might have messed up somewhere)

That's pretty cool. Thanks :smile: The chapter says apparently we as humans haven't been around long enough to have evolved into different types yet but I like your dog analogy. I'm open minded in that I think sociology can be useful to understand in med, but when it's going to talk complete bull I'm not interested. It's being over-sensitive for the sake of being PC.
Reply 3479
Anyone know if V5/6 is in the same horizontal plane, or the same intercostal plane, as V4 please?

TSR loving

Latest

Trending

Trending