The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

So I really enjoyed Fast Five. I've never had a great liking for the franchise in general, they are good action films though. Fast Five was certainly the strongest of the series. Took on the essence of Ocean's Eleven and other heist films too. A lot of people were saying that you had to stick around for the post-credits, and I did...

Spoiler

I watched I Love You Too at the cinema today. We wanted to watch Hanna or The Housemaid but the times didn't work at all for us, so we plumped for I Love You Too. Pretty awful, I must say! I wasn't expecting anything great though, so I didn't mind too much...

Just finished watching The Return (Vozvrashcheniye), a Russian film... I had to watch it for schoolwork but it was actually pretty good. Absolutely amazing cinematography, even if the story was a bit odd. It's on Youtube with English subtitles if anyone's interested.
Reply 1822
Going to watch The Last of the Mohicans as a post-first exam victory.

Original post by mimimimi
I watched I Love You Too at the cinema today. We wanted to watch Hanna or The Housemaid but the times didn't work at all for us, so we plumped for I Love You Too. Pretty awful, I must say! I wasn't expecting anything great though, so I didn't mind too much...

Just finished watching The Return (Vozvrashcheniye), a Russian film... I had to watch it for schoolwork but it was actually pretty good. Absolutely amazing cinematography, even if the story was a bit odd. It's on Youtube with English subtitles if anyone's interested.

Interesting, I was shuffling around that film last night.
(edited 12 years ago)
Roger Ebert responds to Terrence Malick's Tree of Life with predictable praise. Considers it a 'form of prayer'. :dontknow: Anyway, really looking forward to this:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/05/a_prayer_beneath_the_tree_of_l.html
Original post by Christien
Roger Ebert responds to Terrence Malick's Tree of Life with predictable praise. Considers it a 'form of prayer'. :dontknow: Anyway, really looking forward to this:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/05/a_prayer_beneath_the_tree_of_l.html

Sounds like it's going to be truly heart-wrenching... I can't wait!
Reply 1825
Have recently started listening to the Filmspotting podcast and I love it! Their Top 5 lists have introduced me to a lot of great films!

Also, I'm very excited about We Need To Talk About Kevin, I've never been so affected by a novel as I was by that, I hope the film does it justice!
Watched Limitless. Unabashedly escapist and trashy to the point where it verges on insulting, but entertaining enough I suppose.

Also finally saw Straw Dogs last night. It's brilliant. Dustin Hoffman beartraps a man's face!
(edited 12 years ago)
Watched Limitless. Unabashedly escapist and trashy to the point where it verges on insulting, but entertaining enough I suppose.

Especially...

Spoiler

Original post by aja89
Have recently started listening to the Filmspotting podcast and I love it! Their Top 5 lists have introduced me to a lot of great films!

Also, I'm very excited about We Need To Talk About Kevin, I've never been so affected by a novel as I was by that, I hope the film does it justice!

Which films have they recommended? What do these top 5 lists cover?
Reply 1829
Original post by noggins
Which films have they recommended? What do these top 5 lists cover?

Well the podcast is done by two guys and each week they both create a Top 5 list for a specific topic, for example the one I just listened to was their respective top five 'films about films'. Introduced me to movies like The Player and Full Frontal. :smile:
Original post by aja89
Well the podcast is done by two guys and each week they both create a Top 5 list for a specific topic, for example the one I just listened to was their respective top five 'films about films'. Introduced me to movies like The Player and Full Frontal. :smile:

I still need to watch The Player... heard it's pretty good. Have they done a top 5 for action movies yet?
Reply 1831
Original post by noggins
I still need to watch The Player... heard it's pretty good. Have they done a top 5 for action movies yet?

They have, most choices pretty predictable but a few interesting ones, the '/'s were for when they couldn't possibly choose between the two. :h:

Adam
1. The Bourne Identity
2. The Matrix / The Terminator
3. Die Hard / Lethal Weapon
4. The Killer
5. First Blood

Sam
1. Die Hard
2. The Bourne Identity/Supremacy
3. The Professional
4. Mission Impossible 3
5. Escape From New York
I saw The Good, the Bad and the Ugly today :gah:

Clint Eastwood :coma: :sogood: There are no words to describe that kind of presence!

Other than that the film was amazing! So far I have really really really enjoyed the films I've watched from the imdb top 250 list :yep: though some are much better than others, but I think that is only due to personal preference.

and I am going to see Pirates of the Carribean 4 on Monday...for free plus a snack and champagne before the movie :mmm: :jive:
P Diddy in Get him to the Greek xD ahh, gotta love celebrity cameos.

Need to see Thor still... not uberly excited to see Potc 4 though tbh, more excited for The Hangover part 2!
Original post by MizzCupcakes
I saw The Good, the Bad and the Ugly today :gah:

Clint Eastwood :coma: :sogood: There are no words to describe that kind of presence!

:five: I love Sergio Leone Westerns. If you want more Eastwood stuff, watch the rest of the Dollars trilogy - A Fistful Of Dollars, and For A Few Dollars More. Once Upon A Time In The West is Eastwood-free, but is probably Leone's best.

Wait, I remember saying much of this before. I really do like Westerns :colondollar:
I will never get tired of heaping praise upon Sergio Leone. Best westerns ever, even though they totally deconstructed the entire genre :holmes:
(edited 12 years ago)
I will never get tired of heaping praise upon Sergio Leone. Best westerns ever, even though they totally deconstructed the entire genre :holmes:

Totally.
Original post by Jace Falco

Original post by Jace Falco
:five: I love Sergio Leone Westerns. If you want more Eastwood stuff, watch the rest of the Dollars trilogy - A Fistful Of Dollars, and For A Few Dollars More. Once Upon A Time In The West is Eastwood-free, but is probably Leone's best.

Wait, I remember saying much of this before. I really do like Westerns :colondollar:

Thanks :biggrin: I don't blame you for liking loving Westerns. :wink:

Right now I'm gonna have breakfast and watch Chinatown
Have you seen this? :mmm:

Reply 1839
Was anyone up watching Film 4 yesterday night? If so, do any of you know the name of that short film that was on in between Mary & Max and Final Destination 2?

Quick Reply

Latest