The Student Room Group

Higher History Liberal Reforms Help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Martyna156
mention them, but perfaps briefly For example: The medical Inspection Act 1907, was passed, ebcause the Government was alarmed by the health of children, and this act allowed the schools to act against parents of children in 'verminous conditions'. The medical inspections did very little to solve anything, and the free medical care for children was only available from 1912, which can suggest that this act wasn't really successful blah, blah, blah?

Yeah, I had a whole paragraph about the inspections. Couldn't find a anything to take out of the Provision of Meals Act paragraph. :\ Might just squeeze it in but 1,200 words is really my limit for 40 minutes.
Reply 21
that's a lot :L but under pressure, people usually write faster (including me), so I think you will amnage that : ) just remember that you shouldn't' talk round the question and that you always link whatever you are saying to it
Reply 22
that's a lot :L but under pressure, people usually write faster (including me), so I think you will amnage that : ) just remember that you shouldn't' talk round the question and that you always link whatever you are saying to it

Yeah, I do. During the prelim, I was pretty much finishing off my second essay when I realised there was only two minutes left.

Btw, do you know if they can ask a question like, "Why did it take so long for women to get the vote?" because I haven't seen anything like that in any of the past papers I've looked at.
Original post by laridum
Btw, do you know if they can ask a question like, "Why did it take so long for women to get the vote?" because I haven't seen anything like that in any of the past papers I've looked at.

That topic has been taken out of the British topic completely, which I'm angry at because my teacher taught me it anyway :mad:
Reply 24
Original post by chr1stopher11
That topic has been taken out of the British topic completely, which I'm angry at because my teacher taught me it anyway :mad:

Ah, I figured that was the case but I couldn't find any sources. My lecturer taught us it as well. But that's a relief b/c I don't have any notes on it.
what, I am confused. I am doing Germany. but Idid Appeasement as well, and people told me that appeasement will be in Germany?

You answer an essay on Britain, and then either an essay on Germany OR on appeasement (or the crusades/Russia/USA/whatever, but just ignore that for now).
For Germany, there will be three essays, out of the following (topic headings in bold, typical essay titles italics:

1. An evaluation of the reasons for the growth of nationalism in Germany, 1815-1850.
To what extent was the French revolution responsible for the growth of nationalism in Germany, 1815 - 1850?
Economic factors; the Zollverein; cultural factors; military weakness; effects of French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars; role of the Liberals.

2. An assessment of the degree of growth of nationalism in Germany, up to 1850.
How much had nationalism grown in Germany by 1850?
Supporters of nationalism educated middle class, Liberals; opponents of nationalism; attitudes of peasants; political turmoil in the 1840s; the Frankfurt Parliament, divisions; the collapse of revolution in Germany, 1848-9.

3. An evaluation of the obstacles to German unification, 1815-1850.
'Resentment towards Prussia was the cause of the failure of German unification by 1850.' How valid is this view?

Divisions among the nationalists; Austrian strength; German princes; religious differences; economic differences; indifference of the masses; resentment towards Prussia.

4. An evaluation of the reasons why unification was achieved in Germany, by 1871.
To what extent was Bismarck responsible for the unification of Germany in 1871?
Prussian military strength; Prussian economic strength; the decline of Austria; the role of Bismarck; the attitude of other states; actions of Napoleon III.

5. An evaluation of the reasons why the Nazis achieved power, in 1933.

What was the role of social and economic decisions in Germany in the Nazis' success?
Weaknesses of Weimar Republic; resentment towards the Treaty of Versailles; economic difficulties; social and economic divisions; the appeal of the Nazis after 1928; the role of Hitler; weaknesses and mistakes of opponents.

6. An evaluation of the reasons why the Nazis were able to stay in power, 1933-1939.
'A life of fear.' To what extent was this view of life in Nazi Germany the reason why the Nazis were able to stay in power?

Establishment of a totalitarian state; the crushing of opposition; fear and state terrorism; social controls; propaganda; successful foreign policy; economic policies; social policies.

If you choose an appeasement essay, the options will be from the following:
1. An evaluation of the reasons for the aggressive nature of the foreign policies of Germany and Italy in the 1930s.
To what extent was fascist aggression due to the Paris Peace Settlement of 1919?
The Peace Settlement of 1919; Fascist ideology; economic difficulties after 1929; weakness of the League of Nations; the British policy of appeasement.

2. An assessment of the methods used by Germany and Italy to pursue their foreign policies from 1933.
'Bullying and bluff.' To what extent does this describe the methods used by Hitler in pursuing his foreign policy aims?
Rearmament by Germany; military agreements, pacts and alliances; Fascist strategies employed in the crises between 1933 and 1939.

3. An evaluation of the reasons for the British policy of appeasement, 1936-1938.
Why did Britain follow a policy of appeasement?
Economic difficulties; attitudes to the Paris Peace Settlement; public opinion; pacifism; concern over the Empire; lack of reliable allies; military weakness; fear of spread of Communism; beliefs of Chamberlain.

4. An assessment of the success of British foreign policy in containing fascist aggression, 1935 March 1938.
How successful was British foreign policy in containing fascist aggression up until the outbreak of the Czech crisis?
Aims; Abyssinia; Rhineland; Naval Agreement; non intervention; the Anschluss
of March 1938.

5. An assessment of the Munich agreement.
'A resounding success.' How far do you agree with this assessment of the Munich agreement?
Arguments for and against the settlement; differing views of the Munich settlement.

6. An evaluation of the reasons for the decision to abandon the policy of appeasement and for the outbreak of war in 1939.
To what extent was the Nazi-Soviet Pact responsible for the outbreak of the Second World War?
Changing British attitudes towards appeasement; occupation of Bohemia and the collapse of Czechoslovakia; the developing crisis over Poland: British diplomacy and relations with the Soviet Union; the position of France; the Nazi-Soviet Pact; the invasion of Poland.

Hopefully, either the Germany topic or the Appeasement topic will look familiar to you - people don't normally do both! You won't get appeasement essays in Germany, or vice versa. :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by anyone_can_fly
You answer an essay on Britain, and then either an essay on Germany OR on appeasement (or the crusades/Russia/USA/whatever, but just ignore that for now).
For Germany, there will be three essays, out of the following (topic headings in bold, typical essay titles italics:

1. An evaluation of the reasons for the growth of nationalism in Germany, 1815-1850.
To what extent was the French revolution responsible for the growth of nationalism in Germany, 1815 - 1850?
Economic factors; the Zollverein; cultural factors; military weakness; effects of French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars; role of the Liberals.

2. An assessment of the degree of growth of nationalism in Germany, up to 1850.
How much had nationalism grown in Germany by 1850?
Supporters of nationalism educated middle class, Liberals; opponents of nationalism; attitudes of peasants; political turmoil in the 1840s; the Frankfurt Parliament, divisions; the collapse of revolution in Germany, 1848-9.

3. An evaluation of the obstacles to German unification, 1815-1850.
'Resentment towards Prussia was the cause of the failure of German unification by 1850.' How valid is this view?

Divisions among the nationalists; Austrian strength; German princes; religious differences; economic differences; indifference of the masses; resentment towards Prussia.

4. An evaluation of the reasons why unification was achieved in Germany, by 1871.
To what extent was Bismarck responsible for the unification of Germany in 1871?
Prussian military strength; Prussian economic strength; the decline of Austria; the role of Bismarck; the attitude of other states; actions of Napoleon III.

5. An evaluation of the reasons why the Nazis achieved power, in 1933.

What was the role of social and economic decisions in Germany in the Nazis' success?
Weaknesses of Weimar Republic; resentment towards the Treaty of Versailles; economic difficulties; social and economic divisions; the appeal of the Nazis after 1928; the role of Hitler; weaknesses and mistakes of opponents.

6. An evaluation of the reasons why the Nazis were able to stay in power, 1933-1939.
'A life of fear.' To what extent was this view of life in Nazi Germany the reason why the Nazis were able to stay in power?

Establishment of a totalitarian state; the crushing of opposition; fear and state terrorism; social controls; propaganda; successful foreign policy; economic policies; social policies.

If you choose an appeasement essay, the options will be from the following:
1. An evaluation of the reasons for the aggressive nature of the foreign policies of Germany and Italy in the 1930s.
To what extent was fascist aggression due to the Paris Peace Settlement of 1919?
The Peace Settlement of 1919; Fascist ideology; economic difficulties after 1929; weakness of the League of Nations; the British policy of appeasement.

2. An assessment of the methods used by Germany and Italy to pursue their foreign policies from 1933.
'Bullying and bluff.' To what extent does this describe the methods used by Hitler in pursuing his foreign policy aims?
Rearmament by Germany; military agreements, pacts and alliances; Fascist strategies employed in the crises between 1933 and 1939.

3. An evaluation of the reasons for the British policy of appeasement, 1936-1938.
Why did Britain follow a policy of appeasement?
Economic difficulties; attitudes to the Paris Peace Settlement; public opinion; pacifism; concern over the Empire; lack of reliable allies; military weakness; fear of spread of Communism; beliefs of Chamberlain.

4. An assessment of the success of British foreign policy in containing fascist aggression, 1935 March 1938.
How successful was British foreign policy in containing fascist aggression up until the outbreak of the Czech crisis?
Aims; Abyssinia; Rhineland; Naval Agreement; non intervention; the Anschluss
of March 1938.

5. An assessment of the Munich agreement.
'A resounding success.' How far do you agree with this assessment of the Munich agreement?
Arguments for and against the settlement; differing views of the Munich settlement.

6. An evaluation of the reasons for the decision to abandon the policy of appeasement and for the outbreak of war in 1939.
To what extent was the Nazi-Soviet Pact responsible for the outbreak of the Second World War?
Changing British attitudes towards appeasement; occupation of Bohemia and the collapse of Czechoslovakia; the developing crisis over Poland: British diplomacy and relations with the Soviet Union; the position of France; the Nazi-Soviet Pact; the invasion of Poland.

Hopefully, either the Germany topic or the Appeasement topic will look familiar to you - people don't normally do both! You won't get appeasement essays in Germany, or vice versa. :smile:

oh, thank you! that clarified a lot. I wasn't told that this was the case before. : /
HI

I was just wondering if anyone had any quotes for the liberal reforms and whether they could post them up??
Original post by chr1stopher11

this will probably sound stupid but how do you know for sure it's been taken out? we've been taught it too and my teacher has mentioned nothing of this!!
Reply 29
Has the suffragets and suffragist been removed completly or am i misunderstanding what has been wrote above?

Hope not as i know this area well

Thanks
Reply 30
Original post by Blackbull
Has the suffragets and suffragist been removed completly or am i misunderstanding what has been wrote above?

Hope not as i know this area well

Thanks

No, I think they've just removed "Why did it take so long for women to achieve the vote?" or whatever. I can't find any sources, though. Reasons why women got the vote (WSPU, NUWSS, WWI) is still a part of the course.
Reply 31
Oh thanks! you had me panicking there! was almost running upstairs to learn about democracy !!!

Not long now
I'm not trying to second guess the exam but- Last year (when there were 4 questions, not 3) Women's Movement, Democracy Criteria, Labour Reforms and Liberal Reforms came up. Unless the SQA decided to use the exact same questions two years in a row (which I'm relatively sure they wouldn't), wouldn't that mean that either Democracy Factors or Liberal Motives have to come up?
Original post by scotland369
I'm not trying to second guess the exam but- Last year (when there were 4 questions, not 3) Women's Movement, Democracy Criteria, Labour Reforms and Liberal Reforms came up. Unless the SQA decided to use the exact same questions two years in a row (which I'm relatively sure they wouldn't), wouldn't that mean that either Democracy Factors or Liberal Motives have to come up?

Those are the two I know best, so I'd love it if they did. I wouldn't count on it, though - the same French essay came up 2009 and 2010, so it isn't unknown for them to repeat.

Our teachers seem sure that reasons for appeasement will come up, since it's the first year and the key issue. Again though, don't count on it.
Those are the two I know best, so I'd love it if they did. I wouldn't count on it, though - the same French essay came up 2009 and 2010, so it isn't unknown for them to repeat.

Our teachers seem sure that reasons for appeasement will come up, since it's the first year and the key issue. Again though, don't count on it.

You don't have any useful analysis points for Liberal Motives?:redface:
Reply 35

Also, I read that the same issues will be used in every topic. So, like, if reasons for appeasement is in the paper then so is women and the vote.
Original post by Rosieposy_x
this will probably sound stupid but how do you know for sure it's been taken out? we've been taught it too and my teacher has mentioned nothing of this!!

If you look at page 22 on this PDF from the SQA:

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/files_ccc/History_Higher_2010.pdf

It gives the breakdown of what topics there are in the British topic. Why it took so long for women to get the vote is not on that list and so it has been taken out. I know I am annoyed at this too :mad:
Original post by scotland369
You don't have any useful analysis points for Liberal Motives?:redface:

Sorry - just read this, so it's a bit late for me to be of use now. Just use lots of argumentative words like 'many historians agree that', 'moreover' or 'it could be argued' and hope that makes it count as argument!

Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 38
hod did everyone find the Liberals question? anyone did it?
Reply 39
I did it, I don't know if I did it properly but I said although they did tackle real problems - we know they were 'real' problems British people faced as they were highlighted by real events such as the Boer War and by non-fiction accounts like Booth and Rowntree - but didn't address other problems such as voting and housing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending