The Student Room Group

English Lit As Level Help please :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HolyFuzazzle
For Owen, I've basically made a big sheet divided into headings like pararhme, fullrhyme, metaphors, religious diction etc and then listed all the poems that use the features under those headings with quotes and explaining what they mean. And I made a summary sheet of all the poems where I'm gonna note the key features of each poem... So yeah. I'm more worried about Gatsby, about this alternative reading thing, I don't know how I'm going to get it in really.

thats a realllllly goood idea
how are you finding verse form?
Original post by High VOLTAGE
thats a realllllly goood idea
how are you finding verse form?

Thanks ^_^ My teacher's the one who thought it up though. Ah, well, actually verse form is the easiest to spot cuz it covers enjambement, caesura, rhyme schemes and well structure so it's okay I guess =O I hardly have anythign on the actual structure itself, but as for rhyming and enjambement/caesura, which come under verse form, I could come up with something to say for the poem I think =/ Are you finding it difficult?
Thanks ^_^ My teacher's the one who thought it up though. Ah, well, actually verse form is the easiest to spot cuz it covers enjambement, caesura, rhyme schemes and well structure so it's okay I guess =O I hardly have anythign on the actual structure itself, but as for rhyming and enjambement/caesura, which come under verse form, I could come up with something to say for the poem I think =/ Are you finding it difficult?

My teacher says thats where im probably struggling lol - but u clarified what it actually includes thanks !
the structure i usually talk about how the layout of the stanzas relates to what Owen is trying to get across
i always though verse form was structure thanks to my teacher tho :s-smilie:

by the way , how safe do you think it would be to rule out the past poems they've used and say they won't be the one that comes up on monday?
My teacher says thats where im probably struggling lol - but u clarified what it actually includes thanks !
the structure i usually talk about how the layout of the stanzas relates to what Owen is trying to get across
i always though verse form was structure thanks to my teacher tho :s-smilie:

by the way , how safe do you think it would be to rule out the past poems they've used and say they won't be the one that comes up on monday?

I think it's because it's obvious a lot of people look for deeper things than that so don't understand it cuz they forget about it=/ It doesn't necessarily mean you struggle with it.
Yeah =O I just don't always see it's relevance, I only manage to say things about the layout when it's really clear =O I don't know what to say about it normally ^_^ yeah it does ^_^

Anyway, my teacher said it's like, 99% chance of it NOT coming up, so she said mainly focus on the ones that are left, and she said she'd predict it's eiither The Sentry or Strange Meeting/. But don't rule the ones that have been up out completely as you can still refer to them for comparison =D but yes, I was told not to study those in as much detail =D

How do you feel about Gatsby?
(edited 12 years ago)
I think it's because it's obvious a lot of people look for deeper things than that so don't understand it cuz they forget about it=/ It doesn't necessarily mean you struggle with it.
Yeah =O I just don't always see it's relevance, I only manage to say things about the layout when it's really clear =O I don't know what to say about it normally ^_^ yeah it does ^_^

Anyway, my teacher said it's like, 99% chance of it NOT coming up, so she said mainly focus on the ones that are left, and she said she'd predict it's eiither The Sentry or Strange Meeting/. But don't rule the ones that have been up out completely as you can still refer to them for comparison =D but yes, I was told not to study those in as much detail =D

How do you feel about Gatsby?

99% is goood for me
Gatsby, well im gonna plan some answers and get the main themes, theres a good link someone posted on TSR
and i found these others on the internet
99% is goood for me
Gatsby, well im gonna plan some answers and get the main themes, theres a good link someone posted on TSR
and i found these others on the internet

Yeah XD They wont use them again, and I;m happy cuz some hard poems have already been up (Insensiblity, Miners and Exposure) but stuff like Anthem for Doomed Youth is so easy to write about =D
Oh wow, thank you so much XD That word document about Gatsby you attached is especially good =D I'll be sure to share with you if I find anything good =O *feel bad that I don't have anything now*
Are there any particular poems you struggle with a lot?
Yeah XD They wont use them again, and I;m happy cuz some hard poems have already been up (Insensiblity, Miners and Exposure) but stuff like Anthem for Doomed Youth is so easy to write about =D
Oh wow, thank you so much XD That word document about Gatsby you attached is especially good =D I'll be sure to share with you if I find anything good =O *feel bad that I don't have anything now*
Are there any particular poems you struggle with a lot?

LOL its ok , heres another one http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/owen_context_ww1#s=2
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/key_quotes_from_owen_poetry#s=1
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/the_great_gatsby_critics#s=2
and i've jus started revising properly so i shall let you know, thanks anyways

Thanks, I found those already ^_^
Good luck revising =D
Thanks, I found those already ^_^
Good luck revising =D

Good luck to you too
by the ways what's the effect of pararhyme?
Good luck to you too
by the ways what's the effect of pararhyme?

Links words together but still marks a contrast or hints at something disjointed or disorderly.
Like, in "Arms and the Boy" ("bayonet-blade", "blood",) ("flash", "flesh") the same sound is repeated and the words are linked together, e.g. blood comes out as a result of the blade, it's some disjointed still, as it's pararhyme rather than full rhyme, and this kinda echoes the message in the title, that young boys don't belong at war.
Links words together but still marks a contrast or hints at something disjointed or disorderly.
Like, in "Arms and the Boy" ("bayonet-blade", "blood",) ("flash", "flesh") the same sound is repeated and the words are linked together, e.g. blood comes out as a result of the blade, it's some disjointed still, as it's pararhyme rather than full rhyme, and this kinda echoes the message in the title, that young boys don't belong at war.

ooh greatt thanks :smile:

assonance is structure/verse form right?

I got assonance as language but as it's repeated vowel sounds I';m sure it crosses over into rhyme which is verse form =O So yeah, I guess. Crossovers are allowed =D

How did you find the exam? ^_^
How did you find the exam? ^_^

lol i have this thing where i don't talk about the exam until the results :smile:
but i will say this the gatsby question was ok, but my hand was dead at the time lol
how did you find it
lol i have this thing where i don't talk about the exam until the results :smile:
but i will say this the gatsby question was ok, but my hand was dead at the time lol
how did you find it

Good plan but that must mean you find it okay ^_^
Urgh, I now realise I should haved one the other gatsby question, SO much more to say... gatsby essay was crap but eh..
Good plan but that must mean you find it okay ^_^
Urgh, I now realise I should haved one the other gatsby question, SO much more to say... gatsby essay was crap but eh..

dont worry your probably soo much better at it english, ive been thinking why was i so mad to pick it in the first place all year
and dont stress, its done jut got to wait now :smile:
dont worry your probably soo much better at it english, ive been thinking why was i so mad to pick it in the first place all year
and dont stress, its done jut got to wait now :smile:

It didn';t come through in that Gatsby essay. Worst crap I've written in my life. But ah do you not like it? and thanks =D What other subjects do you do?
It didn';t come through in that Gatsby essay. Worst crap I've written in my life. But ah do you not like it? and thanks =D What other subjects do you do?

nopee not really, my class rarely talks
and i do all 3 sciences, kinda kills
what about you ?
nopee not really, my class rarely talks
and i do all 3 sciences, kinda kills
what about you ?

Lol my eng lit class is so crazy XD They're all hyper and hularious XD Ah DX So you don't like the sciences either?

Ah, I do Eng lang, psychology and spanish apar from eng lit ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending