The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anshul95
I think it also depends on how relevant the AS level is to your course - e.g. the guy who got into Cambridge this year in my school now does Further Maths, Physics (completed his maths in jan). He dropped Psychology after AS as it simply wasn't relevant to him and he wasn't enjoying it. But yes I do agree four is enough and I believe you gain no advantage doing 5+ . Having said that, if you think you are up to challenge and are capable, hard working then why not?

I am doing 4 As but will only be doing 3 A levels.... Universites only need 3 anyway... I dont see the point in doing loads!!! Its better to concerntrate on 3 or 4 well I think
Visited Ox and Bridge now. Still can't decide between the two!
Original post by dnumberwang
Visited Ox and Bridge now. Still can't decide between the two!

Ohh what were they like??
Original post by Nathan_oH
I will be applying for maths 2013! Just wandering if choosing philosophy and ethics (also choosing maths, further maths and physics) will harm my application as its not math based?

Nah you should be fine as you have Maths, FM and physics! I did Maths, FM, biology and geography and still got an offer for Maths :biggrin:
Original post by like_a_star
Ohh what were they like??

please never use those 4 words together, it reminds me of the AQA anthology
:smile:

Well they're similar... and nice...
They both have busy town centres full of shops and things

Everyone says Oxford's a bigger city blah blah blah but they feel pretty much the same to me.
Original post by dnumberwang
please never use those 4 words together, it reminds me of the AQA anthology
:smile:

Well they're similar... and nice...
They both have busy town centres full of shops and things

Everyone says Oxford's a bigger city blah blah blah but they feel pretty much the same to me.

haha lol im guessing your not a an english person? I hated the subject and was so glad to finally drop it after GCSE's :tongue:

I am thinking of applying to Cambridge but I'm not too sure yet. I'm going to go to the open day and see if I love it enough to apply otherwise I don't think I will because I really doubt I will get it. But there's no harm in trying :colondollar:
Reply 446
Original post by ecraven
What exactly is further additional maths? And is it possible to do on a different exam board from current further maths board?

I am currently doing it on the Edexcel exam board, it means that you have to take all 18 modules as each A-level consists of 6 modules. I'm not sure which other exam boards do it and if they do it a different way though.
Original post by Jing_jing
Nah you should be fine as you have Maths, FM and physics! I did Maths, FM, biology and geography and still got an offer for Maths :biggrin:

Wow I just gotta say you've got the highest offer I've ever seen for any course at any university! Crazy! I wouldn't mind the A*s but an S, 1!? :s-smilie:

At least your insurance is still a brilliant uni!
Original post by hassi94
Wow I just gotta say you've got the highest offer I've ever seen for any course at any university! Crazy! I wouldn't mind the A*s but an S, 1!? :s-smilie:

At least your insurance is still a brilliant uni!

Yeah, here's a top tip when applying for Maths, don't tell your interviewers that a cube has 4 sides... 3 times in a row... after being corrected after the first :tongue:

:yep: I love both my firm and insurance so I'm happy!

But yeah, your subject choices are absolutely fine!
Yeah, here's a top tip when applying for Maths, don't tell your interviewers that a cube has 4 sides... 3 times in a row... after being corrected after the first :tongue:

Hahahaha that really made me laugh out loud! I hope I don't feel to pressured and do something like that :tongue:

Yeah that's great I wish I manage to get into that situation! And thanks for the reassurance on that - I think I'm taking Maths, Further and Physics next year so that'll take a load off!
Reply 450
Original post by maths134
Not to be rude.... but why are people doing 5+ AS's with less than outstanding GCSE results, im not saying its not possible but im pretty damn sure the two are correlated. If you can do them all AND get 90+ ums on all of them, congrats but it seems a little bit questionable. Tbh I wonder why the school would let you do them all in the first place ... but as I said before if you do well in them all good on you.

Firstly, I don't see that as rude at all. :P

By no means would I say my GCSEs are outstanding. However, considering the secondary school I went only had 35% of the year (the third best result in the past 6/7 years) get 5 A*-C, I think my results are pretty good. Also, 4 of my GCSEs are actually from DiDA, so are 'equivalent-to's - and our year was unfortunately marked down 2 grades in moderation for some reason, which meant I ended up with 4 Bs for it, not 4 A*s. So when I look at my results in that light, and all the science-based subjects being As / A*s, I think it's pretty good.

As for doing 5+ AS's, I did it for the challenge and due to the fact I was interested in them. So far I've done well in all my modules and am predicted As in all my subjects. I did Critical Thinking AS as well last year, just as a little taster to the rigours of AS Level, and got a B whilst being taught one lesson a week. I'm dropping down to 4 subjects, and feel that that's not going to be too bad for me.

Yeah, sorry for the rambling... :P

my friend got in to Magdalene for Computer Science and he said that some people got S,1 offers for STEP as well.
Original post by hassi94
Hahahaha that really made me laugh out loud! I hope I don't feel to pressured and do something like that :tongue:

Yeah that's great I wish I manage to get into that situation! And thanks for the reassurance on that - I think I'm taking Maths, Further and Physics next year so that'll take a load off!

what are you going to drop out curiousty?
what are you going to drop out curiousty?

Biology and Chemistry (well and general studies but that's a compulsory AS at my 6th form - we don't even get taught for it just take the exam :tongue:)

I'm considering keeping Chemistry if I get over 90% in the end. But still not too sure - I really just find it quite boring and it doesn't challenge me in the way I'd like.
Original post by hassi94
Biology and Chemistry (well and general studies but that's a compulsory AS at my 6th form - we don't even get taught for it just take the exam :tongue:)

I'm considering keeping Chemistry if I get over 90% in the end. But still not too sure - I really just find it quite boring and it doesn't challenge me in the way I'd like.

chemistry is a little boring at times. I don't know about you, but I find the memory work in A2 very overwhelming. But because I did very well I thought might as well.
chemistry is a little boring at times. I don't know about you, but I find the memory work in A2 very overwhelming. But because I did very well I thought might as well.

I'll keep that in mind because that's something I really dislike. I want to understand things and know them, not memorise and remember them. Part of the reason I love maths so much.

Thanks for the advice, at the moment I'm leaning towards giving myself an easier A2 year because I'm constantly tired at the moment with 5 AS's. I mean I can handle it and should get good grades but I feel I'd be happier if I did 4.

Alternatively, if I did 4 then I would've took Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (at the start of the year wanting to study medicine). So I would've missed out on doing maths at a good Uni (or at least having a good chance at it!
Reply 456
So just wondering, for Oxford, after having taken MAT, do they judge your application evenly on MAT score, GCSEs, AS results, A2 predictions, personal statement, reference, and interview. Or do they have different weightings :smile:?
Although I originally started this thread, i'm no longer planning on doing maths but instead I'm moving to engineering. My reasoning behind this is because I've just taken my first two maths modules and after looking at the unofficial mark scheme I only got approximately 63/75 in C1 (made loads of silly mistakes) and about 54/75 for M1 (didn't revise enough). Therefore I think it will be best for me to apply to a less competitive degree which doesn't require a particularly high overall UMS in a subject.
Reply 458

You applied for Maths, Maths and Economics, and Natural Sciences?!
How did your personal statement cope?!
Original post by anil10100
You applied for Maths, Maths and Economics, and Natural Sciences?!
How did your personal statement cope?!

by having good grades I guess

Latest