Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Very simple:

- 72% of the accommodation is ensuite and has access to good kitchen facilities
- We have a lake
- We have large lawns that you can walk and have picnics on
-
We have ducks and geese :woo:
- We have lots of extracurricular stuff going on and are known for our sports, dramatic society 'Buskins' and our music society
- We can accommodate you for the whole three/four years
- We have very nice food at formal hall four times a week
- Exhibitioners are allowed to wear scholars gowns
- We have our traditions (e.g. formal hall mallet banging/door slamming, Latin graces) but are not stuffy at all :nah:
- We're off the tourist trail, so college is mostly students
- Closest college to Gloucester Green coach station and the railway station

Plus I went there :awesome:

YOU ARE THE LOVE OF MY LIFE <3 i've been dying to hear the opinion of someone that's been there, it always seems a bit overlooked (I'm happy about that mind, when you hear about other colleges it's only for a bad stereotype)

Although I don't actually have any questions.. I just wanted to be reassured that it's nice :biggrin: thank you!
Ok, I may ask a stupid question, but I need a piece of advice of people who are experienced. I would like to do 3 A-levels in one year:business, economics and maths to apply for PPE. My situation is rather complicated; I have completed the IB Diploma course, but I don't think that I have performed well in maths (I am still waiting for my results).The rest of the subjects is fine. I would like to know whether there is a chance to get to Oxford after one year of A-levels with 3 subjects and not amazing results from IB or rather take 2 years of A-levels and do not even admit that I have finished the IB?
Thanks for any responses.
Original post by roseroserose.
YOU ARE THE LOVE OF MY LIFE <3 i've been dying to hear the opinion of someone that's been there, it always seems a bit overlooked (I'm happy about that mind, when you hear about other colleges it's only for a bad stereotype)

Although I don't actually have any questions.. I just wanted to be reassured that it's nice :biggrin: thank you!

No worries. If you ever do have any questions, you're welcome to PM me :smile:
No worries. If you ever do have any questions, you're welcome to PM me :smile:

Oh yeah wait, I remember now xD How did you feel about it in terms of cost? Finding it difficult to compare prices of each of the colleges.
Reply 544
YOU ARE THE LOVE OF MY LIFE <3 i've been dying to hear the opinion of someone that's been there, it always seems a bit overlooked

It might seem overlooked but it's one of the most oversubscribed colleges, if not the most oversubscribed. I guess people applying to Worcester just don't shout about it in the same way they do the other large, popular colleges.
Original post by BJack
It might seem overlooked but it's one of the most oversubscribed colleges, if not the most oversubscribed. I guess people applying to Worcester just don't shout about it in the same way they do the other large, popular colleges.

Understandable, it looks amazing so it would be hard to believe that it would be one of the less-over-subscribed ones.
I'm rating my chances at a low anyway. Intake of History/Economics = 12 :rolleyes:
Is it ok to book for both open days?
has anyone booked open days? They're all on the 6th/7th and I'm going up with my mum for the 2 days.
I've booked Worcester but I'm struggling to decide where else to look D:
Oh yeah wait, I remember now xD How did you feel about it in terms of cost? Finding it difficult to compare prices of each of the colleges.

The cost is for the most part manageable: the accommodation payments have changed since I left (third year was a bit hairy!), to make it more feasible for students to pay. They're generous with the music scholarships and there are book and travel grants (for academic and non-academic travel) that few seem to know about :ninja:
Original post by Phia7
Is it ok to book for both open days?

The same college on both days? = A no, I imagine.
Or different colleges on both days? = Yeah I think so?

Even if you don't book you can still go in there anyway:smile:
The cost is for the most part manageable: the accommodation payments have changed since I left (third year was a bit hairy!), to make it more feasible for students to pay. They're generous with the music scholarships and there are book and travel grants (for academic and non-academic travel) that few seem to know about :ninja:

hahaha my music skills are rather lacking, Grade 1 Viola and Grade 4 piano is as far as I stretch :biggrin:
Thanks, that's awesome :smile: I don't think it's too much of an issue anyway, thank you Welsh Assembly :wink:

I just read the non-academic travel bit, wow they have way too much money for their own good :redface:
So, I'm predicted 3 As and a B for AS level, and I got 7 As and 4 Bs for GCSE. Is it worth me holding out any hope for a place at Oxford, cos all of these really impressive A*s are kind of intimidating :s
Original post by agoetcherian
So, I'm predicted 3 As and a B for AS level, and I got 7 As and 4 Bs for GCSE. Is it worth me holding out any hope for a place at Oxford, cos all of these really impressive A*s are kind of intimidating :s

My teacher is literally the Oxbridge Officer at our school (our school completely obsesses over it) and says although they claim not to look too much into GCSE's, the trend is at least 6 A's/A*s. And if you meet their A-Level demands, which for most courses is 3As I think, then why not?

They base it on the essays you send in, the aptitude tests if you have to do any, and your personal statement. That's even before they decide who they interview. I think it's definitely worth just trying, even for the experience. I mean you'll never know otherwise. And on the brightside it gets your personal statement out the way early, so you don;t have to think about it when you're doing your January exams :smile:
Because I read somewhere that you're not supposed to do that so that everyone gets the chance to visit a college on an open day. :s-smilie:
Maybe they meant the other version you mentioned?! :biggrin:

Or different colleges on both days? = Yeah I think so?
Original post by Reminisce
X

Hey

I'll be applying to Oxford next year while I am in my first year at KCL

Course: Economics and Management
Predicted A2 levels: A*AA
Acheived AS levels: AAAACCD
GCSEs: 2A* 8A 1B
College: Open Application

Feel free to add me to the list

Thanks
Original post by Phia7
Because I read somewhere that you're not supposed to do that so that everyone gets the chance to visit a college on an open day. :s-smilie:
Maybe they meant the other version you mentioned?! :biggrin:

I think you can, I havent read anything saying otherwise. There's a max usually of 6 per school, but if you're applying to college open days you do it individually ie. I spoke to a Worcester lady. So I don't think they'd know anyway.
hahaha my music skills are rather lacking, Grade 1 Viola and Grade 4 piano is as far as I stretch :biggrin:
Thanks, that's awesome :smile: I don't think it's too much of an issue anyway, thank you Welsh Assembly :wink:

I just read the non-academic travel bit, wow they have way too much money for their own good :redface:

They actually don't have much money at all but they've been cutting other things rather than bursaries/grants, etc. :yes:

They also only give you half of what you ask for, so you have to overask :biggrin:
Username: Ophelia27
Subject: English language and literature
GCSE: 10 A*'s and 1 A at As level critical thinking
As: English Lit, RS, History, Classical Civilisation
College: Christ Church
Reply 557
Original post by agoetcherian

I think that would be OK, may want to try and get that B at AS up to an A, but it's not like it's the be all and end all (I'm an offer holder and got AAAB at AS).

They usually expect some A*'s as far as I'm aware, but they won't automatically write you off because you don't, paticularly if you do well in admissions test and subsequently, interview.

Which course are you thinking of applying to by the way?
so i've spent the day before my economics exam deciding that I will definitely probably apply here

the lonely goatherd will be most pleased. yes that is me with my bag on my front because i'm getting something out of it
Original post by dnumberwang
so i've spent the day before my economics exam deciding that I will definitely probably apply here

the lonely goatherd will be most pleased. yes that is me with my bag on my front because i'm getting something out of it

where is that btw?

Latest

Trending

Trending