The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anil10100
You applied for Maths, Maths and Economics, and Natural Sciences?!
How did your personal statement cope?!

:laugh: It isn't as crazy as it sounds! Natural sciences at Durham isn't the same as say somewhere like Cambridge, it's just where you choose 2/3 subjects and mix them together so I just wrote about Maths and Economics as they ask which subjects you want to take before they make a decision on your application (which I totally didn't realise so they ended up emailing me :tongue:), and I chose Maths, Economics and Philosophy.

The only university I applied to for straight Maths was Cambridge and I didn't want to risk my other choices because of the PS (apparently LSE care about it quite a bit) so my PS was about 60:40 Maths to Economics.

Actually you could probably read it if you really wanted to, planning on putting it in the PS library on TSR when this cycle is over because I found it really helpful when I was writing mine!

Original post by anshul95
my friend got in to Magdalene for Computer Science and he said that some people got S,1 offers for STEP as well.

Yeah, I know somebody else who has, I guess they had quite a few borderline candidates this year and are using it as a decider!
(edited 12 years ago)
Had one of my solutions to a STEP III question uploaded to the solutions thread:biggrin:. I'm so cool:colondollar:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=448558
Original post by ben-smith
Had one of my solutions to a STEP III question uploaded to the solutions thread:biggrin:. I'm so cool:colondollar:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=448558

And you're applying for Maths in 2012?! If you're already doing Step III, why not 2011?
Original post by hassi94
Hahahaha that really made me laugh out loud! I hope I don't feel to pressured and do something like that :tongue:

Yeah that's great I wish I manage to get into that situation! And thanks for the reassurance on that - I think I'm taking Maths, Further and Physics next year so that'll take a load off!

Don't worry, they know that you're nervous and even though the questions may be challenging they do give you prods in the right direction if you need them (trust me I should know, I think mine were less prods and more downright shoving :tongue:)

Excellent choices for Maths!
Original post by hassi94
I'll keep that in mind because that's something I really dislike. I want to understand things and know them, not memorise and remember them. Part of the reason I love maths so much.

Thanks for the advice, at the moment I'm leaning towards giving myself an easier A2 year because I'm constantly tired at the moment with 5 AS's. I mean I can handle it and should get good grades but I feel I'd be happier if I did 4.

Alternatively, if I did 4 then I would've took Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology (at the start of the year wanting to study medicine). So I would've missed out on doing maths at a good Uni (or at least having a good chance at it!

most mathematicians I spoke to on open days end up dropping chemistry A2 because with maths its about problem solving whereas chemistry is remembering thousands of reactions and mechanisms ergh.
Original post by Xero Xenith
And you're applying for Maths in 2012?! If you're already doing Step III, why not 2011?

Yes I am applying in 2012.
There are hundreds of reasons why I'm not applying this cycle but the most immediate of them all is that I have no ASs and the 2011 admissions cycle has ended.
Reply 466
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Although I originally started this thread, i'm no longer planning on doing maths but instead I'm moving to engineering. My reasoning behind this is because I've just taken my first two maths modules and after looking at the unofficial mark scheme I only got approximately 63/75 in C1 (made loads of silly mistakes) and about 54/75 for M1 (didn't revise enough). Therefore I think it will be best for me to apply to a less competitive degree which doesn't require a particularly high overall UMS in a subject.

Unlucky, although only a few places ask for individual UMS grades, so you could potentially still do maths. You should chose what you think you will enjoy most because it will be reflected in your PS, and you'll be doing it for 3 years.

Original post by anshul95
most mathematicians I spoke to on open days end up dropping chemistry A2 because with maths its about problem solving whereas chemistry is remembering thousands of reactions and mechanisms ergh.

Totally agree with you there, I'll be dropping it next year I think.
Has anyone here read Fermat's Last Theorem? If so, what do you think about it?
Yes I am applying in 2012.
There are hundreds of reasons why I'm not applying this cycle but the most immediate of them all is that I have no ASs and the 2011 admissions cycle has ended.

Ahh, I see, you're deferring entry. (That the right term? Or just taking a gap year.) I thought maybe you were a ridiculous maths genius who's doing STEP III questions while the rest of your class struggles with FP1/C2 :tongue:

Original post by jerome1994
Has anyone here read Fermat's Last Theorem? If so, what do you think about it?

Yes! Brilliant book :biggrin: It deserves its five-star rating on Amazon.

Cambridge agrees; it's not only on their reading list, but with this description:

You must read this story of Andrew Wiles’s proof of Fermat’s Last Theorem, including all sorts of mathematical ideas and anecdotes; there is no better introduction to the world of research mathematics.

The only caveat is that there isn't much maths explained in detail; it's primarily a story, not a textbook. Though with the subject nature being what it is, a textbook-style explanation would be a little difficult to fathom :eek:
(edited 12 years ago)
Ahh, I see, you're deferring entry. (That the right term? Or just taking a gap year.) I thought maybe you were a ridiculous maths genius who's doing STEP III questions while the rest of your class struggles with FP1/C2 :tongue:

Yes! Brilliant book :biggrin: It deserves its five-star rating on Amazon.

Cambridge agrees; it's not only on their reading list, but with this description:

The only caveat is that there isn't much maths explained in detail; it's primarily a story, not a textbook. Though with the subject nature being what it is, a textbook-style explanation would be a little difficult to fathom :eek:

Errrm, no, I'm in year 12. Had another STEP III uploaded
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=558425
I really should revise for my ASs:tongue:
I just ordered it off Amazon - very excited to start reading it. Is anyone in year 12 and really upset that they can't revise C3 and C4 because of their other subjects?
Original post by jerome1994
I just ordered it off Amazon - very excited to start reading it. Is anyone in year 12 and really upset that they can't revise C3 and C4 because of their other subjects?

what?
Errrm, no, I'm in year 12. Had another STEP III uploaded
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=558425
I really should revise for my ASs:tongue:

Darn it :redface:

Now I feel insignificant... :colondollar:

Darn it :redface:

Now I feel insignificant... :colondollar:

Have you started doing step yet though?, this guy has probably done a lot of further modules as well. He's just getting ahead of himself, much better to revise ASs atm because you have all summer for STEP.
Original post by ilovedubstep
Have you started doing step yet though?, this guy has probably done a lot of further modules as well. He's just getting ahead of himself, much better to revise ASs atm because you have all summer for STEP.

True. I've started looking at STEP I but with mixed success - I'm not used to the style or anything. A few questions I've struggled through to the end, others I've given up and just looked at hints/mark schemes.

It'll be a shame if I can't get the hang of STEP in time, I'm really hoping for Oxbridge... :redface: But my school is giving extra help to STEP people by the sounds of it, so all is not lost :smile:
I wish my school would help with STEP but I'm going to be the only person even doing it in my year at my school - probably the only person over the past 3-4 year. We unfortunately don't get many people wanting to study maths.

Yes, it is a little bit "chewy" for the average student! It's a little bit chewy for exceptional students... in fact probably for the majority of your lecturers too.
Original post by hassi94
I wish my school would help with STEP but I'm going to be the only person even doing it in my year at my school - probably the only person over the past 3-4 year. We unfortunately don't get many people wanting to study maths.

Same at our school but there seems to be quite a lot in my year though. But, I don't think most of them are aiming for unis that ask for STEP so I doubt anyone will help us. I guess I'm just going to have to start preparing this summer.
Original post by like_a_star
Same at our school but there seems to be quite a lot in my year though. But, I don't think most of them are aiming for unis that ask for STEP so I doubt anyone will help us. I guess I'm just going to have to start preparing this summer.

Oh yeah I do have a fair few people in my year wanting to do maths, but just none aiming for step unis. Out of the 7 in my further maths class, I'm the only one aiming to do maths. The other people all do single maths (and so would find it very hard aiming for STEP unis - though some will still try and may be successful).

I'm planning on starting properly this summer too (I've looked at one paper briefly but nothing substantial).

I'll be starting to teach myself Core 3 and 4 this summer too though (as I'm teaching them to myself and taking both in January, as well as M1).
Original post by hassi94
Oh yeah I do have a fair few people in my year wanting to do maths, but just none aiming for step unis. Out of the 7 in my further maths class, I'm the only one aiming to do maths. The other people all do single maths (and so would find it very hard aiming for STEP unis - though some will still try and may be successful).

I'm planning on starting properly this summer too (I've looked at one paper briefly but nothing substantial).

I'll be starting to teach myself Core 3 and 4 this summer too though (as I'm teaching them to myself and taking both in January, as well as M1).

Wow I was think of self teaching myself a module to do in January but I didn't see the point because my school would still have made me sit through lessons where the rest of the class are learning it and would put up a big fight against me taking it early. But good luck to you!

Does anyone think that self teaching myself physics AS in year 13 would be a good help? Or would it just be me doing more work than needed? Because I know that Cambridge encourages taking physics so I'm just thinking if it would be an advantage I should do it.

Latest