The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daemongreen
Ok this crime and deviance and beliefs seems to be insanely hard, is it just me who thinks this?

I mean we have to learn about postmodernism, modernism, detailed marxism, functionalism, feminism and sociology as a science as a start... Then we need to know all about crime and deviance which basically consists of a 1000 case studies, and on top of that we need to know the ins and outs of research methods!

I got the media exam 5 days before it which seems easier though I am stressing out!!!! I want an A or A* in this exam but the topic seems so broad to know every different part in detail! :redface:

haha relax. With Crime and Deviance there are main bits you need to know to gain your knowledge and understanding marks, the rest just know how to be all evaluative and stuff ( pretty routine thing once you know how ).

It helps with all the theorists and case studies to try to link them together in your head either by similarity or contrast.

likeee If I think labelling my brain jumps to Becker and then to Malinowski and from there to marxism and chambliss and from marxist I end up in subcultural theory which throws me into corporate crime.
You might think some of them arent really that linked , but if you can link them in your head even by some rediculous thread once you think of one of them its like dominos :biggrin:
Original post by Lightman123
haha relax. With Crime and Deviance there are main bits you need to know to gain your knowledge and understanding marks, the rest just know how to be all evaluative and stuff ( pretty routine thing once you know how ).

It helps with all the theorists and case studies to try to link them together in your head either by similarity or contrast.

likeee If I think labelling my brain jumps to Becker and then to Malinowski and from there to marxism and chambliss and from marxist I end up in subcultural theory which throws me into corporate crime.
You might think some of them arent really that linked , but if you can link them in your head even by some rediculous thread once you think of one of them its like dominos :biggrin:

I will be able to do the theorists and case studies to gain the understanding marks with some dedication, though the evaluative part seems difficult :/

For example say if this question came up 'assess sociological theories in explaining why women commit more crime'. Here is an example paragraph with my attempts to evaluate, I haven't got the book at the moment so don't pick up on little details lol

The sex role theory is put forwards to explain why women commit more crime than men. This theory is put forwards by (feminists?) who suggest that women are controlled at work as they have more childwork and housework to perform and are mosre likely to adopt the 'expressive role' in the family. Women are controlled in public places aswell as they are less likely to go out at night in fear of being a victim of male violoence. (evaluative stage attempt) This highlights that women are bounded by the patriarchal nature of society, which is a reason for women committing less crime as they have less time and opportunities to do so.

Sorry about this. I'm probably going to be the most active member on this thread until exams lol. I'll be a TSR legend by the time the exam is over :tongue:
Original post by daemongreen
I will be able to do the theorists and case studies to gain the understanding marks with some dedication, though the evaluative part seems difficult :/

For example say if this question came up 'assess sociological theories in explaining why women commit more crime'. Here is an example paragraph with my attempts to evaluate, I haven't got the book at the moment so don't pick up on little details lol

The sex role theory is put forwards to explain why women commit more crime than men. This theory is put forwards by (feminists?) who suggest that women are controlled at work as they have more childwork and housework to perform and are mosre likely to adopt the 'expressive role' in the family. Women are controlled in public places aswell as they are less likely to go out at night in fear of being a victim of male violoence. (evaluative stage attempt) This highlights that women are bounded by the patriarchal nature of society, which is a reason for women committing less crime as they have less time and opportunities to do so.

Sorry about this. I'm probably going to be the most active member on this thread until exams lol. I'll be a TSR legend by the time the exam is over :tongue:

Not much wrong with it really. You put an intro and a theory giving you the knowledge marks. The evaluate stage you have put in but for questions with assess you really need to pull apart the theory. So for each paragraph there needs to be more assessing than theory.

Did you mean : assess sociological theories in explaining why women commit less crime?
If you didnt and the question was why women comitt more crime your paragraph has gone in the opposite direction. I will assume you meant less crime and try to help you that way :smile:

try to include strengths and weaknesses of the theory as relevant to the question. You have said what you were trying to get across at the end which is exactly what is needed put you need to really evidence this before hand.

For example if I were to evaluate the sex role theory for Crime and deviance :

The sex role theory points to limitations placed on women as an explanation for why they comitt less crime. It looks at how women are limitted both within the family and within society. In the family women are more strictly socialized as children according to studies by Parsons. Parsons argues that girls are socialized into being caring and loving basing themselves on their caring mother as a role model. This leads to lack of criminal involvement because there bonds to societies norms and values have been strongly implemented and further they become of such gentle nature that they oppose crime. Further sex role theory also suggests women are more strictly socially controlled, for example there is a general expatation for women to ' act lady like ' and these pressures may easily result in an avoidance of the more ' masculine ' crimes. However it is important to recognize liberationalist theory aswel. This points out that even though womens opportunities were limitted in the past which prevented them from comiting crimes, such inequalities are lessening at allowing for more females to enter the job market. This increased opportunity gives women access to a wider range of crimes which actually increases there criminal involvement. Assesing the sex role theories then it seems that although in the past women had such controls that their criminal experience was limitted, now there is less inequalities they have far more access and involvement in crime.

You see in this case the majority of the paragraph comes in assesment form. Using other theories of crime to assess this one . You can also pull out any weaknesses you see in the theory. What does it explain ? what doesn't it ? but make sure they tie into the question.

I advice you ( not that you have to listen to a word im saying lol ) to briefly explain the theory you want to use. Then spend some time supporting the theory noting how it leads to less criminal involvement and then some time argueing against the theory, perhaps with another theory or a criticism in general. Also few long detailed and evaluative paragraphs is better than say 8 or 9 short paragraphs in this type question.

I hope that helps. I can help you with anything else if you would like :smile: Im also sitting the crime and dev paper this time round. Iv gotten 3 A's so far in the others so im feelin pretty pressured at the moment lol.
Not much wrong with it really. You put an intro and a theory giving you the knowledge marks. The evaluate stage you have put in but for questions with assess you really need to pull apart the theory. So for each paragraph there needs to be more assessing than theory.

Did you mean : assess sociological theories in explaining why women commit less crime?
If you didnt and the question was why women comitt more crime your paragraph has gone in the opposite direction. I will assume you meant less crime and try to help you that way :smile:

try to include strengths and weaknesses of the theory as relevant to the question. You have said what you were trying to get across at the end which is exactly what is needed put you need to really evidence this before hand.

For example if I were to evaluate the sex role theory for Crime and deviance :

The sex role theory points to limitations placed on women as an explanation for why they comitt less crime. It looks at how women are limitted both within the family and within society. In the family women are more strictly socialized as children according to studies by Parsons. Parsons argues that girls are socialized into being caring and loving basing themselves on their caring mother as a role model. This leads to lack of criminal involvement because there bonds to societies norms and values have been strongly implemented and further they become of such gentle nature that they oppose crime. Further sex role theory also suggests women are more strictly socially controlled, for example there is a general expatation for women to ' act lady like ' and these pressures may easily result in an avoidance of the more ' masculine ' crimes. However it is important to recognize liberationalist theory aswel. This points out that even though womens opportunities were limitted in the past which prevented them from comiting crimes, such inequalities are lessening at allowing for more females to enter the job market. This increased opportunity gives women access to a wider range of crimes which actually increases there criminal involvement. Assesing the sex role theories then it seems that although in the past women had such controls that their criminal experience was limitted, now there is less inequalities they have far more access and involvement in crime.

You see in this case the majority of the paragraph comes in assesment form. Using other theories of crime to assess this one . You can also pull out any weaknesses you see in the theory. What does it explain ? what doesn't it ? but make sure they tie into the question.

I advice you ( not that you have to listen to a word im saying lol ) to briefly explain the theory you want to use. Then spend some time supporting the theory noting how it leads to less criminal involvement and then some time argueing against the theory, perhaps with another theory or a criticism in general. Also few long detailed and evaluative paragraphs is better than say 8 or 9 short paragraphs in this type question.

I hope that helps. I can help you with anything else if you would like :smile: Im also sitting the crime and dev paper this time round. Iv gotten 3 A's so far in the others so im feelin pretty pressured at the moment lol.

3 A's?!? You mean your less pressured, as your sitting on a extremely comfortable grade right now. I got 2 middle B's and I got a U in January for Crime and Deviance. It's soooooooo hard to understand and remember; there is just too much information in the unit. :frown: Then I have to learn Media as well :/ Haven't even started, as I have just been freaking out about Crime and Deviance. Someone said that it's like 50% worth of your entire A-Level grade or something crazy like that.

How do you revise/learn the stuff?
Reply 24
Anyone want my notes? 35 pages for research methods + C&D from: 3 books, teachers notes, some wider reading and other shiz.
Reply 25
Original post by Noodlzzz
Anyone want my notes? 35 pages for research methods + C&D from: 3 books, teachers notes, some wider reading and other shiz.

that would be brilliant thanks :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by yungt121
that would be brilliant thanks :biggrin:

I make these for each exam and using these solely, I haven't got less than 96% :P
I make these for each exam and using these solely, I haven't got less than 96% :P

OMG! How can you possibly learn all that!? :eek:
Original post by Irishmonkey1992
3 A's?!? You mean your less pressured, as your sitting on a extremely comfortable grade right now. I got 2 middle B's and I got a U in January for Crime and Deviance. It's soooooooo hard to understand and remember; there is just too much information in the unit. :frown: Then I have to learn Media as well :/ Haven't even started, as I have just been freaking out about Crime and Deviance. Someone said that it's like 50% worth of your entire A-Level grade or something crazy like that.

How do you revise/learn the stuff?

Alotta people think that. I mean yeh Im in a comfortable position in terms of getting a decent grade but now that iv got 3 before people expect the final A to come from me this time when ..its not easy to just get. And then theirs those few that expect you to pump out the A* which is an pretty annoying. But I guess I got no right to complain.

About the revision and learning. Gotta say I like Noodlz method, I do something almost identical when revising. Works like a treat. The key for me is not to just memorize it all. Instead I advice trying to set it up like dominos in your head.

Like memorize one theory and try to link it in your mind to another and link that to another. Even if the link is tenuous. That way you don't need to memorize everything word for word but instead just need a trigger work ( found in exam question ) to start the chain of theory inside your head. Just like dominos only requires the knock over of a single piece to trigger the rest.

Also its all about doing the questions. As many as you can and then when you get to the real thing. Chances are you will have covered a similar question before and will feel more comfortable.

edit : Might post my C&D notes if I ever get them done.
(edited 12 years ago)
Alotta people think that. I mean yeh Im in a comfortable position in terms of getting a decent grade but now that iv got 3 before people expect the final A to come from me this time when ..its not easy to just get. And then theirs those few that expect you to pump out the A* which is an pretty annoying. But I guess I got no right to complain.

About the revision and learning. Gotta say I like Noodlz method, I do something almost identical when revising. Works like a treat. The key for me is not to just memorize it all. Instead I advice trying to set it up like dominos in your head.

Like memorize one theory and try to link it in your mind to another and link that to another. Even if the link is tenuous. That way you don't need to memorize everything word for word but instead just need a trigger work ( found in exam question ) to start the chain of theory inside your head. Just like dominos only requires the knock over of a single piece to trigger the rest.

Also its all about doing the questions. As many as you can and then when you get to the real thing. Chances are you will have covered a similar question before and will feel more comfortable.

edit : Might post my C&D notes if I ever get them done.

Okay.... erm could you be specific in your method? Like give a detailed example perhaps? :colondollar:
Okay.... erm could you be specific in your method? Like give a detailed example perhaps? :colondollar:

Guessing you mean the dominos thing. Because Noodlz already left a good example of the revision method.

So for the domino thing that I do..ermm how do I explain.

well heres how to put it in place first :

When you revise a specific topic , once you have read through it go back to topics that you already have learnt and try to make links between them. For example After learning about Marxism and how the working class are defined as the criminals of society I looked back to labelling theorist work which talks about how media representations label people as deviant. See the link ? both speak about how groups are labelled criminal by the media and that is enough to make the link in your head between the two. When you remember labelling you should be able to note Becker and his work as hes the main guy in there. Then from there you could even go to subcultural theory. When people are labelled they develop criminal subcultures in defence and theres a nice link between labelling theories and subcultural theories like cloward and ohlin. This is how I advice you learn the stuff. In relation to one another as opposed to seperatly.

This way when you think about Marxism once you get through it your brain will think labelling and then subcultures. If you can drum it into yourself enough all it takes is certain key words such as " Working class crime " to trigger marxist theory followed by all the other branches that follow.

Now I think about it its pretty hard to explain. Its just sorta learning topics in relation to each other.

Nother example how about relating the chicago school and functionalism. Both different theories entirelly but can be linked in your mind with some effort.

Think of Shaw and Mckay and their social disorganization theory. Essentially its on about how certain parts of a city have a lack of shared culture and values and this leads to crime in that area. ( atleast thats all I need to explain here ). Now what are shared values ? the collective conscience which is what Durkhiem and functionalism is all about. So after thinking of one you might then naturally be able to think of the other.

Can work in other ways aswell like learning theories that oppose each other in pairs. So in the simplest of examples you might be able to memorize that
' Marxists think law enforcement reflects class inequality ' by linking it in your mind with ' functionalists think law enforcement is a reflection of wider society '.
A simple example but by learning them together as a pair when you think of one the other will spring to mind.

Hope that clears it up a little. It makes sense to me to learn it that way anyway haha good luck :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Did you post similarly structured notes for Religion? Somebody did....I downloaded them,printed them off....Then got an A :biggrin: So I'm definitely going to be using these ones. Thankyou!
Original post by JaiiStarh
Did you post similarly structured notes for Religion? Somebody did....I downloaded them,printed them off....Then got an A :biggrin: So I'm definitely going to be using these ones. Thankyou!

:O Amazing!! Tell me how you learnt them?! How how how... what exactly did you do?
:O Amazing!! Tell me how you learnt them?! How how how... what exactly did you do?

Well repetition really helps me so I read through them several times,highlighting key points. Then I made mind maps. Mind map after mind map after mind map :tongue: But to be fair,Religion is a smaller topic than C&D so I only made about 10 mind maps (Functionalism,Marxism,Gender and Religion eg.) I'm going to attempt to do the same for C&D but there is just sooooo much to know and remember :frown:
Well repetition really helps me so I read through them several times,highlighting key points. Then I made mind maps. Mind map after mind map after mind map :tongue: But to be fair,Religion is a smaller topic than C&D so I only made about 10 mind maps (Functionalism,Marxism,Gender and Religion eg.) I'm going to attempt to do the same for C&D but there is just sooooo much to know and remember :frown:

So you write it out again on paper? then highlight the keypoints? I attempted a few mindmaps, but I'm not sure I'm doing it properly :/ It is also extremely time consuming and I do not have time on my hands, I have my Mass Media Unit 3 exam for Sociology on the 15th!! I have yet to start it, because I'm so scared about crime and deviance - got a U in Jan :s-smilie:

Would you create a Mindmap and maybe upload it here? So I can see how you have done it? please? lol
So you write it out again on paper? then highlight the keypoints? I attempted a few mindmaps, but I'm not sure I'm doing it properly :/ It is also extremely time consuming and I do not have time on my hands, I have my Mass Media Unit 3 exam for Sociology on the 15th!! I have yet to start it, because I'm so scared about crime and deviance - got a U in Jan :s-smilie:

Would you create a Mindmap and maybe upload it here? So I can see how you have done it? please? lol

Well I read it,and highlight it,then read it again. I don't bother making notes again,except in the form of mind maps. Yeah I agree,mind maps are extrmely time consuming but they really really help. If you stick them up on your wall,they are a great reminder as well. Same here,I'm actually scared ****less about C&D there's just so much content. It's depressing me!

Well I actually do my mind maps by hand in the form of posters then stick them on my wall or something. :frown: There is no right or wrong way to do a mind map though,but tomorrow I will try to do a rough mind map on the computer for Functionalism or something then I will upload it on here,then maybe you can copy that structure? :smile:
Well I read it,and highlight it,then read it again. I don't bother making notes again,except in the form of mind maps. Yeah I agree,mind maps are extrmely time consuming but they really really help. If you stick them up on your wall,they are a great reminder as well. Same here,I'm actually scared ****less about C&D there's just so much content. It's depressing me!

Well I actually do my mind maps by hand in the form of posters then stick them on my wall or something. :frown: There is no right or wrong way to do a mind map though,but tomorrow I will try to do a rough mind map on the computer for Functionalism or something then I will upload it on here,then maybe you can copy that structure? :smile:

If you have scanner, you could scan it in and post it as an image? But yea, if you can do it the computer way that would be brilliant :smile: thanks
Reply 37

Yes that was me :smile:
Yes that was me :smile:

do you always post your notes ? how kind :smile: iv saved them.
Reply 39
do you always post your notes ? how kind :smile: iv saved them.

Yup, I also do psychology and PRE.

Latest

Trending

Trending