The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

V1/V2 - 4th intercostal
V4/V5/V6 - 5th intercostal

i had been putting V1/V2 on the 2nd intercostals but this is where you auscultate.
Reply 3481
Original post by Revenged
V1/V2 - 4th intercostal
V4/V5/V6 - 5th intercostal

i had been putting V1/V2 on the 2nd intercostals but this is where you auscultate.

cool thanks

:facepalm: I said I'd put a chest drain in 6th ICS MCL
saw a pt with SJS, not pretty, although heavily dosed on steroids so not life threatening. Also, pt with macrophage activation syndrome, scary stuff.
Had an MCQ revision session today, and got 22/25 right (would have been 23 if she had put the generic drug name rather than trade :grumble:) so am feeling so much better about my lack of revision.

Although thinking about it, maybe it would have been better if I'd done really badly...... :s-smilie:
trade names for drugs make me sad
Original post by Mushi_master
I've got my OSCE on Wednesday, they're running throughout the week for the year group; then next monday, weds and friday are the written papers. The fear is certainly here.

Good luck! How did the OSCE go? We just finished today, paper 2 on Wednesday was awful!
Original post by billet-doux
Good luck! How did the OSCE go? We just finished today, paper 2 on Wednesday was awful!

Everyone said the same about paper 2 last year, so don't worry about it! People still managed to pass. Hope the other papers weren't so traumatic.

It went rather well I reckon, can't think of that many things I could have lost too many marks on. Probably said a couple of stupid things due to nerves and in hindsight there were things I could have done better - but that's the nature of OSCEs I suppose.
Hmm wonder who in our med school decided to put gastroenterology, renal and endocrinology ALL in the same rotation which only is 7 weeks long (including an introductory week of teaching) I feel like I'm trying to see everything at once without learning much in depth :frown: gah. But am loving hepatology the most so far!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Hmm wonder who in our med school decided to put gastroenterology, renal and endocrinology ALL in the same rotation which only is 7 weeks long (including an introductory week of teaching) I feel like I'm trying to see everything at once without learning much in depth :frown: gah. But am loving hepatology the most so far!

Eek. I have general surgery, GI, renal, and nutrition all squished into a 5 week block.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Eek. I have general surgery, GI, renal, and nutrition all squished into a 5 week block.

Wow in comparison our rotations are luxury!

We did 9weeks of general medicine - 3 each of cardio, resp and acute, then 9 weeks of general surgery. Next up was 4 weeks of COOP, ortho and rheumatology. Am how on 3 weeks of endocrine/diabetes, with 3 weeks of haematology/oncology to go + 2 weeks following the critical care outreach team for my SSC :smile:
Reply 3490
Original post by crazylemon
I think i might be one of the potheads. I thought medical humanities would be much nicer than actual research in my 4th year... clearly I am not a scientist as I just want to lie around pondering the universe for a while :p:
Oh and the sociologist is talking *******s saying there is no difference but then that is what is popular nowdays...Though I don't think the pope will ever be setting the guidelines the maybe an unholy alliance of Mail readers and guardianistas taking a one two punch on self inflicted diseases and race.

hah dude you're at Imperial, for the love of god don't do a humanity
Reply 3491
OSCE on tuesday, suturing a banana like a mutha******.
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by SMed
OSCE on tuesday, suturing a banana like a muthafukca.

I wish my OSCE contained that as one of the stations. I love suturing :daydreaming:

Wow. Thats going to be pretty intense! Do you receive a proper timetable or more of a guide to where you should be, but get to go to clinics that you want? Also are you attached to a consultant etc?

See for us, they put 4 students into nephrology - and then split the rest of our block in half - into endocrinology and gastroenterology. Lucky for me and another 3 students we arranged a week swap with the nephrology students otherwise wouldn't have done any renal until I graduate :s-smilie: and renal disease is linked to every speciality. GP block next - not sure what to expect for that. Expect lots of history taking practise though yay.
Original post by SMed
OSCE on tuesday, suturing a banana like a mutha******.

Good luck for the OSCE, suturing sounds like a fun station!
Original post by crazylemon
I think i might be one of the potheads. I thought medical humanities would be much nicer than actual research in my 4th year... clearly I am not a scientist as I just want to lie around pondering the universe for a while :p:
Oh and the sociologist is talking *******s saying there is no difference but then that is what is popular nowdays...Though I don't think the pope will ever be setting the guidelines the maybe an unholy alliance of Mail readers and guardianistas taking a one two punch on self inflicted diseases and race.

I wanted to really reaaaaaaaaaaallly do philosophy at Kings for a year but decided that I'd probably forget a lot of medicine and that it wouldn't help much in terms of when applying for foundation/speciality jobs. What would a medical humanities entail though? Would it be like medical ethics?

Hmm could have used multiquote...
Anyone know of anyone who has done an internship in a bank in the summer while doing a medical degree? I'm pretty set on applying for one this September but I've only got a few months to get my **** sorted so wanted to see if I could find anyone who's done it before.
Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan
Wow. Thats going to be pretty intense! Do you receive a proper timetable or more of a guide to where you should be, but get to go to clinics that you want? Also are you attached to a consultant etc?

See for us, they put 4 students into nephrology - and then split the rest of our block in half - into endocrinology and gastroenterology. Lucky for me and another 3 students we arranged a week swap with the nephrology students otherwise wouldn't have done any renal until I graduate :s-smilie: and renal disease is linked to every speciality. GP block next - not sure what to expect for that. Expect lots of history taking practise though yay.

It's gonna be my first proper clinical rotation, so I'm not sure what to expect - I think we get a list of compulsory stuff - certain clinics, tutorials, theatre lists - and then a guide to what else is on that we could turn up to, but we get timetabled to be on GI for a week, say, and then a week of renal, so that all the students on one block aren't all in the same place. Attached to a ward not a consultant, I believe. Tho I'm sure TLP can correct me...
I was told recently that it's possible to sit the MRCS (Part A only) as a final year medical student, but I can't find anything on the Intercollegiate MRCS pages to suggest that this is right. Anyone know anything about this?
It's gonna be my first proper clinical rotation, so I'm not sure what to expect - I think we get a list of compulsory stuff - certain clinics, tutorials, theatre lists - and then a guide to what else is on that we could turn up to, but we get timetabled to be on GI for a week, say, and then a week of renal, so that all the students on one block aren't all in the same place. Attached to a ward not a consultant, I believe. Tho I'm sure TLP can correct me...

Ooh thats going to be pretty exciting for your first clinical rotation, they have organised it pretty well! :smile: I think our renal swap is not goin to work out well as just been told renal consultants aren't keen and can't attend any of the renal clinics just wards. Hmm I do most of my learning from clinics as opposed to wards; think I'll just stick with a hepatology registrar I discovered last week. He was teaching me liver pathology with a map of venice; with gondolas as kuppfer cells. Pure genius haha :biggrin:

Ooh I've just realised that the face next to our names (the green/blue one) is either asleep when offline or with the mouth open when online. I've never noticed that before...
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending