The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Official 'I'm firming Leicester 2011' thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by HXL
I am a mature student in late 20's:biggrin:

What course you taking?

You lving in Uni acommo or are you from the area?
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 341
Original post by Lukey__b
I'm on the Access course as well. Pretty sure I'm going to get the grades, I kind of have them all already. Stressing a bit because Chemistry doesnt seem very well planned - of the 4 modules we do (they dropped one off for this year) we still have 2 to complete and I am also opting to do the extra 5th one they dropped in my own time.

I've asked to be accomodated with other older students, so hopefully I get Salisbury Houses.

Where have you applied for?

Things on my access course are getting a bit stressed now as well! Time is our biggest enemy I think. I have had to drop a couple of optional modules and I will now have to settle for getting the bare minimum 45 credits to pass (30 @ distinction needed).

I want an ensuite so I applied for Nixon and Opal Court. I applied for 2 room types at each site, only using 4/6 of my preferences; hopefully I will get one.

On my application form I stated that I was a mature student looking for a 'quiet' environment. I hope they will read that to mean I would prefer to live with other mature students, or at least not with total party animals.

It is not that I have anything against younger students (I will be doing my absolute best to mix & fit in), it is just that I do not really want a loud party atmosphere.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 342
Original post by BigV
Things on my access course are getting a bit stressed now as well! Time is our biggest enemy I think. I have had to drop a couple of optional modules and I will now have to settle for getting the bare minimum 45 credits to pass (30 @ distinction needed).

I want an ensuite so I applied for Nixon and Opal Court. I applied for 2 room types at each site, only using 4/6 of my preferences; hopefully I will get one.

On my application form I stated that I was a mature student looking for a 'quiet' environment. I hope they will read that to mean I would prefer to live with other mature students, or at least not with total party animals.

It is not that I have anything against younger students (I will be doing my absolute best to mix & fit in), it is just that I do not really want a loud party atmosphere.

It's 45 credits isn't it! I've been stressing that it's 60 for some reason. I was going to do an extra biology module as I've dropped the last 2 physics modules. I won't bother now, just need to make sure I get the 30 @ distinction.

I know what you mean with living quietly. I've done the partying every night thing already. Not that I wouldn't want to do it again, but my constitution can't handle the levels of alcohol involved.

I was very tempted to go for an ensuite at Nixon and Opal as well. I'm in a studio with a shared bathroom at the moment anyway, so figured I'd be able to handle that for another year or so.

I think we get out dipoma in early July, which is good as we will be able to submit our results before the majority of the students who were offered a conditional place. Hopefully this means we are more likely to get our preferred choices.
Reply 343
Original post by Lukey__b
It's 45 credits isn't it! I've been stressing that it's 60 for some reason. I was going to do an extra biology module as I've dropped the last 2 physics modules. I won't bother now, just need to make sure I get the 30 @ distinction.

It is 45 @ level 3 required and 15 at level 2 - which obviously makes it 60 total.

I think we get a results certificate to give to the Uni after June 30th at my college.... but the actual diploma takes a week or two to come through I believe.
Reply 344
I realise this thread is aimed at Undegrad students, but I will be going in Sept to do my Masters' degree. I am from Leicester as well, so any Qs about the area please feel free to get in touch
Reply 345
I have firmed Leicester for Modern Languages (with a year in Europe) offer ABB

I am so excited!!! Fell in love with the place :smile:
Reply 346
Original post by MMHD
I have firmed Leicester for Modern Languages (with a year in Europe) offer ABB

I am so excited!!! Fell in love with the place :smile:

Awesome :smile: Congrats!
Reply 347
Medical Physiology 2011! Woot!
Reply 348
Original post by janet9
Medical Physiology 2011! Woot!

cool, which accommodation?
Reply 349
Original post by grape:)
cool, which accommodation?

Sadly, because I have insecure and overprotective parents, it daily commuting for me. At best, they say it's a punishment for not getting into medicine. Pfft!
Reply 350
Original post by janet9
Sadly, because I have insecure and overprotective parents, it daily commuting for me. At best, they say it's a punishment for not getting into medicine. Pfft!

:frown: ahh dear.
Reply 351
Original post by goerigi
How can they stop you from moving out and getting student finance to cover your expenses? If you really wanted to go to student accomodation then you would have applied...

Depends on the OPs situation surely? She might only be getting the minimum student loan with no grant and therefore no bursary either. The basic student loan probably wouldn't cover the accommodation costs unless they were lucky? enough to get one of the cheapest room types.

Then there are living costs....... of course finding a job is possible, but that does depend a bit on the course and you still need something to live off until a job can be found.

I can imagine how it would be very difficult to live away from home without parental backing/support. (emotional as much as anything)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 352
Hi! I'm Lucy, I'm 18 and I've firmed Leicester for English in 2011!! :smile:
Reply 353
Original post by goerigi
Well i'm going to be 'coping' without any money from home. I am not eligible for any accomodation and living grants and i'm still going to have to manage, and that is the same for everyone I know...its kind of the norm (at least as far as I know). But also there are student loans for living anyway so that shouldnt have been a problem.

And also parental support at university? this isnt going to be primary school. It is the stepping stone to our own lives, and if we took the bridge (parental support), then when another hurdle in our lives comes along what are we going to do keep running over the bridge until it breaks? Kind of ridiculous.

But in this case she has let her parents make the decision. So nothing can be done about it.

Wow. I need parental support to fund my degree? Hardly means I am in Primary school, it'd just be hard to earn enough income to live on seeing as I get no grants/loans due to my household income being high? I am planning on getting a part time job to help my mum out as much as possible...
Original post by lrs_17
Wow. I need parental support to fund my degree? Hardly means I am in Primary school, it'd just be hard to earn enough income to live on seeing as I get no grants/loans due to my household income being high? I am planning on getting a part time job to help my mum out as much as possible...

Well said :smile:
Reply 355
Original post by goerigi
Maybe you don't understand what I mean. My household income (like you said yours was) is way too high for any grants or bursaries. However I am not going to get any financial support from them because the student finance covers it (and besides with me doing an engineering degree we have 25hours contact time a week so there is no time for a part time job). And of course I know youre not Primary School, that paragraph was metaphorical...
What I was saying was most people I know are in the same situation as me (high income etc) and we are not getting parental support.
Its a shame you couldnt stand uip for yourself thats all...

If you can survive without parental support then good for you, but I need that money, and it was an obvious attack on people who have parental support, I don't understand why?
I did stand up for myself, not sure what you're getting at there...
Reply 356
Original post by goerigi
Maybe you don't understand what I mean. My household income (like you said yours was) is way too high for any grants or bursaries. However I am not going to get any financial support from them because the student finance covers it (and besides with me doing an engineering degree we have 25hours contact time a week so there is no time for a part time job).

So how are you making the numbers add up then?

If the household income is above the threshold for grants then from what I can work out the maximum maintenance loan is between £3,564 and £4925. Also, if as you claim, your household income is 'way too high' then you would be getting the closer to the lower figure.

How does student finanace 'cover it' (with no bursary or p/t job), when accommodation costs are in the region of 3 to 4k per year.

What are you eating/drinking, fresh air?
Reply 357
Original post by goerigi
I get £3564 maintenance, my accomodation cost a just below that. and its catered. simple.

So you are claiming that due to no support from your family and no part time job you are going to live off just £3564 .

Simply not possible, even IF it covers catered accommodation. Catered accommodation only covers 2 meals per day! Then what about other living expenses, clothes, books, personal care/toiletries, a bus pass (£300 ish), etc etc etc.

Your either not telling the truth or living in fantasy land. :rolleyes:
Original post by goerigi
I sorry if I offended anyone!!! I was in a bad mood yesterday :frown: I didnt mean it to come out in the way it did.
But I am telling the truth with my accomodation and living costs :biggrin:
Sorry for being an arse lol.

oh I firmed leicester yay:smile:
Original post by goerigi
lol. what subject? :3

Computer Science with Year Abroad :rolleyes: . You?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending