The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Geography unit 4: Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by taxatoon
Hey i'm doing pollution too. It says get a examples at a 'range of locations' my teacher suggested doing local, national and global but I was wondering if this would be too hard to try fit in specific transport, environment and 'other' case studies I was also thinking of doing MEDCs vs LEDCs but not sure which to choose and not sure if i'm looking too deeply into varying location! A bit stressed have you though about this bit yet?

I was thinking about this today and reckon the mark scheme will allow you to group case studies either by location, health risk or human/physical factor. I would say that it says range of locations and not at a range of scales so although the spec always loves global/national/local I think that here they just want to make sure you don't pick for example only case studies from sub-saharan Africa.

As for your question about transport I think a good global example would be the spread of swine flu e.g. via international transport links (a example of expansion/relocation diffusion). Whereas a good national one might be the 'road to death' in China which is briefly covered in the Edexcel book.

I've been focussing on whether physical or human factors are the main determinants of certain diseases by going through standard examples e.g. Malaria, HIV, Cholera and evaluating different human/physical causes. Also thinking how to draw in good case studies. We haven't gone through it in class yet though so I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing!
Original post by Koranzite
I agree, the pre-release seems like a good one, causes and impacts are the easiest areas of the sylabus. The word 'diasaster' may also prove key here, such as: 'What are the factors that lead a tectonic hazard to become a disaster, and how do these impacts vary in scale in contrasting locations?'.

However, it may not be an open-ended question, it may mention a single factor, with 'discuss' at the end to lure people into the trap of only mentioning that factor, e.g: 'Tectonic hazards are more likely to become greater scale disasters in regions of the world close to plate boundaries. Discuss.'

All speculation mind be prepared for anything in this exam!

Hey, Got any ideas on what case studies would be appropriate?

Was thinking of something like Haiti in comparison with Japan?

Also do you think that the spatial variation i.e. event profile will come into this section.

Thank you
Original post by ccandy
Hey I'm doing the tectonics one, is it best to revise some theory from 'what are tectonic hazards' and 'human impacts' section
and get three good case studies for both earthquakes and volcanoes? :s-smilie:
Pretty confused tbh... i did one in January but didn't do as well so I would like some advice on writing reports!
Thank you in advance :smile:

Same here, being a geologist I did not do justice to the question in January, but I think it was the report which put me off!

I think I will need to work on the structure this time round.
Maybe by looking at key case studies which show a contrast in the human impacts and what factors controlled the varying impacts.

If you have any ideas then I would love to here them!
Reply 23
Original post by TheRockMaster
Same here, being a geologist I did not do justice to the question in January, but I think it was the report which put me off!

I think I will need to work on the structure this time round.
Maybe by looking at key case studies which show a contrast in the human impacts and what factors controlled the varying impacts.

If you have any ideas then I would love to here them!

Thought I would join in here. I'm also doing tectonics :smile: Has anyone got any ideas on what the question may be. I'm hoping its something like 'discuss the different factors that determine the overall scale of impact from tectonic hazards and disasters' but I doubt it will be that simplistic!
So have you already done this exam before, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by OhNo_23
Thought I would join in here. I'm also doing tectonics :smile: Has anyone got any ideas on what the question may be. I'm hoping its something like 'discuss the different factors that determine the overall scale of impact from tectonic hazards and disasters' but I doubt it will be that simplistic!

Yeah, in Jan. I had everything sorted because it was on section 2: the physcial impacts: extrusive intrusive etc. And that's my fav stuff....I am a geologist and will be studying it in uni. But I think I messed up with the structure and ended up with a C with 4 marks of a B when I was expected an easy A :frown:

Well have to concentrate on this one now :smile:

Yeah same with the question thing. Being on section 3 I think they may go really specific like the frequency and impact trends where we would be expected to use the
Chris Parks model.

Whatever new info I get I will be glad to share it on here :wink:
Reply 25
:smile:
Yeah, in Jan. I had everything sorted because it was on section 2: the physcial impacts: extrusive intrusive etc. And that's my fav stuff....I am a geologist and will be studying it in uni. But I think I messed up with the structure and ended up with a C with 4 marks of a B when I was expected an easy A :frown:

Well have to concentrate on this one now :smile:

Yeah same with the question thing. Being on section 3 I think they may go really specific like the frequency and impact trends where we would be expected to use the
Chris Parks model.

Whatever new info I get I will be glad to share it on here :wink:

Ah I see. Yeah, I'm not keen on how much the marks go on the structure and methodology. I just like to talk about the clear facts ha. But yup, onwards and upwards :smile: Oh cool, what uni are you wanting to go to?

Thanks, I'll keep tuned in. I found the discussions about the unit 3 pre release back in Jan on here really useful :smile:
Original post by OhNo_23
:smile:

Ah I see. Yeah, I'm not keen on how much the marks go on the structure and methodology. I just like to talk about the clear facts ha. But yup, onwards and upwards :smile: Oh cool, what uni are you wanting to go to?

Thanks, I'll keep tuned in. I found the discussions about the unit 3 pre release back in Jan on here really useful :smile:

Yeah I'm joined in those too, We have development gap unfortunately...hoping for Tech fix :frown:

Going to UCL for Earth Science if I can get the grades :smile:

You?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Hey, just a general question. In the mark scheme it emphasises the development of a 'clear focus' as an important aspect of the introduction. Does anyone know what this means/ how to go about it?

Pollution people. We were going through the pre-release in class today and our teacher said the way he would approach it would be to introduce the epidemiological model in the introduction and then go through your case studies in order of development examining the health risks and the factors that determine them.

How are other people thinking of structuring their reports? The 'factors that contribute to health risk' section just seems so broad that I'm worried I won't have a clear focus and that my answer will come across really convoluted...
Reply 28
Yeah I'm joined in those too, We have development gap unfortunately...hoping for Tech fix :frown:

Going to UCL for Earth Science if I can get the grades :smile:

You?

Ah, development gap? Still I suppose there's a lot of synoptic links you can get in there with that topic. We had energy security, I seem to recall that the synoptic bit was the nicest part of the exam.

Oh cool, congrats :smile: I'm Cambridge for NatSci, also if I can get the grades. Still completely surprised I got an offer tbh.
Reply 29
Original post by a.nk
Hey, just a general question. In the mark scheme it emphasises the development of a 'clear focus' as an important aspect of the introduction. Does anyone know what this means/ how to go about it?

We were told you had to unpick the question, like explain exactly what you understand by the words in it so I'm doing periglacial environments - I would say that processes both in the active layer and on slopes create distinct landscapes (in more words obviously). Also it's a good idea to introduce how you're going to organise your report ie. the subsections and why you decided to do it like that.
Reply 30
Original post by -aimz
We were told you had to unpick the question, like explain exactly what you understand by the words in it so I'm doing periglacial environments - I would say that processes both in the active layer and on slopes create distinct landscapes (in more words obviously). Also it's a good idea to introduce how you're going to organise your report ie. the subsections and why you decided to do it like that.

Thanks :smile: I'm going to be so glad when this is over. The problem I find is that it's a really time pressured exam and so I lose any ability to be vaguely coherent in my analysis. I think in the end I produce something that's ok but I just sound like a bit of an inarticulate idiot!
Reply 31
Is anyone else doing culture?
What are your thoughts about the question and how are you approaching it?
Reply 32
Oh man, I did my first practice report yesterday and got 46/70, which isn't good I'm guessing D: Too much to write!!
Original post by OhNo_23

Hey,

Random but have you got any idea of possible questions? I am quite stuck at the moment, no going to college and all so help will be as much appreciated as needed! :biggrin:
Original post by -aimz
Oh man, I did my first practice report yesterday and got 46/70, which isn't good I'm guessing D: Too much to write!!

Exactly! I did it in jan and got a C, missed of a B by 5 marks or so, but it was on tectonics. I knew sooooo much but could not get it all in with a clear structure!
Lacking time and structure in this report! If only edexcel gave us 30min more :s-smilie:
Now I have to retake :frown:
Don't worry you'll get there in the end :smile:
Was thinking that for a secure 15 marks teacher recommends that we do a section on research and methodology. Like were we got our sources from and how we conducted the research.

Is it worth it?
Reply 36
Was thinking that for a secure 15 marks teacher recommends that we do a section on research and methodology. Like were we got our sources from and how we conducted the research.

Is it worth it?

Yes. Do a source evaluation section at the end where you say why you used a certain source and how valid/reliable it is. Will get you marks.
Original post by Cermo
Yes. Do a source evaluation section at the end where you say why you used a certain source and how valid/reliable it is. Will get you marks.

Thanks.....:smile:
Hope I can remember to leave myself 5 min for that lol
Reply 38
Hey,

Random but have you got any idea of possible questions? I am quite stuck at the moment, no going to college and all so help will be as much appreciated as needed! :biggrin:

From looking at past questions and steers it seems to me that the actual question is just a rearrangement of the wording of the steer! One of my teachers thinks it will just be something like "how do the range of factors that make tectonic activity hazardous draw out the scale of impacts from such events?". My other teacher is convinced it will be related to development and to what extent it influences the scale of impacts.
Of course we can only make educated guesses here, but I think it will be broadly based on the human versus physical factors argument.
Original post by OhNo_23
From looking at past questions and steers it seems to me that the actual question is just a rearrangement of the wording of the steer! One of my teachers thinks it will just be something like "how do the range of factors that make tectonic activity hazardous draw out the scale of impacts from such events?". My other teacher is convinced it will be related to development and to what extent it influences the scale of impacts.
Of course we can only make educated guesses here, but I think it will be broadly based on the human versus physical factors argument.

Thanks...thats a really good help :smile:

These are some of the questions which I think might come up:

There are a range of factors which make tectonic activity hazardous. Discuss

Examine the range of factors in which tectonic activity can be hazardous (using named example).

Evaluate the effect of frequency and magnitude of tectonic hazards on the scale of their impacts.

If you have any other info then it will be much appreciated, if it causes no trouble :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending