The Student Room Group

Help please... got the acceptances, which uni to go for am confused !!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't know about your course specifically, so my advice is going to be based on the general university. Glasgow is fantastic, I know I go there so I'm probably biased, but honestly, you could do so much worse. It's a vibrant city, beautiful campus, friendly people, full of opportunities. I can't praise it enough.

I also applied to Sheffield. A lot to like about it, I just didn't fall in love with it. But it is a great university and a great city. I have friends there and they are all having a fantastic time.

I have little personal experience of the other three, but from what I hear from friends who go there, all of them seem to be great.

So in conclusion, I'd pick Glasgow, but I think you'll make a good choice whichever of those ones you go to.
Reply 21
Original post by miss_sexy
Hi :smile:, no i don't go there however I do know some people who go there and they love it there, they say that they have great teaching standards and that the city itself is great, moreover, sheffield is top 20 in all subject departments it offers..but here's a bit more for you on why you should pick sheffield:

The University of Sheffield is a leading research university based in the city of Sheffield in South Yorkshire, England. It is one of the original 'red brick' universities and is a member of the Russell Group of leading research intensive universities. It was ranked 40th in the world's top 100 universities by the Global University Ranking Study 2009[3] and is consistently ranked amongst the top 20 universities in the United Kingdom and Europe according to The Good University Guide.[4]

Furthermore, the university is ranked amongst both the UK's and world's Top 100 universities by the Shanghai Jiao Tong (SJTU) and Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings, and the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise found 41 submissions out of 49 of Sheffield's research to contain more than 50% of "world-leading" and "internationally excellent" research, which made Sheffield among the Top Ten in the Russell Group.[5][6] The university has produced five Nobel Prize winners so far.

Original post by miss_sexy
i think leeds is also good. it has a gd reputation generally however when i went to the open day i didnt like that the university departments were cited all over the city...the university was very spread out, u may not get a uni feel :/ if that makes sense

Wowwww really?? Thank you sweetie, the sheffield thing, thats one good piece of info!! I think you should be granted an automatic free place at the uni btw, they really ought see this amazing advertising from you lool :five:

Mmmmm yea i've been reading that around about leeds, thats definitely a negative thing about it... I still do have a reason though that might make me end up going there, its coz my sis applied and if she goes there, then i might have to pick leeds so we'd live together.. Thats why am interested in knowing abt leeds, coz i might end up HAVING to go there!! So am interested in seeing what ppl think of it...

So now I've narrowed down some unis, eliminated some, and sheffield definitely stays in!! Thank you very much and wish u all the best!! :wink:

So u never told me abt u, where do u live, what uni r u in? what subject?
Reply 22
Original post by FloRaRa
Leeds is the most respected out of those uni's, it is Russell group (but then so are Sheffield and Southampton).
Leeds is an amazing place for shopping, such diversity and they call it the Knightsbridge of the north (Knightsbridge is a good shopping area in London if you are not sure where that is!)
However if you are not looking for nightlife, which leeds has a lot of, then maybe its not right. The best thing people say about leeds is the nightlife!
There are some beautiful buildings and such, but not much beautiful countryside on your doorstep.
Then again these are all cities and so countryside has to be a train/car/bus ride away.
I would recommend Leeds to you best, but if the Nutrition course is better elsewhere then you should take it there. After all in the end it is your degree that counts the most.

Yeaaa shoppingggg!!! :rave: Thats one BIGG pointer for leeds!!

Yea i know heard abt the nightlife, also heard that glasgow has a gr8 one.. Well wont be part of that anywhere.. But u mean that if i wont, then do u think its not worth it going to leeds, like the city doesnt have that good ambiance and life otherwise?

Btw how do u know what the best ranking uni for a given subject? I've been looking around online but not finding any specific website that lists that :frown:!!
Reply 23
Original post by maya_01
Yeaaa shoppingggg!!! :rave: Thats one BIGG pointer for leeds!!

Yea i know heard abt the nightlife, also heard that glasgow has a gr8 one.. Well wont be part of that anywhere.. But u mean that if i wont, then do u think its not worth it going to leeds, like the city doesnt have that good ambiance and life otherwise?

Btw how do u know what the best ranking uni for a given subject? I've been looking around online but not finding any specific website that lists that :frown:!!

Oh it does still have a great ambience and all that! Still an amazing place with lots of history, I would recommend it the best out of all the uni's you have selected!
Ummm the Times newspaper often publishes lists on these things, try their website!
Original post by maya_01
Wowwww really?? Thank you sweetie, the sheffield thing, thats one good piece of info!! I think you should be granted an automatic free place at the uni btw, they really ought see this amazing advertising from you lool :five:

Mmmmm yea i've been reading that around about leeds, thats definitely a negative thing about it... I still do have a reason though that might make me end up going there, its coz my sis applied and if she goes there, then i might have to pick leeds so we'd live together.. Thats why am interested in knowing abt leeds, coz i might end up HAVING to go there!! So am interested in seeing what ppl think of it...

So now I've narrowed down some unis, eliminated some, and sheffield definitely stays in!! Thank you very much and wish u all the best!! :wink:

So u never told me abt u, where do u live, what uni r u in? what subject?

I'm from nottingham :smile:, i am planning to go to bradford but thats not so certain yet if i do get better grades ill apply for a better university nd bsc economics xxx
Reply 25
Original post by LostRiot
Yeah he managed to get our entire house addicted to Lebanese style coffee.

I don't think Sheffield is dull. Its one of the best places to live in the UK, it may not be the non-stop noise of London but its a brilliant place, I've also lived in Leeds, Southampton Newcastle, and London and I'd pick Sheffield in a flash. Actually, Newcastle is close, but at the moment Sheffield beats it, the city has a brilliant studenty atmosphere, everything you need and great transport to get there, you can also walk into the peak district pretty much from the city if you want to get into the countryside. Leeds is fun, but no better than Sheffield, its got a bigger centre, but Sheffield is more unique. Never been to Glasgow. Southampton and Reading (I have family in Reading) are both pretty boring places, so you'd be riding on the quality of the experience the University can give you, because I know from Southampton that you need to make your own fun a bit and its a pretty ugly place. Reading is basically a commuter town, its a nice enough place but in all honesty not somewhere I'd particularly like to go to university, unless the course is excellent.

You'll probably have a great time wherever you go though, good luck.

Lool like the part abt the Lebanese style coffee (although i dont drink that myself, i drink the "american style coffee" over here :tongue:)

Thnxx a lot thats one nice comparason, so definitely no-no to southampton and reading (didnt like the course in southampton anyway and reading is not russell group)...

Mmmm well u guys are definitely gearing me towards sheffield! By now honestly its kinda sheffield or leeds!!

Although my sister's acceptances may decide for me eventually, but since u guys live in UK and know better (am really embarrassed now coz i keep going on and on with my questions), which is more known for the sciences, u know, with my field being nutrition??:blushing:
Reply 26
Original post by d123
I don't know about your course specifically, so my advice is going to be based on the general university. Glasgow is fantastic, I know I go there so I'm probably biased, but honestly, you could do so much worse. It's a vibrant city, beautiful campus, friendly people, full of opportunities. I can't praise it enough.

I also applied to Sheffield. A lot to like about it, I just didn't fall in love with it. But it is a great university and a great city. I have friends there and they are all having a fantastic time.

I have little personal experience of the other three, but from what I hear from friends who go there, all of them seem to be great.

So in conclusion, I'd pick Glasgow, but I think you'll make a good choice whichever of those ones you go to.

Glasgow glasgow...mmm... Yes and that one i cant manage to scratch off the list that easily at all.. Still have that in mind too !!

Although drawbacks are: accent and city itself (am continuously getting negative feedback abt glasgow as a place & ppl dunno why :frown: ) but am VERY impressed by how old that uni is, like its the fourth oldest uni or something.. Very interesting for me, i appreciate a good history and ancient feel of uni... Definitely keeps it on my mind for that!!

But its a wonder ppl dont hear abt it a lot here at my home country, like leeds and sheffield are more familiar...

So abt glasgow as a place, what if a person cant enjoy nightlife? What abt shopping there and the nature :wink:?? Ppl's attitude twds foreigners (who look it)??
Reply 27
As no-one has really said anything about southampton I'll do that one lol, I havent lived there as a student but live about half an hour away and my brother was a student there so know a bit from here. He really liked it there, the research facilities are really good supposedly. The city itself isnt a beautiful city I wouldnt say, but it is really good for shopping and eating out.
Easy to get to London, Bath, Bournemouth etc so good for exploring the uk
Reply 28
Original post by maya_01
Glasgow glasgow...mmm... Yes and that one i cant manage to scratch off the list that easily at all.. Still have that in mind too !!

Although drawbacks are: accent and city itself (am continuously getting negative feedback abt glasgow as a place & ppl dunno why :frown: ) but am VERY impressed by how old that uni is, like its the fourth oldest uni or something.. Very interesting for me, i appreciate a good history and ancient feel of uni... Definitely keeps it on my mind for that!!

But its a wonder ppl dont hear abt it a lot here at my home country, like leeds and sheffield are more familiar...

So abt glasgow as a place, what if a person cant enjoy nightlife? What abt shopping there and the nature :wink:?? Ppl's attitude twds foreigners (who look it)??

The accent is one of the best things about it! And the city is fantastic - people who haven't been there say bad things about it because they have a negative image of it in their head, but it's great. There's plenty to do that doesn't involve nightlife as well - shopping, the Kelvingrove museum, plenty of parks for when the weather's good, which is surprisingly often. And it's a very friendly and welcoming city - I've had light hearted abuse for being from England, but that's nothing, and it's always friendly - I haven't heard of any problems with racism or xenophobia. That's not to say they don't exist but it certainly isn't a major problem or something Glasgow has a reputation for
Reply 29
Original post by kvs_123
As no-one has really said anything about southampton I'll do that one lol, I havent lived there as a student but live about half an hour away and my brother was a student there so know a bit from here. He really liked it there, the research facilities are really good supposedly. The city itself isnt a beautiful city I wouldnt say, but it is really good for shopping and eating out.
Easy to get to London, Bath, Bournemouth etc so good for exploring the uk

Heyyy thnx a lot for the advice, lol definitely unique since no1 talked southampton so far!!

Not just that btw, and the uni is very well-reputed and known here in Lebanon.. Definitely great for my field... Yea I do know that its something... But my problem is, after studying the detailed course content and modules: the program itself, am not exactly hyped about the course offerings, is that a relevant point?

I definitely like the fact that I got positive feedback on it again, coz i was wondering, with it being so well-known here at my home country and all, how come no1 mentioned it... So u just helped me re-consider that... I'lll c how it goes.. Thnx a lot sweetie!!!:smile:
Original post by maya_01

Glasgow has really good shopping, the second best in the UK (after London) (don't know a reference but it's commonly said in Scotland and England). It's a really beautiful, exciting and nice city, yes there are some very run down and deprived areas in the East part, but not actually in the city centre/West End, where you would be. Every city has some deprived areas, but only if you actively go to them!
Reply 31
A dietician I know says, "Leeds".
Reply 32
Original post by d123
The accent is one of the best things about it! And the city is fantastic - people who haven't been there say bad things about it because they have a negative image of it in their head, but it's great. There's plenty to do that doesn't involve nightlife as well - shopping, the Kelvingrove museum, plenty of parks for when the weather's good, which is surprisingly often. And it's a very friendly and welcoming city - I've had light hearted abuse for being from England, but that's nothing, and it's always friendly - I haven't heard of any problems with racism or xenophobia. That's not to say they don't exist but it certainly isn't a major problem or something Glasgow has a reputation for

Original post by angelmxxx
Glasgow has really good shopping, the second best in the UK (after London) (don't know a reference but it's commonly said in Scotland and England). It's a really beautiful, exciting and nice city, yes there are some very run down and deprived areas in the East part, but not actually in the city centre/West End, where you would be. Every city has some deprived areas, but only if you actively go to them!

Aha i c... Thnx a lot you guyz!!! Thats really relieving to know, and it seems like this bad image ppl talk abt is sort of "prejudice talk" as i've been told by quite some good number the total opposite, just like ur saying :yep:!!

I know I couldn't depend on the league tables, but for some reason those tables seem to rank sheffield higher than glasgow most of the times... I mean its kinda being like: sheffield, glasgow, then leeds,... Those rankings change i know, but do u think its true currently, like does a sheffield degree value better than the glasgow or leeds one??
Reply 33
Original post by booraad
A dietician I know says, "Leeds".

Thnx :h:!!

So is ur friend on TSR?? How can I speak to her (or if u can advise me a lil more on that!!) Details plzzz :excited:!!
Reply 34
I guess Leeds is way better as compared to others.
The ranking says it all.
Reply 35
Original post by Sherrrry
I guess Leeds is way better as compared to others.
The ranking says it all.

Heyyy thnx 4 the advice sweetie :cute:

Now my choices are kinda narrowing down to leeds and sheffield.. According to tables, sheffield is ranked higher.. But tables arent everything i know, sometimes common perception beats that.. So between those two specifically (and for nutrition which is a science major), what do u think? Got any comparative opinions??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
I don’t know much about Nutrition n all but herez something i found for you from google. hope it helps.. some random person he is :P

I went to Sheffield but finished last Summer

Accomodation - I stayed in catered halls that got knocked down, but there is still a hall of residence that is catered and there rooms tended to be standard, desk, bed, some storage space. However, I also saw the newer accomodation that you are likely to be placed it. Its nice and its obviously shiney and new but lacks character. 2nd and 3rd year - I lived in Crookesmoor which is a really nice area. Sheffield is a lovely place to live because there is a lot of greenery and parks and its close to the peak district. In terms of shopping, there are little independent shops in the town centre and most of the mainstream shops but for a massive shopping mission go to Meadowhall (easy to get to on the tram and it has everything). public transport is also very reasonable here and its not a massive city so most things are in walking distance.

Nightlife - I beleive Leeds will win here because its famous for its nightlife. However, there are lots of pubs and bars and the student union is really good. The union has 2 bars, Bar one which is a standard student bar and Interval which is a cafe that serves different drinks and cocktails. The union has different clubnights with different music depending on the night. My favourite night isn't regular now. Highlight include the Tuesday Club (Drum and Bass), Indie music in the Raynor Lounge, and Pop Tarts or Space at the weekend. There are also a variety of nightclubs with varying events. I really enjoy going out in Sheffield and there is loads to do.

General Type of people: there are 60% girls. It is a friendly university and there is a good mix of state school and private school people. Generally a good mix of people. There is a significant number of South East Asian students and international students. There is not one major stereotype of people who go to this university.

So temme if it helps ?
Reply 37
Heyyy Sherry thnxx wow that was full of details, DEFINITELY helps :wink: &thnx for takin the time to look smthn up for me wow :grin:

Mmmm y'all are gona kill me but am still stuck between leeds (pros: THE city and the infamous uni of leeds (here in my home country at least), cons: yet lower ranked than sheffield and maybe a bit more abt its business school and the non-science majors), and then sheffield (pros: the higher ranked and more known for the sciences and med school and "super-friendly", cons: yet in a "hilly" and kinda unexciting little place/city) :s-smilie:

Oh one more question too!! Since i have two BS's (1-Nutrition, 2-Food Science), do I go for Univ of Reading which has MSc Nutrition and Food Sciences (combining and stressing my double-degree thing?) Or do i go to the more reputable unis and in-depth plain nutrition majors in leeds and/or sheffield?? Knowing that am interested in academia and a Phd in nutrition later either way, so do i go-deep (is it more desirable) or keep both degrees strong at Msc level to distinguish myself in a way that I have both (or would that get me not-too specialized in a way)??

Sorry for the long complex thing... :frown: Watever u can hlep me wd plzzz!!
Reply 38
lol ...at this level you shold always specialise in one and more importantly knowing that you have planned for Phd in nutrition i would suggest to specialize in it first.

its not a very bad option to make both the degrees strong but if it was Leeds or Sheffield it would have been a better option.

Most of the Indian students go to Leeds (if you ever lived in India) i'v heard :tongue:
maY be because of exquisite lifestyle. but if Sheffield is better ranked for the degree u want then opt for Sheffield. :smile:
Southampton is very leafy, and near the sea of course which is a plus :smile: You say you aren't looking for the nightlife, so an enormous city like Leeds probably wouldn't be best for you. I'd rule Sheffield and Glasgow out for the same reason. I'm picking at straws though, as they're all good universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending