The Student Room Group

2012 applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by P_united098
Hey guys,
Is it possible to get into dentistry with the 4th AS at a grade C (economics)?

Yes, make sure you get predicted AAA.
Original post by splitstriker

cool... cheers mate

do you think next year AAA wont be enough? will not having A* be a major disadvantage?
Original post by chestntrapzbrah
do you think next year AAA wont be enough? will not having A* be a major disadvantage?

Highly doubt it.
Highly doubt it.

Purely based on the offer, I agree, I doubt it will go up to A*AA

But do unis still put preference on those who achieved A*s? Like people with higher GCSEs. Ive heard they dont, but I find that kinda hard to believe
Original post by chestntrapzbrah
Purely based on the offer, I agree, I doubt it will go up to A*AA

But do unis still put preference on those who achieved A*s? Like people with higher GCSEs. Ive heard they dont, but I find that kinda hard to believe

Grades at this kind of level are just a tickbox. It's the other parts of your application that create the variables admissions teams can compare applicants on.

If you've got solid work exp., voluntary work, gcse, ukcat, can prove manual dexterity, show leadership+teamwork qualities, and are predicted AAA...you will get an interview. If you've got good interview technique... you will get an offer.

I highly doubt getting predicted A*AA will allow you to make up for the other parts of your application or put you at an advantage over someone with better (e.g) work exp.
(edited 12 years ago)
Grades at this kind of level are just a tickbox. It's the other parts of your application that create the variables admissions teams can compare applicants on.

If you've got solid work exp., voluntary work, gcse, ukcat, can prove manual dexterity, show leadership+teamwork qualities, and are predicted AAA...you will get an interview. If you've got good interview technique... you will get an offer.

I highly doubt getting predicted A*AA will allow you to make up for the other parts of your application or put you at an advantage over someone with better (e.g) work exp.

That is reassuring lol, my school apparently advises against applying if you dont have A*s. Ill try and get as many as I can, but if I didnt get any then Id hate to think I couldnt do dentistry because of it. thanks
Where are you guys thinking of appling?!?!
I'm thinking King's, Sheffield, and Manchester
Original post by jonnychan123

Barts, Birmingham, Sheffield but only visited barta so far so likely to change
Reply 89

king's, barts, sheffield (possibly) not sure about the rest.
Alsoo, king's open day for dentistry is right in the middle of a week of work experience i've got organised in a hospital in maxfax ward, so obviously i can't goo :frown:
what shalll i dooo? it's not the same when you go a different time right? or is itt?
Original post by ad2010
king's, barts, sheffield (possibly) not sure about the rest.
Alsoo, king's open day for dentistry is right in the middle of a week of work experience i've got organised in a hospital in maxfax ward, so obviously i can't goo :frown:
what shalll i dooo? it's not the same when you go a different time right? or is itt?

They have two open days for dentistry just email them and change it to the other
Reply 91
Original post by Patchey1000
They have two open days for dentistry just email them and change it to the other

thanks :smile: i didn't realise they had twoo! just booked my place :smile:
Yep, they have 2 days =), mines booked for 13th. Really looking forward to it, from what I've heard guy's campus is amazing!
Reply 93
Original post by gk13
yay :biggrin:

i applied for aston pharmacy as back up just in case worse comes to worse and i dont get the 3 As.

have u applied for any back up?

well i did have a pharmacy offer at UEA but i declined it cos i really dont want to do it! my advice is if you dont get the grades then reapply as a resit applicant.. but just work really really hard and make sure you get the grades so that you dont have to worry about being a resit applicant!
Reply 94
Yep, they have 2 days =), mines booked for 13th. Really looking forward to it, from what I've heard guy's campus is amazing!

i had to book for the 27th because I can't go on the 13th, but i'm reallly excited too, my sister's doing Pharmacy at King's so I've seen the Waterloo campus which is reallly nice, guy's will be great toooo hopefully :smile:

also what do you all think is the minimum work experience that you need to have in order to be considered? i'm a bit worried, because i've only got this summer before I apply and even if I do work experience for the whole of summer, i'm worried it still won't be enoughh, or will it? What shall I doo?
Original post by ad2010
i had to book for the 27th because I can't go on the 13th, but i'm reallly excited too, my sister's doing Pharmacy at King's so I've seen the Waterloo campus which is reallly nice, guy's will be great toooo hopefully :smile:

also what do you all think is the minimum work experience that you need to have in order to be considered? i'm a bit worried, because i've only got this summer before I apply and even if I do work experience for the whole of summer, i'm worried it still won't be enoughh, or will it? What shall I doo?

If you liked Waterloo campus...Guy's will blow your mind, it's a beautiful environment that exudes 'the feeling' of medicine and dentistry :smile:
Reply 96
Original post by addvic
well i did have a pharmacy offer at UEA but i declined it cos i really dont want to do it! my advice is if you dont get the grades then reapply as a resit applicant.. but just work really really hard and make sure you get the grades so that you dont have to worry about being a resit applicant!

oh really? but i thought its hard as a resit applicant?

and do you know which unis accept resits?

yehhh im pretending i have an offer for dentistry so im working for the 3 As, ahha only things that motivating me right now!
Reply 97
Original post by ad2010

unis know how hard it is to get work experience, just make sure u get work experience in a variety of areas but at a dental clinic for a minimum of 2 weeks.

you can always say that you have planned to do work experience at blah blah in like christmas or something if you plan for it after the application deadline.
Reply 98

:biggrin:

Kings, Queen marys, cardiff and queens belfast :biggrin:
Reply 99

glasgow, cardiff, dundee and bristol at the mo, i'll probs change my mind though!

Quick Reply