The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

anyone know about my question ):
what sort of GCSE grades do people need?
Reply 2962
Original post by EbonyJane
HI :biggrin:
Im just wondering how much of a disadvantage id be at if i have to retake some of my AS modules in Year 13 ?

And if theres anywhere that just literally would refuse me at a glance :frown:

no. all modules taken in the 2 years are fine. Lots of people re-take Year 12 modules in Year 13. It's only a problem if it means your school won't predict you AAA (or BBB if you're going through a widening access scheme).
some schools certifty your AS results so they have to appear on your UCAS form but unis still look mainly at the predicted grades. If your school don't certify, you only have to put your AS module grades /scores if thet are really good..
I blew My AS levels-got BBCD so I didn't put them.
I got 3 offers based on my predicted grades.
ask at school if they certify. if they do and you're worried about it, ask your referee to put a comment in the reference if there are genuine reasons for the lower grades but really it's not a problem.
Reply 2963
Original post by AishaTara
what sort of GCSE grades do people need?

some unis want high GCSES eg 7+ A*s but they are in the minority. doublecheck the websites and look on the link on here about it-there's a handy chart. Lots of us with offers have only a few A*s or less. just be careful where you apply.
Reply 2964
I've had 7 med school offes in total-3 last year but missed my grades and 4 this year. I'm happy to help with any queries. sadly I know lots about applying as a re-sitter/ what each uni wants/ widening access schemes/ ideas for pers statements. I have my grades now so have spare time before starting Newcastle in September. I'm not an expert but I've spent enough time on tsr and had enough advice to help with some questions you may have.just quote me or send me a message. And believe me, no question is too stupid if it's worrying you-I asked some really dim questions when I first came on here..
Original post by conorcd
some unis want high GCSES eg 7+ A*s but they are in the minority. doublecheck the websites and look on the link on here about it-there's a handy chart. Lots of us with offers have only a few A*s or less. just be careful where you apply.

thank you so much :smile: yeah it's abit gutting because I am predicted around 7-8A* but in reality, I think I'll obtain between 3-5a* partly because I ahven't worked hard enough :/ I'm not fussy where I go, just as long as I'm doing what I want.
Kings and Bham would be nice, but the entry requirements for GCSE are high :/
Original post by conorcd
I've had 7 med school offes in total-3 last year but missed my grades and 4 this year. I'm happy to help with any queries. sadly I know lots about applying as a re-sitter/ what each uni wants/ widening access schemes/ ideas for pers statements. I have my grades now so have spare time before starting Newcastle in September. I'm not an expert but I've spent enough time on tsr and had enough advice to help with some questions you may have.just quote me or send me a message. And believe me, no question is too stupid if it's worrying you-I asked some really dim questions when I first came on here..

so you've obtained a place 2nd time round? after a gap year?
From what I've heard, as long as people get the grades, usually 2nd year round they get in :smile:
Congrats with Newcastle :smile:
Reply 2967
thank you so much :smile: yeah it's abit gutting because I am predicted around 7-8A* but in reality, I think I'll obtain between 3-5a* partly because I ahven't worked hard enough :/ I'm not fussy where I go, just as long as I'm doing what I want.
Kings and Bham would be nice, but the entry requirements for GCSE are high :/

if you get a high ukcat kings will look at that instead of your gcses. don't worry- I have 3 A*s and there were only around 5/26 unis I didn't have high enough gcses for. once your gcses are over, just concentrate on volunteering/work exp ( and obv your AS levels!).
Reply 2968
so you've obtained a place 2nd time round? after a gap year?
From what I've heard, as long as people get the grades, usually 2nd year round they get in :smile:
Congrats with Newcastle :smile:

I had to re-sit in Jan. reapplicants with AAA seem to do really well but a lot of us resitters got offers this year too. ( oh and I was meant to get a lot more A*s too. so long as you work harder in year 12, you'll be fine)
Original post by conorcd
if you get a high ukcat kings will look at that instead of your gcses. don't worry- I have 3 A*s and there were only around 5/26 unis I didn't have high enough gcses for. once your gcses are over, just concentrate on volunteering/work exp ( and obv your AS levels!).

i feel abit gulity, because I knew I wanted to medicine before GCSEs started, then like I found out grade requirements etc at the start of this year but didnt put the extra effort but I know people who got into Cambridge with A's and B's so I guess it depends on the person. Obviously, if you dont have social skills, straight A* mean nothing. I like UKCAT sort of stuff so should be okay
but thank you :biggrin: you've reassured me well :biggrin:
Original post by conorcd
no. all modules taken in the 2 years are fine. Lots of people re-take Year 12 modules in Year 13. It's only a problem if it means your school won't predict you AAA (or BBB if you're going through a widening access scheme).
some schools certifty your AS results so they have to appear on your UCAS form but unis still look mainly at the predicted grades. If your school don't certify, you only have to put your AS module grades /scores if thet are really good..
I blew My AS levels-got BBCD so I didn't put them.
I got 3 offers based on my predicted grades.
ask at school if they certify. if they do and you're worried about it, ask your referee to put a comment in the reference if there are genuine reasons for the lower grades but really it's not a problem.

thankyou, id been told it could be a problem but that it could be solved by just applying the year following year 13 when youve got your final grades (:
Original post by conorcd

Hi , maybe a stupid question for you :smile:
If i was to take the route of applying for 2012 entry and i got four rejections, if i was to apply for 2013 entry are there any universities that wont look at your application for a second time, ive heard some do this ?:confused:
Original post by EbonyJane
Hi , maybe a stupid question for you :smile:
If i was to take the route of applying for 2012 entry and i got four rejections, if i was to apply for 2013 entry are there any universities that wont look at your application for a second time, ive heard some do this ?:confused:

Maybe you should wait and see how you get on this year :smile: Don't worry about second applications until you have to.
Reply 2973
WOOOO KCL here I come.
Reply 2974
I'm really scared I won't get into Kings as I have really low predicted grades, I don't even... whatever. I was predicted C's and D's back in GCSE and mwahaha I mostly got B's and A's. So would This affect me getting an offer?
Hi guys! Seem to be so many new faces here :p: Although it may be me that's new as I only post in a set few threads :laugh:
Original post by JChoudhry
Hi guys! Seem to be so many new faces here :p: Although it may be me that's new as I only post in a set few threads :laugh:

You go and visit the real world for just a few days...
Original post by Amaal
I'm really scared I won't get into Kings as I have really low predicted grades, I don't even... whatever. I was predicted C's and D's back in GCSE and mwahaha I mostly got B's and A's. So would This affect me getting an offer?

With KCL, if your GCSEs aren't fantastic your UKCAT would have to be really good to balance it out. What are your GCSEs?
Reply 2978
Is there anyone doing maths that finds probability a bitch , not normal distribution and that stuff but the questions on pure probability how do you get round them!!??
Reply 2979
Hello everyone :smile: Is there anyone on here doing WJEC? x

Latest

Trending

Trending