The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 Biology Unit 2 Exam - 26th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DoaaK
i'm sure you'll have a really nice one :smile: don't worry!
what did your teacher say btw?

Firstly, HUGE thank for the explanation. That totally makes sense now. It's just one of those things I needed to get straight in my head.

Secondly, my teacher said that we essentially had the right idea between us:

1. The leaves are thin so that all the cells within the leaf have some contact with air and therefore 02 all the time.
2. They are large so that ther is a large underside (that will have many stomata) to allow air in and to increase SA for photosynthesis (see point four)
3. Also, the Mesophyll spongy layer, the cells are loosely packerd and irregular to increase S.A further.
4. Finally, respiration and Photsynthesis (obvs depending on whether it's day or night) help to maitin a concentation gradient and so lots of movement of 02 and Co2 in and out of the cells.

Hope that helps.
:smile:
HOLY ! Whoever made them must be HENCH at biology lmao !
Reply 242
Original post by Jorgeyy
Sweet, although I wasn't allowed to retake Unit 1 becase I got an A :frown:

what ums did you get for unit 1 out of interest?
Original post by Limitless
You my friend are a ****ing idiot.If it is not on the syllabus they are not going to ask about it. Stop worrying and confusing people.

They changed the Unit 4 biology syllabus for the exam in Jan this year, upto 8 marks were from stuff not on the syllabus. What do you have to say about that?
Original post by hello1234567
They changed the Unit 4 biology syllabus for the exam in Jan this year, upto 8 marks were from stuff not on the syllabus. What do you have to say about that?

Oh and also to let you know, my biology teacher is an AQA examiner. Just to add. Anyways what else everyone think that may come up? :smile:
Original post by EffKayy
what ums did you get for unit 1 out of interest?

86 :smile:

Got 99 in Econ and 91 in Core1 Math though, so I figured why not retake just the 1 unit as it shouldn't affect my summer exams really as retakes were quite early on.

Is there a provisional mark scheme out for the EMPA (unit 3) we did? Or is that still not allowed yet? It would be great to know how I did >.>
Reply 246
Original post by Jorgeyy
86 :smile:

Got 99 in Econ and 91 in Core1 Math though, so I figured why not retake just the 1 unit as it shouldn't affect my summer exams really as retakes were quite early on.

Is there a provisional mark scheme out for the EMPA (unit 3) we did? Or is that still not allowed yet? It would be great to know how I did >.>

Wow that's amazing :L
Nope there ain't a markscheme out for the empa...
Though I think I've done alright in it, I don't want to see the markscheme (flopped quite a few questions)
Reply 247

I don't know if you are just chatting ****. I never sat the exam so I don't know, I would need to ask somebody who sat the exam and does not talk out of his ass like you.
Reply 248
Prediction for 6 Marker at the end?
Original post by EffKayy
Wow that's amazing :L
Nope there ain't a markscheme out for the empa...
Though I think I've done alright in it, I don't want to see the markscheme (flopped quite a few questions)

My graph was messy because I had to change it...

I'm pretty sure the one I changed it too was right though and if it's right im gonna get full marks even though it's an ugly looking thing lol !

I used Relative Rate (1/time) sec^-1 I think?

I remember some dodgy questions as well lol like why did you rotate the tube and all I could think of was to allow enzyme and substrate to be mixed properly or something and so you could identify when a curd appeared.

Stupid stuff -.-
I don't know if you are just chatting ****. I never sat the exam so I don't know, I would need to ask somebody who sat the exam and does not talk out of his ass like you.

Sure my friend, believe what you may, ask anyone, they had something about respirometer on the paper, look at the paper yourself if you like.. it has nothing to do with the syllabus and wasn't even How Science Works. anyways don't want the hate , just sharing my own thoughts, if a question on air sacs does come up then don't come back crying. anyways good luck.
Original post by V.I.P
Prediction for 6 Marker at the end?

All im saying is that 6 marker on arteries and arterioles was a female dog !
Reply 252
Sure my friend, believe what you may, ask anyone, they had something about respirometer on the paper, look at the paper yourself if you like.. it has nothing to do with the syllabus and wasn't even How Science Works. anyways don't want the hate , just sharing my own thoughts, if a question on air sacs does come up then don't come back crying. anyways good luck.

How do you know there is something on air sacs? Cheating?
Original post by Jorgeyy
Has anyone got a set of notes for Unit 2?

I'm more of a past paper and read the textbook kinda person since my handwriting is debatable... :L

I'd appreciate it, rep and love :')

More BIOL2 notes, It has Biol1 as well but you can just ignore it.:cool:

Links:
Chapters 4-13
Chapters 1-3 and HSW
I got 58/85 on the Specimen Paper? Any ideas what kind of grade it could be? It seems awfully low for an A or B...?
Original post by therapist_1
More BIOL2 notes, It has Biol1 as well but you can just ignore it.:cool:

Links:
Chapters 4-13
Chapters 1-3 and HSW

Sweet, thanks for the link mate !

And Abi, you'd be surprised, that might have just reached the A boundary... at least in the real papers it's been like 60/85 for a A
How do you know there is something on air sacs? Cheating?

I don't. My teacher just said to revise it.
Reply 257
Guys what chapter has things on air sacs? :confused:
Try not to get in to your mind the grade boundary. You will then automatically feel that you can loose certain amount of marks and still get A, but instead you will loose those marks plus the ones you thought were correct and so you might end up getting low grades. just stick to 80% being and A and then you will have higher chances to get A in actual exams.
Original post by V.I.P
Guys what chapter has things on air sacs? :confused:

There is nothing about air sacs in spec. So you will have no prior knowledge to what they are. The only possible question they could ask is on HSW and may include air sacs, but this will have no effect on the answer at all. So dont worry about this air sac thing every one is saying.:wink:

You should be able to find air sac structure in the insect tracheal system, if not you could google it, but it is not vital to know it.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending