The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCE Geography unit 4: Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Koranzite
I agree, the pre-release seems like a good one, causes and impacts are the easiest areas of the sylabus. The word 'diasaster' may also prove key here, such as: 'What are the factors that lead a tectonic hazard to become a disaster, and how do these impacts vary in scale in contrasting locations?'.

However, it may not be an open-ended question, it may mention a single factor, with 'discuss' at the end to lure people into the trap of only mentioning that factor, e.g: 'Tectonic hazards are more likely to become greater scale disasters in regions of the world close to plate boundaries. Discuss.'

All speculation mind be prepared for anything in this exam!

Hey would you happen to have any notes or possible questions for this exam?
Doing the tectonics one :smile:

ty
Wow never saw this thread, I am doing Live On the Margins (Desertification)
there are really only 2 main questions that can come up:
Desertification is the most important process leading to food insecurity
- so like is desertification the most important factor ? - Or isnt it the most important factor? - OR is it only a contributing factor
and:
To combat desertification in drylands (or food insecurity in general) management strategies must be used, combating both physical and human cause
- so like should management be focused on physical or human causes, Or both

a good technique i use in the structure of my analysis is,

Yes it could true that xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ( So agree with the statement)
No, It is not true that xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (disagree with the statement)
however it could be argued that ( Sit on the fence)
Reply 42
Original post by antipesto93
Wow never saw this thread, I am doing Live On the Margins (Desertification)
there are really only 2 main questions that can come up:
Desertification is the most important process leading to food insecurity
- so like is desertification the most important factor ? - Or isnt it the most important factor? - OR is it only a contributing factor
and:
To combat desertification in drylands (or food insecurity in general) management strategies must be used, combating both physical and human cause
- so like should management be focused on physical or human causes, Or both

a good technique i use in the structure of my analysis is,

Yes it could true that xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ( So agree with the statement)
No, It is not true that xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (disagree with the statement)
however it could be argued that ( Sit on the fence)

I'm doing life on the margins too.
You really think that second question you posted could come up? I really doubt (and hope!) that they would have a question to do with management without any hint about it in the pre release don't you think?
Would be a really unfair question given what it says on the pre-release, and i think its much more likely to be around processes (including desertification) that lead to food insecurity.
Anybody who is doing Cultural Diversity has found the focus a bit similiar to the examplar report that edexcel gives 'to what extent global culture exists' ?
Reply 44
I've got a lot of notes and ideas, but bringing them all together in a report is gna be a tackle :s-smilie:
does anyone have report planning grids/examples/techniques??
Original post by Cermo
I'm doing life on the margins too.
You really think that second question you posted could come up? I really doubt (and hope!) that they would have a question to do with management without any hint about it in the pre release don't you think?
Would be a really unfair question given what it says on the pre-release, and i think its much more likely to be around processes (including desertification) that lead to food insecurity.

It can come up, although the question mentions management, you would loose marks for actually tacking about management techniques
what would you do is say where management needs to be focused, on physical cause? human causes? or both :biggrin:
Reply 46
How many case studies are you all using?? I'm doing 4 in great detail for life on the margins :smile:
Reply 47
I'm doing life on the margins too! I'm using 5 casestudies with the likelihood of using 4 in the exam. Although I'm slightly concerned as my teacher kept pushing us to do case studies that weren't desertification, and some that were not in drylands. I'm really rethinking this since finding this thread. What case studies are people doing? i.e. 3 drylands and 2 desertification kinda thing
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by CHemgeo
I'm doing life on the margins too! I'm using 5 casestudies with the likelihood of using 4 in the exam. Although I'm slightly concerned as my teacher kept pushing us to do case studies that weren't desertification, and some that were not in drylands. I'm really rethinking this since finding this thread. What case studies are people doing? i.e. 3 drylands and 2 desertification kinda thing

I'm doing all case studies which are in dryland areas I only have one out of the four which isn't desertification :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by Wellsy1210

I'm doing all case studies which are in dryland areas I only have one out of the four which isn't desertification :smile:

Oh...damn I'm going have to rethink case studies with the exam being so close, thanks :smile:
How many case studies are you all using?? I'm doing 4 in great detail for life on the margins :smile:

Original post by CHemgeo

Hey all, I am doing Life on the margins too, I have alot more case studies :frown: but not in as that much deatail

alot of the case studies can be things like global warming, water scarecity, biological pests, political missrule,

If you get a question saying
Desertificaiton is the largest thread to food security, discuss
- you will need both Dryland (desertification) case studies and case studies that illustrate different causes.

Oh and also make sure you have some from MEDC's and LEDC's etc to show you have a range of case studies/

and now my question!

- What diagrams, Theories and drawings can you use for this topic?
repost soz
Reply 52
No one doing cold environments?
Reply 53
Original post by antipesto93
Hey all, I am doing Life on the margins too, I have alot more case studies :frown: but not in as that much deatail

alot of the case studies can be things like global warming, water scarecity, biological pests, political missrule,

If you get a question saying
Desertificaiton is the largest thread to food security, discuss
- you will need both Dryland (desertification) case studies and case studies that illustrate different causes.

Oh and also make sure you have some from MEDC's and LEDC's etc to show you have a range of case studies/

and now my question!

- What diagrams, Theories and drawings can you use for this topic?

That is a really good point. Okay this exam should be fun.

But anyway, drawings in the textbook there is the diagram for desertification in the Sahel (Dunn et al btw) and it basically shows all the causes from what I can remember. Erm, tbh I don't really like doing drawings, i know they save time but I can never fit them in 'well'. But theorists really depend on case studies and the question...I mean I could list all of the ones that I know relate to mine but they may not relate to your case studies. For example, I can use the Kalahandi syndrome if I do Haiti, but it's not desertification and it may not help your case studies. I'm rambling here sorry and probably wasn't helpful.
Original post by CHemgeo
That is a really good point. Okay this exam should be fun.

But anyway, drawings in the textbook there is the diagram for desertification in the Sahel (Dunn et al btw) and it basically shows all the causes from what I can remember. Erm, tbh I don't really like doing drawings, i know they save time but I can never fit them in 'well'. But theorists really depend on case studies and the question...I mean I could list all of the ones that I know relate to mine but they may not relate to your case studies. For example, I can use the Kalahandi syndrome if I do Haiti, but it's not desertification and it may not help your case studies. I'm rambling here sorry and probably wasn't helpful.

hi, yeah i remember that diagram, its the one with loads of bent arrows :biggrin:
that does help :biggrin:
i also found you can use the nutrition spectrum and im going to find a graph showing food supply and generation.
what r some case studies for the cultural diversity question?

So far i've got mcdonaldisation, north korea and the world media.
Reply 56
How much revision is everyone doing for this exam?
I haven't really done that much.. i'm really focusing on my other 2 subjects which require a lot a lot of content and revision.
I have done some - so I've done a practise report and have gone over my key case studies...do you think that will be enough, as long as I do a bit more which I intend to
I reckon that the exam won't be too difficult to pass. I only need a B (i would obviously love an A) but i did quite well in my past exams AS and A2 January Module unit 3 so hopefully it won't be too difficult..
Reply 57
Original post by naija_kyd_14
what r some case studies for the cultural diversity question?

So far i've got mcdonaldisation, north korea and the world media.

France (who have kind of resisted globalisation to some extent)
Anglicisation of foreign languages
Japan (in textbook)

There are lots! read the edexcel endorsed textbook. I'm sure you'll find lots of relevant stuff in there (:
Reply 58
Also, does anyone know of any possible diagrams for the cultural diversity question. I can't think of any but was just wondering if anyone knew of any?
Reply 59
Original post by lolly21
How much revision is everyone doing for this exam?
I haven't really done that much.. i'm really focusing on my other 2 subjects which require a lot a lot of content and revision.
I have done some - so I've done a practise report and have gone over my key case studies...do you think that will be enough, as long as I do a bit more which I intend to
I reckon that the exam won't be too difficult to pass. I only need a B (i would obviously love an A) but i did quite well in my past exams AS and A2 January Module unit 3 so hopefully it won't be too difficult..

It sounds like I'm in a similar position to you. This exam is definitely one of my less important ones and so I'm really not spending that much time on it. I've summarised all of my case studies that are relevant to the pre release and am memorising statistics. I've also created a basic introduction and methodology which I'm going to memorise so I can tweak it to the question in the exam and have thought about what my conclusion is likely to be.

It just seems quite a formulaic exam so I'm sure if you know you're stuff and tick all the boxes (sourcing, models, evaluation etc.) you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending