The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ilovedubstep
where is that btw?

Worcester
Original post by roseroserose.
hahaha my music skills are rather lacking, Grade 1 Viola and Grade 4 piano is as far as I stretch :biggrin:
Thanks, that's awesome :smile: I don't think it's too much of an issue anyway, thank you Welsh Assembly :wink:

I just read the non-academic travel bit, wow they have way too much money for their own good :redface:

You play(ed) viola? :awesome: It doesn't matter that you're grade 1, viola automatically makes you awesome.
Original post by dnumberwang
so i've spent the day before my economics exam deciding that I will definitely probably apply here

the lonely goatherd will be most pleased. yes that is me with my bag on my front because i'm getting something out of it

I'm indeed most pleased :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm indeed most pleased :biggrin:

lol it was also thanks to the Maths student who came and gave a talk at the open day who also goes to Worcester
Original post by roseroserose.
My teacher is literally the Oxbridge Officer at our school (our school completely obsesses over it) and says although they claim not to look too much into GCSE's, the trend is at least 6 A's/A*s. And if you meet their A-Level demands, which for most courses is 3As I think, then why not?

They base it on the essays you send in, the aptitude tests if you have to do any, and your personal statement. That's even before they decide who they interview. I think it's definitely worth just trying, even for the experience. I mean you'll never know otherwise. And on the brightside it gets your personal statement out the way early, so you don;t have to think about it when you're doing your January exams :smile:

Thanks :smile: I'll see how I do when results come round in August, but I don't see any reason not to apply. 5 applications, so I can afford to have one on the line.
Unfortunately, if I do apply, it'll be for English/History, and I'm aware that those are the most sought after places. I've got a while to ponder it.
Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by Banoffeepie16
x

Hey, I didn't see you! (Well, no one called Banoffeepie16 came up to me, so...) What did you think? I was the one who asked the question about the interview system. :wink:
Anyone going to Balliol on the 7th of July (for the open day)?
Original post by anyone_can_fly
You play(ed) viola? :awesome: It doesn't matter that you're grade 1, viola automatically makes you awesome.

Ohh yes! the less popular but more kick-ass version of a violin. We got less solos in orchestra but they'd have fallen apart without us I'll tell you that for free! :biggrin:
unfortunately it's play(ed), I fell and fractured my jaw/ heavily bruised my chin so had to stop for a long time, never got back into it:/ do you play?
Maybe visiting Oxford was a really really bad idea since I found it SO beautiful :frown:
Reply 569
Username: Ibs007
Subject: PPE
IGCSE: 1A*'s and 5 A's and a B
GCSE: 1A, 1B and 1C
As: Maths, Economics, History and Physics
College: Magdalen or St. Annes
Original post by tgarrud
Anyone going to Balliol on the 7th of July (for the open day)?

I am :biggrin:. Well, the 7th or the 6th I can't remember. What made you choose Balliol?
Reply 571
Original post by white_orchidea

Original post by white_orchidea
Ok, I may ask a stupid question, but I need a piece of advice of people who are experienced. I would like to do 3 A-levels in one year:business, economics and maths to apply for PPE. My situation is rather complicated; I have completed the IB Diploma course, but I don't think that I have performed well in maths (I am still waiting for my results).The rest of the subjects is fine. I would like to know whether there is a chance to get to Oxford after one year of A-levels with 3 subjects and not amazing results from IB or rather take 2 years of A-levels and do not even admit that I have finished the IB?
Thanks for any responses.

Business and Economics is too much of an overlap - its not advised to take those 2 A levels at all - and thats for many universities!
Reply 572
Username: @Jamie
GCSE: 11 A*, 1 A
AS Levels: Maths, Physics, Government & Politics, Spanish, Computing
College: No preference at the moment
Reply 573
Original post by ibs007

Original post by ibs007
Username: Ibs007
IGCSE: 1A*'s and 5 A's and a B
GCSE: 1A, 1B and 1C
As: Maths, Economics, History and Physics
College: Magdalen or St. Annes

Just a quick question - are my I/GCSE grades high enough for Oxford? Im doing really well so far at A - Level. Im aiming to get A*A*A* -A*A*A predictions. IF i do get those predictions will my application stand a chance?

Thanks for all the help. :smile:
I think there is a thread for your question... :smile:
Original post by ibs007
Just a quick question - are my I/GCSE grades high enough for Oxford? Im doing really well so far at A - Level. Im aiming to get A*A*A* -A*A*A predictions. IF i do get those predictions will my application stand a chance?

Thanks for all the help. :smile:
Reply 575
Original post by Phia7

Original post by Phia7
I think there is a thread for your question... :smile:

Could you kindly post the link?
Original post by such_a_lady
Maybe visiting Oxford was a really really bad idea since I found it SO beautiful :frown:

I had the exact same thing, I loved it too much :colondollar:
Reply 579
Original post by The Great Mortimer

Original post by The Great Mortimer
Oxford is rubbish compared to other unis.

Good one. You clearly know nothing about higher education!

Latest

Trending

Trending