Go to Asda in Alloa
Go to EVA
Find out where all the computer labs are
Wear a onesie
Walk on the frozen loch
Build a snowman
Have a BBQ on campus
Live off campus
Steal a cone (Does a 'Stirling rugby club' sign count? XD Then again that was my flatmates, not me! But it's the prized posession of my flat! lol
Make an Asian friend
Make a porter bffl
Join a sports club

How do you CATCH a rabbit!? :eek: lol

I would also add make a duck/swan bbfl! LOL I have to walk from cottrell to pathfoot and/or back lots because all my classes are split between them, and if you stop for more than 2 seconds you're surrounded by swans and ducks lol!

ALSO make it your life goal to be served by the very enthusiastic woman in the bookshop! If you've been served by her you'll know what I'm talking about. She puts on a very strange voice and over-stresses everything, like "that's THREE pounds TWENTY please.... Thank YOU!" LOL it really is something to behold! XD
(edited 12 years ago)
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Original post by -Neon-
Bit of fun this :biggrin:

Comment with your 'things to do'.

Walk around the loch
Catch a rabbit
Use the lift in the library
Use the lift in the atrium
Go down to level 1 in the library
Go to Haldanes
Grab some free condoms from the union offices
Visit the Wallace monument
Climb the Dumyat
Go to Asda in Alloa
Go to EVA
Wear a onesie
Walk on the frozen loch
Build a snowman
Have a BBQ on campus
Live off campus
Steal a cone
Make an Asian friend
Make a porter bffl
Join a sports club

What's the fascination with the Asda in Alloa? :curious:
Reply 3
Original post by flown_muse
What's the fascination with the Asda in Alloa? :curious:

Compared to Tesco and Sainsburys in Stirling.....it's amazinggggg.

Although I do like shopping at Iceland in Stirling.
Original post by -Neon-
Compared to Tesco and Sainsburys in Stirling.....it's amazinggggg.

Although I do like shopping at Iceland in Stirling.

Lol, I suppose, compared to the Stirling Tesco it's amazing :biggrin:
Reply 5
You do realise there's a Tesco Extra 24H just round the corner from the ASDA, right?

To add to the list:

Go to Dusk and not get a shoe stuck to the floor.
Visit every pub in Baker Street for a pint/drink.
Get chips from every chippy in town. (Il Vicolo across from Oxfam Books nom nom nom, best chips in Stirling Town)
Sit in Kings Park with a bottle of Strongbow all day.
Jump the bus queue to in front of a group of Chinese students and see how they like it.
Original post by -Neon-

Comment with your 'things to do'.

Walk around the loch
Catch a rabbit
Use the lift in the library
Use the lift in the atrium
Go down to level 1 in the library
Go to Haldanes
Visit the Wallace monument
Climb the Dumyat
Go to Asda in Alloa
Go to EVA
Wear a onesie
Walk on the frozen loch
Build a snowman
Have a BBQ on campus
Live off campus
Steal a cone
Make an Asian friend
Make a porter bffl
Join a sports club

I realise now looking at your sig there's no point asking this question cause you've obviously done Computing Maths and Philosophy in your first yearbut I was gonna ask for advice. I'm going to do Maths in first year and thought I'd do Computing as well, but I've no idea what to pick for my third subject. Also, I've not even done Computing at Standard Grade, will that matter?

Help appreciated :smile:
Reply 7
I realise now looking at your sig there's no point asking this question cause you've obviously done Computing Maths and Philosophy in your first yearbut I was gonna ask for advice. I'm going to do Maths in first year and thought I'd do Computing as well, but I've no idea what to pick for my third subject. Also, I've not even done Computing at Standard Grade, will that matter?

Help appreciated :smile:

:smile:
1st year computing science is very, very easy. I got a firsts in both semesters. You start of by doing stuff on excel etc., and then you move on to editing simple web pages and editing simple java applets. It won't matter that you've never done computing before.
In 1st year I took Religion & Biology as 3rd modules. It doesn't matter what your 3rd module is, just pick something you might be interested in, or failing that, something that is easy (The 1st year aquaculture modules are easy).
Original post by -Neon-
:smile:
1st year computing science is very, very easy. I got a firsts in both semesters. You start of by doing stuff on excel etc., and then you move on to editing simple web pages and editing simple java applets. It won't matter that you've never done computing before.
In 1st year I took Religion & Biology as 3rd modules. It doesn't matter what your 3rd module is, just pick something you might be interested in, or failing that, something that is easy (The 1st year aquaculture modules are easy).

Cool :smile: I'd quite like to do Biological/Environmental Science, but do you know if there are any praticals involved in that? Me and praticals don't go.

and how come you did religion and biolgy, I thought you had to do Maths in first year if you do Computing?

Reply 9
Cool :smile: I'd quite like to do Biological/Environmental Science, but do you know if there are any praticals involved in that? Me and praticals don't go.

and how come you did religion and biolgy, I thought you had to do Maths in first year if you do Computing?

I'm not sure if there's any practicals in the first year Biology and Environmental Science modules. I know there's modules you can do on Lab Skills which is practical based.

You only have to do maths if you're doing a single honours in computing science, whereas im doing a joint in comp science and philosophy.
Original post by -Neon-
I'm not sure if there's any practicals in the first year Biology and Environmental Science modules. I know there's modules you can do on Lab Skills which is practical based.

You only have to do maths if you're doing a single honours in computing science, whereas im doing a joint in comp science and philosophy.

Interesting. I wish it was July already so I could get my welcome pack. Thanks for all the info, you've been most helpful. :h:
Reply 11
God this is depressing....
1 month left :frown:

Strangely going to miss the late night B corridor labs sesh's!
Reply 12

Hey, not sure if you are wondering about the Environmental science module anymore but i will answer it for you anyway.

I have done Environmental science in both first and second year and yes there are praticals involved. I am rubbish at them too and i got through them - not sure how! They are not too difficult as you are in groups. In first year we had to measure rain water run off from things like a foot path, a grassy field etc. My group were all clueless - me included - but we managed it fine.
In first and second year there is also a rubbish pratical were you have to weigh a can, bottle, newspaper etc. I literally sat there for 2 hours and did not do much and i still passed it and got a good mark for the report on it!
After that there are 2 computer sessions where it is filling in a database, but it is very easy.

I hope this answers your question and if you want to ask any more about it then feel free - it is an interesting module :smile:

Oh and my boyfriend did physiology in first year and he had no praticals - but three lectures a week. (which is in the biology school).

Oh and the list - love it! Especially true about skipping the chinese groups and about the library :smile:
Reply 13
Being from near Stirling myself and have lived around it all my life my only piece of advice would to be to do none of these things and get out ASAP!

Stirling, in my opinion, is a soul destroying place with no 'vibe' whatsoever (unless you count the whole watching over your shoulder incase you get stabbed vibe). Dusk is a decent wee club but its just too full of neds and at 3am there's no a single chippy open!?!

Not to mention outside the McDonalds is the teenage mothers hang-out spot...
Reply 14
Are you kidding? Stirling is like, THE safest place I have ever known. If you're worried about getting stabbed here, then you'll have a mighty big shock when you move to a real city.

Then again, you must have a small-town outlook if you think Dusk is a decent club (not that FUBAR's any better.)
Reply 15
Its what you make of it - i have been to Edinburgh a few times for a night out and had crap nights, but been in stirling and had amazing nights. Depends on company, amount of drink etc. But aye you can have **** nights in stirling too, but you know its small before you study here.
Reply 16
Original post by Squeeg
Are you kidding? Stirling is like, THE safest place I have ever known. If you're worried about getting stabbed here, then you'll have a mighty big shock when you move to a real city.

Then again, you must have a small-town outlook if you think Dusk is a decent club (not that FUBAR's any better.)

Trust me, I'm from Stirling and now live in Glasgow for uni. I feel much safer (and a lot of people I know say the same) walking around Glasgow at 3am than I do Stirling. I say 'decent', but that doesn't mean it compares to any club in Glasgow. For what it is, Dusk is decent and does the job if I'm back home and want a night out.

Stirling is a dump, it's a city because of won a competition. Go to McDonalds next to the Thistle Centre at any time of day and you'll see hundreds of teenage mothers hanging out.
Reply 17
Original post by RobertD
Trust me, I'm from Stirling and now live in Glasgow for uni. I feel much safer (and a lot of people I know say the same) walking around Glasgow at 3am than I do Stirling. I say 'decent', but that doesn't mean it compares to any club in Glasgow. For what it is, Dusk is decent and does the job if I'm back home and want a night out.

Stirling is a dump, it's a city because of won a competition. Go to McDonalds next to the Thistle Centre at any time of day and you'll see hundreds of teenage mothers hanging out.

Hey it's not that bad. I'm also from Stirling and moved away for uni, and I agree about it being dodgy at 3am- I think that's partly because there are much fewer people around than in bigger cities at that time.
As for the teenage mothers in McDonalds, you'll get that anywhere in Scotland:tongue:
Yes it gets a bit boring, but I reckon it was an alright place to grow up, and small enough to give you freedom when a bit older, but not too small to have nothing to do. It wouldn't be too bad going to uni there for a few years, but you might want to go somewhere bigger when you graduate!
Original post by -Neon-

...Go to Asda in Alloa...

This is VERY BAD advice.

I'm from Clackmannanshire and let me tell you all that anywhere in Alloa should be avoided at all costs :biggrin:

Things on the list I have done -

Go to Haldanes
Go to Asda in Alloa
Live off campus

Wow I really need to get my butt in gear.
Reply 19
Original post by ithinkitslametodance
This is VERY BAD advice.

I'm from Clackmannanshire and let me tell you all that anywhere in Alloa should be avoided at all costs :biggrin:

what's wrong with alloa?

Quick Reply