The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Glee Society... No Future Spoilers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PrettyRainbows
I adore Wicked, I saw it for my 16th birthday and it started the tradition of seeing a west end show every year, so I love it even more. It will never take Phantom's place in my heart though, but I have to admit I cried when Elphaba sang Defying Gravity. It was just soooooo good!
Also, good work with the chapter! Can't wait to see how everything turns out :biggrin:

I can't stand Andrew Lloyd Webber but even I liked Phantom! Loved it for a while! It didn't really do anything for me emotionally though, the book broke my heart!
The musical that has a special place in my heart is Company. I'll never forget it! I litl
almost stopped breathing during the last scene because it was so powerful and then during Being Alive, I was in floods. At the curtain call they reprise the first song again and it was amazing because it was this small dingy little theatre (I love fringe! The Union is amazing!) and I was sitting in the front row and singing along and the cast all smiled and waved at me and I was a little bit in love with the guy who played the lead by the end because his voice and acting was just amazing. *cough* And he was hot *cough* :love: I miss going to the theatre.
Original post by diamonddust
I can't stand Andrew Lloyd Webber but even I liked Phantom! Loved it for a while! It didn't really do anything for me emotionally though, the book broke my heart!
The musical that has a special place in my heart is Company. I'll never forget it! I litl
almost stopped breathing during the last scene because it was so powerful and then during Being Alive, I was in floods. At the curtain call they reprise the first song again and it was amazing because it was this small dingy little theatre (I love fringe! The Union is amazing!) and I was sitting in the front row and singing along and the cast all smiled and waved at me and I was a little bit in love with the guy who played the lead by the end because his voice and acting was just amazing. *cough* And he was hot *cough* :love: I miss going to the theatre.

I've never seen Company :frown: I am unfortunately desperately lacking in knowledge when it comes to Sondheim. I've seen quite a few musicals though. I'm trying to think of them all now. Lion King (on Broadway!!! That was awesome), Phantom obviously, Joseph, Sound of Music, Spamalot, Wicked, Hairspray, Rent, Starlight Express. I think that's it. Oh, I saw Matilda the Musical in Stratford upon Avon, and am trying to persuade my mum to take me when it moves to the west end in October because it was awesome :biggrin: I have her to thank for my love of musical theatre. I grew up on various soundtracks of her favourite shows.
Reply 6382
'Special Education' was just on TV here and during 'Hey Soul Sister' my mum looked up from her magazine, pointed at Darren and said 'is that the guy you like?'. I was surprised she knew, but ready to take in the criticism when she said 'he's really handsome!' :eek: It was a complete shock. This is the second time in my life we both agreed on a man's looks, she normally thinks the guys I like are hideous. Then she said 'I wish you would have a boyfriend again. Someone as good-looking as him. Or him.' :rofl: You and I both, mum.
Guys! just seen rumours (wehbgeiwrhgbwhbgiawhb i hate channel 4 for taking so long to put on subtitles!!!!!) and I actually quite enjoyed the songs!! Aprils bit seemed a bit wedged for no reason though.
I'm kinda pissed off at Santana for breaking Artie and Brittney up, she had no reason to meddle in that relationship if it was going fine as it was. Artie shouldn't have called her stupid though. Poor Sam, arn't his siblings cute!!!!

Guys, I had a dream the other night and I can't remember anything else at all from the dream other than that someone drew a really scrappy map of california and labelled cities but specifically Clovis, which i felt was weird but whatever :biggrin:

I was reading peoples stories of homophobia earlier and I really feel for you guys, it must be horrible. Please remember though that not every straight person is homophobic, I would be so so hurt if I found out that someone I knew had not been honest with me about their sexuality because they thought i'd be homophobic because i'm straight. People deserve to be free to be themselves, straight or gay. I don't encounter homophobia much myself but I speak up against it every time. The less people are who are open about their sexuality the more straight people stay ignorant! Educate the ignorant masses! (if you feel anything i've just said is not ok, feel free to debate/criticise)
Reply 6384
The musicals/plays I've seen.. (Most in London but some in Birmigham..)

Phantom of the Opera. (Don't hate me guys.. But I couldn't stand it. But that was probably due to the fact that I didn't have a clue what was going on. (I've never seen the film or anything and I couldn't hear what they were saying on stage..)
Henry V (actually saw this is Stratford Upon Avon..)
Othello (with Chiwetel Ejiofor as Othello and Ewan McGregor as Iago)
The Lord of the Rings the musical (saw it twice.)
Spamalot! (Once in London, once in Llandudno)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Oh and I've seen an opera at the Royal Opera House because I'm just that cool :cool:

(I was suppose to see the Lion King as well but there was an emergency at home so we had to leave London an hour before we were going to see it... )
Original post by Ambs
Ooh, going to Wicked together would be amazing! I've never been to a musical, and going to one with you guys would be sdgjokhkjksjg :woo:

I'm seriously up for it! I'll take any excuse to see Wicked and a group Wicked trip with you lovely people from here will just be totally awesome!
Reply 6386
I am totally up for seeing Wicked.

Also, you guys are more than welcome to tag along with me to go see the Lion King because I am going to see it next time I go to London. (Have no idea when I'm next going to London but I've got to see it while I'm there..)
Original post by Hravan

Phantom of the Opera. (Don't hate me guys.. But I couldn't stand it. But that was probably due to the fact that I didn't have a clue what was going on. (I've never seen the film or anything and I couldn't hear what they were saying on stage..)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Oh and I've seen an opera at the Royal Opera House because I'm just that cool :cool:

(I was suppose to see the Lion King as well but there was an emergency at home so we had to leave London an hour before we were going to see it... )

Not many Phantom fans on here :frown: It is a weird story, but I suppose I've been brought up to love it, seeing as how the first time I 'saw' it was about 4 hours before my mum went into labour with me haha.
I completely forgot I'd seen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, I knew I'd missed one out. I didn't like it much but I felt obligated to see it because someone from my class had the male kid role, and it was a pretty big deal to a school in the middle of nowhere that they had a kid on the west end.
Original post by PrettyRainbows
I've never seen Company :frown: I am unfortunately desperately lacking in knowledge when it comes to Sondheim. I've seen quite a few musicals though. I'm trying to think of them all now. Lion King (on Broadway!!! That was awesome), Phantom obviously, Joseph, Sound of Music, Spamalot, Wicked, Hairspray, Rent, Starlight Express. I think that's it. Oh, I saw Matilda the Musical in Stratford upon Avon, and am trying to persuade my mum to take me when it moves to the west end in October because it was awesome :biggrin: I have her to thank for my love of musical theatre. I grew up on various soundtracks of her favourite shows.

Matilda the musical exists??? OMG what have I been doing with my life?
At least you know who Sondheim is! In that respect you're far ahead of everyone else haha! I'm not *quite* a Sondheim expert as of yet but I'm a huge fan! :tongue: I'd advise starting out with Into the Woods if you want to get into his musicals. The recent Regent's Park production was stunning, though *I* could have done a better job than the male lead who couldn't reach any of the notes. *mean*
I think my all-time favourite Sondheim musical is Sweeney Todd -NOT the film version- and then followed by Company, Sunday in the Park with George (especially with Bernadette Peters :love:) ,A Little Night Music, Follies, Passion- but it took me about 5 months to get into Passion, at first I listened to it without paying attention and got bored but it's beautiful when you finally get into it- Pacific Overtures still confuses me because I'm not clever enough to understand it, I haven't had time to watch Assassins and I really don't like his earlier stuff (Saturday Night, Merrily We Roll Along... not even the lyrics to Westside Story!)
Sorry...that turned into a rant! I don't often get the chance to talk Sondheim haha!

Original post by Hravan

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Don't tell my sister you saw Othello with Chiwetel! She fancies him so much!
I'm so jealous you've seen shows on Broadway and gone to the Royal Opera House! I needs to gets my theatre on!
Original post by Hravan
I am totally up for seeing Wicked.

Also, you guys are more than welcome to tag along with me to go see the Lion King because I am going to see it next time I go to London. (Have no idea when I'm next going to London but I've got to see it while I'm there..)

:love: I've wanted to see Lion King on stage for AGES! I'd tag along but I wouldn't want to impose! :redface:
Matilda the musical exists??? OMG what have I been doing with my life?
At least you know who Sondheim is! In that respect you're far ahead of everyone else haha! I'm not *quite* a Sondheim expert as of yet but I'm a huge fan! :tongue: I'd advise starting out with Into the Woods if you want to get into his musicals. The recent Regent's Park production was stunning, though *I* could have done a better job than the male lead who couldn't reach any of the notes. *mean*
I think my all-time favourite Sondheim musical is Sweeney Todd -NOT the film version- and then followed by Company, Sunday in the Park with George (especially with Bernadette Peters :love:) ,A Little Night Music, Follies, Passion- but it took me about 5 months to get into Passion, at first I listened to it without paying attention and got bored but it's beautiful when you finally get into it- Pacific Overtures still confuses me because I'm not clever enough to understand it, I haven't had time to watch Assassins and I really don't like his earlier stuff (Saturday Night, Merrily We Roll Along... not even the lyrics to Westside Story!)
Sorry...that turned into a rant! I don't often get the chance to talk Sondheim haha!

Don't tell my sister you saw Othello with Chiwetel! She fancies him so much!
I'm so jealous you've seen shows on Broadway and gone to the Royal Opera House! I needs to gets my theatre on!

It certainly does! It's really recent, I saw it at the end of its 4 month run at the end of January. I only knew about it because I adore Tim Minchin, and he wrote the music and lyrics for it. Add to that a friend who also adores Roald Dahl and Tim Minchin, and the fact that she lives very close to Stratford, and that that we could get front row Dress Circle tickets for £5 thanks to the wonderful RSC and you have an awesome night. It's an amazing show, the guy who plays Miss Trunchbull was hilarious and utterly terrifying, I completely recommend it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Funny timing: a huge musical discussion comes up on here just as Glee inspires me to watch Rent. Which I am loving.
Original post by shinobi93

Original post by shinobi93
Funny timing: a huge musical discussion comes up on here just as Glee inspires me to watch Rent. Which I am loving.

RENT :party:

I've just been watching Original Songs (I watched it all the way through this time and it's been a while so at the moment I'm on such a high). Then I watched BIOTA :woo:

I might have to watch selected scenes from rent now.
Reply 6393
I'm seriously up for it! I'll take any excuse to see Wicked and a group Wicked trip with you lovely people from here will just be totally awesome!

So am I! :biggrin: For me the 27th or the 28th would be ideal - but you guys can go any time you want to, obviously. It's just that if you would happen to go then I'd love to come along :biggrin:

Seeing my first musical with you people would be amazing! :woo:
Spoilers are coming out saying Quinn

Spoiler

I'm scared guys.
Reply 6395
:love: I've wanted to see Lion King on stage for AGES! I'd tag along but I wouldn't want to impose! :redface:

Come with me!!

I'd be seeing it by myself otherwise :tongue:
This is what Blaine's hair should be like. Cut shorter so it can be blaine neat but not gelled.

Reply 6397
Original post by e hine e
This is what Blaine's hair should be like. Cut shorter so it can be blaine neat but not gelled.

I don't think I recognize that - is it from Glee? I agree, he looks great :love:

Original post by Ambs
I don't think I recognize that - is it from Glee? I agree, he looks great :love:

It's from that weird TV show he did that never took off. I can't remember its name :s-smilie: I've seen clips of it though. Hilarious for all the wrong reasons.
Original post by e hine e
It's from that weird TV show he did that never took off. I can't remember its name :s-smilie: I've seen clips of it though. Hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Eastwick.

How the **** do I know that??

As we were talking about Wicked earlier, I went on a youtube spree. I've seen this before and this is the cutest thing I've ever seen. The actors playing Elphaba and Fiyero are married in real life.

I must stop imagining Darren as Fiyero but I can't! It needs to happen, he'd be perfect for it!

Edit: I'm LMAOing so hard! I love Youtube. I'm watching the Sweeney Todd revival (which I sort of love and hate at the same time) and someone said:
'Dude, they're bursting into song like? it's the most natural thing in the world, and you're having trouble with the fact that there's no literal PIE? It's called suspension of disbelief, and it's part of going to the theatre.'

Not to mention, they're playing musical instruments!

LOOOL
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending