The Student Room Group

AQA English Lit AS 23rd May

I am screwed for this exam! Its no good me knowing the texts, when i don't even get form, structure, language!

What texts has everyone studied? I've studied, Kite Runner, Gatsy, Hardy, and Rime of the Ancient Mariner (ugh!!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Megannn94
I am screwed for this exam! Its no good me knowing the texts, when i don't even get form, structure, language!

What texts has everyone studied? I've studied, Kite Runner, Gatsy, Hardy, and Rime of the Ancient Mariner (ugh!!)

Ahhh me too, so worried! :s-smilie:

I've done Gatsby, Hardy, Browning and Enduring Love.
sup

i'm doing tennyson, rossetti, gatsby and the god of small things
small island, kite runner, browning and hardy.

I'm screwed too - this exam is a resit and i still have no idea what to write about. I mean, I know the texts really well - but my department is bloody awful and they haven't told anyone what we're supposed to write in the exam.
I'm definitely screwed for the contextual/wider reading bit of the exam, the teaching has been awful and unclear.
Original post by SunshineAndSmiles
Ahhh me too, so worried! :s-smilie:

I've done Gatsby, Hardy, Browning and Enduring Love.
YOOOO got any tips or notes on browing ,,, kinda lost my folder

Original post by georgeflynn
sup

i'm doing tennyson, rossetti, gatsby and the god of small things
hello their lol got any notes or tips on rossetti

Original post by foxes-are-ginger
small island, kite runner, browning and hardy.

I'm screwed too - this exam is a resit and i still have no idea what to write about. I mean, I know the texts really well - but my department is bloody awful and they haven't told anyone what we're supposed to write in the exam.
yooo, why hello their, any tips or notes in kite runner or browing?

Sorry dude but i lost my folder and feel like dying right now.
Original post by mclovin123

Sorry dude but i lost my folder and feel like dying right now.

HEY GUYS.
yes I have loads of notes on Kite Runner, what is it exactly you're looking for?
Same goes for browning. although i'm not very strong on browning..
HEY GUYS.
yes I have loads of notes on Kite Runner, what is it exactly you're looking for?
Same goes for browning. although i'm not very strong on browning..

I am so sorry to ask really. I lost my folder and have done minimul revision. All i need is a D grade and i just need any tips possible. If you coulde just write any bullet point you can think of. Sorry to ask but i am in a panic :frown:

EDIT, just incase you are wondering i left it in my brothers house a few days ago. I was planning on coming back and having a cram fest this weekend but its hard to with no notes lol. I had to rush so i would not miss my train and forgot the folder.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Gatsby, Tennyson, Enduring Love and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. I feel like I don't know the texts well enough!

There is a thread for this where you will probably get better help:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1607308
Reply 9
Original post by Megannn94

your not alone ...

im doing kiterunner as one of mine .... i didnt know what it was about until this morning... :/:colondollar:
Original post by mclovin123

rossetti - i'd do as a B question and talk about feminism in cousin kate and stuff and how the plain and simple structure parallels her life e.g. with the 6 stanzas all being 8 lines long you could be like she and the poem is almost trapped in a cycle like women
For wider reading we did 'Oranges are Not the Only Fruit' 'Blood Wedding' and lots of Simon Armitage poems. Although she made us do lots of independent study too, so in the end i'll probs end up doing 'The Remains of the Day', Top Girls' and 'Two Scavengers in a truck and two beautiful people in a mercedes'.

I'm not looking forward to the World's Wife part at all. I'm praying that something like 'Queen Herod' will come up and not 'Mrs Aesop' or some other rubbish :/

Not panicking too much though. It can't go as bad as maths went. But I was still hoping that the 'omg the world is ending today' guy was right so I got out of this exam lol :P
Original post by Bubbles99
your not alone ...

im doing kiterunner as one of mine .... i didnt know what it was about until this morning... :/:colondollar:

KITE RUNNER -

Told written as a single story told to us by narrator. Tells us from a point in time at the end of the story - with knowledge of how everything turns out. - by doing this Hosseini colours his narrative with knowledge of what is to come. This results in anumber of narrative techniques being used.
Told in first person narrative using, colloquial, informal speech --
Adult understanding and rationalising overlays the childhood events told in the first part of the novel.
Given two perceptions of events - the child's perception of the events and the adult reworked and misremembered adult memories.
Amir portrays himself as a conventional "bad guy" as his guilt tells him that this is how he should feel.
unreliable narration - can not necessarily trust the story we are being told or the interpretation the character of Amir puts on events - due to his personal emotions and guilt distracting the truth from the memories in certain events.

Story is told from chronological end point - Khaled Hosseni frequently foreshadows events which are yet to come.
Using this technique - the story teller undercuts certain events by revealing that they will not last - EG. at the end of chapter 5 it is revealed that "that was the winter that Hassan stopped smiling" this technique serves to make the reader read on - ALSO - at the end of the chapter 4 "I never got to finish that sentence. Because suddenly Afghanistan changed forever (pg. 30) (short sentences is also frequently used in these undercutting thingies)

PS. MORE TO COME.
PPS. I don't take credit for these notes - they're all taken from my York Notes study guide, which is fantastic and i'd definitely recommend
Reply 13
The Great Gatsby, Enduring Love, Keats and W.H. Auden.

I genuinely hate English Literature. It's so airy fairy...and I swear every single teacher's opinion is different and nothing is taught properly. Urgh.
KITE RUNNER -

Told written as a single story told to us by narrator. Tells us from a point in time at the end of the story - with knowledge of how everything turns out. - by doing this Hosseini colours his narrative with knowledge of what is to come. This results in anumber of narrative techniques being used.
Told in first person narrative using, colloquial, informal speech --
Adult understanding and rationalising overlays the childhood events told in the first part of the novel.
Given two perceptions of events - the child's perception of the events and the adult reworked and misremembered adult memories.
Amir portrays himself as a conventional "bad guy" as his guilt tells him that this is how he should feel.
unreliable narration - can not necessarily trust the story we are being told or the interpretation the character of Amir puts on events - due to his personal emotions and guilt distracting the truth from the memories in certain events.

Story is told from chronological end point - Khaled Hosseni frequently foreshadows events which are yet to come.
Using this technique - the story teller undercuts certain events by revealing that they will not last - EG. at the end of chapter 5 it is revealed that "that was the winter that Hassan stopped smiling" this technique serves to make the reader read on - ALSO - at the end of the chapter 4 "I never got to finish that sentence. Because suddenly Afghanistan changed forever (pg. 30) (short sentences is also frequently used in these undercutting thingies)

PS. MORE TO COME.
PPS. I don't take credit for these notes - they're all taken from my York Notes study guide, which is fantastic and i'd definitely recommend

you are incredible man you may just save my bacon lol
I did Kite Runner, Gatsby, Keats and Hardy last year and got 120/120 on my exam, so if anyone has any questions I'll try and remember what I wrote and help as best I can.
After the rape of Hassan both the structure and style of the writing change.
The chapters leading up to this event are told in a straightforward manner.
The stories unfold in a chronological order leading up to the rape, however - at the moment of the attack the narrative structure becomes fragmented and never fully resumes the linear structure of the earlier chapters.
As Amir witnesses the rape - his mind reflected through the narrative veers to other stories at other times - representing the desire to avoid dealing with what he is seeing.

- Can be seen as a fable
- can be seen as an allegory - amir's journey for redemption becomes an accomplishment to a description of the trials of the Afghan people; his search for reconcilliation can be seen as representative for their search for peace and self determination.

Language and style and stuff
Personal narration, informal, conversational style. Very similar to dialogue.
Development from childhood to adult hood - "he never told on me"
childlike simplicity in descriptions "they clapped for a long time. afterward, people took his hand"

at the time of the rape, language immediately becomes far more adult - This is reflected by "I was weeping" rather than crying, as we would expect.
"actually aspired to cowardice" adult notion and an adult way of expressing it.

Following sorab's suicide attempt - the narration enters the present tense - resulting in a more urgent and immediate voice. "they won't let me in. i see them wheel him through double doors and i follow him."

rahim khan's voice is more graceful and straightforward than amir's, reflecting his greater age and different temperment. "No one to greet, no one to sit down with for chai. no one to share stories with." - this repepetitive structure of his dialogue is more like poetry than prose.

Hassan is responsible for one of the key motifs of the novel "for you, a thousand times over!" pg. 59. - gives representation of his unquestioned loyalty - thus, when amir uses it at the end of the novel it gives the novel a rounded off finish or something.

chapter 19 - kabul has been reduced to "rubble and beggars" - trees have been cut down - relates to the early sybolism of the pomegranate tree which symbolised amir and hassan's friendship and such like.
Reply 17
Original post by StefanieLouise
I did Kite Runner, Gatsby, Keats and Hardy last year and got 120/120 on my exam, so if anyone has any questions I'll try and remember what I wrote and help as best I can.

Do you have general advice on how you structured your answers? I'm confident on my texts but any last minute tips about how to best ensure meeting the AO's would be brilliatnt :smile:
Reply 18

Please please please help me with Keats, I have no idea where to even start, I didn't get taught it properly :frown:

1. Don't understand the whole neo-classicism thing
2. How would you write about Keats in section A
3. How would you write about Keats in section B
Reply 19

Did you do any comparing of the texts in section B and does 'points of view' include the fact that Amir in 'The Kite Runner' is writing the story retrospectively.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending