The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Patriot
Who do you think? (cough profile pic, cough username)

Lol i did think so but wasn't sure and tom brady can not cope under playoff pressure
Original post by Nikhilkumar192
Lol i did think so but wasn't sure and tom brady can not cope under playoff pressure

Are you kidding me???

He's won three superbowls and four afc championship games. he has led two superbowl winning drives and one afc championship winning drive, all with only minutes left. he has 2 superbowl mvp awards. he has the most consecutive wins in the play-offs ever at 10. and he has an incredible play-off winning percentage.

he is quite possibly the most clutch QB ever. yes he has lost three in a row, but you can put that on bad play by the defense and bad planning.
Are you kidding me???

He's won three superbowls and four afc championship games. he has led two superbowl winning drives and one afc championship winning drive, all with only minutes left. he has 2 superbowl mvp awards. he has the most consecutive wins in the play-offs ever at 10. and he has an incredible play-off winning percentage.

he is quite possibly the most clutch QB ever. yes he has lost three in a row, but you can put that on bad play by the defense and bad planning.

what happened this year then?!
what happened this year then?!

The pass rush flopped, as per usual, the pass defense was ropey and didn't get any turnovers (as it had been relying on all year), rex ryan out coached belichick, our run stop (usually our best feature, was only so-so), we had no deep threat WR to combat new york's pass defense.

you can't blame Tom Brady for a team failure.
The pass rush flopped, as per usual, the pass defense was ropey and didn't get any turnovers (as it had been relying on all year), rex ryan out coached belichick, our run stop (usually our best feature, was only so-so), we had no deep threat WR to combat new york's pass defense.

you can't blame Tom Brady for a team failure.

That's understandable but as the team starts to fail, the qb stops trying if that makes sense? it's going to be a whole new ball game this year, I reckon SD chargers are going to get to the superbowl... not sure yet on the other team will have to watch the preseason games, you can always tell with them! are you going to join any fantasy teams?
That's understandable but as the team starts to fail, the qb stops trying if that makes sense? it's going to be a whole new ball game this year, I reckon SD chargers are going to get to the superbowl... not sure yet on the other team will have to watch the preseason games, you can always tell with them! are you going to join any fantasy teams?

I understand your point, but I don't think that applies with Brady (the same could be sad of Manning I suppose). They're leaders and competitors. They never stop plugging.

I think the Falcons, Patriots or Ravens have a really good shot of making the Superbowl. Green Bay, Chargers and Jets have a shot.

I join two fantasy teams each year, one on facebook and one on nfl.com.
I think Brady's past his best tbh. He's been without a doubt the best QB for a while and with his age and not winning a superbowl for some time, I think he's on a downhill slope from here. That's why the Pats got Mallett in I reckon.
Speaking of draft picks, all I've been doing for the past couple of weeks is looking at footage of the Packers picks. I need football maaaan :frown:
Original post by Scott129
I think Brady's past his best tbh. He's been without a doubt the best QB for a while and with his age and not winning a superbowl for some time, I think he's on a downhill slope from here. That's why the Pats got Mallett in I reckon.

Nope. Despite losing his most valuable weapon (randy moss), having a completely retooled offense, having a new coaching scheme, having a turbulent offensive line and coming back after a nasty season ending injury, and having a more run based offense, Brady just played what was statistically his best passing season ever.

The team has gotten a bit worse (which is incredible seeing as they still went 14-2, the leagues best record), but Brady has not. He was the first person EVER to be an unanimous choice for AP NFL MVP.

How in the world has he gotten worse? Our team has gotten worse, but our fall has been reduced because Brady's play has elevated to that of a level we have scarcely seen before.

The Patriots got Mallett because A) Belichick takes the best value pick. B) Belichick DOES NOT pick to replace needs, C) Brady will retire eventually, and D) We need a young replacement in case Brady gets injured - see 2008 where Matt Cassel took over, and 2001 where Brady replaced Bledsoe.

Speaking of draft picks, all I've been doing for the past couple of weeks is looking at footage of the Packers picks. I need football maaaan :frown:

Same (but Patriots). :frown:
Nope. Despite losing his most valuable weapon (randy moss), having a completely retooled offense, having a new coaching scheme, having a turbulent offensive line and coming back after a nasty season ending injury, and having a more run based offense, Brady just played what was statistically his best passing season ever.

The team has gotten a bit worse (which is incredible seeing as they still went 14-2, the leagues best record), but Brady has not. He was the first person EVER to be an unanimous choice for AP NFL MVP.

How in the world has he gotten worse? Our team has gotten worse, but our fall has been reduced because Brady's play has elevated to that of a level we have scarcely seen before.

The Patriots got Mallett because A) Belichick takes the best value pick. B) Belichick DOES NOT pick to replace needs, C) Brady will retire eventually, and D) We need a young replacement in case Brady gets injured - see 2008 where Matt Cassel took over, and 2001 where Brady replaced Bledsoe.

Same (but Patriots). :frown:

Yeah, I understand what you're saying and don't get me wrong, I think Tom Brady is the best QB in the league but if the Patriots carry on this run of play-off failure, he's not going to get better. I probably phrased it wrong saying he's getting worse, I probably should have said that he's peaked. To say that Tom Brady has peaked and the Pats still aren't winning the Superbowl is, quite frankly, incredible.
You kind of contradicted yourself there in explaining why they picked Mallett though. You said it was a BAP but that he's going to replace Brady when he retires. A pure BAP is what the Packers did, picking 2 TEs when you already have 3 just because they're great footballers with no intention of 1 replacing another at any given time.
I would argue that Moss was never Brady's most valuable weapon - that would be Wes Welker. Moss got the highlight reel plays but Welker is ALWAYS open and picks up a consistent 10-15 yards a play, generally on 3rd down as well. Without Welker, Brady would get a lot more coverage sacks and wouldn't look half as good as he does.

The fact that the Pats offense didn't even skip a beat when Moss left shows both how adaptable a QB Brady is and how much of a non-factor Moss is in the offense.
Yeah, I understand what you're saying and don't get me wrong, I think Tom Brady is the best QB in the league but if the Patriots carry on this run of play-off failure, he's not going to get better. I probably phrased it wrong saying he's getting worse, I probably should have said that he's peaked. To say that Tom Brady has peaked and the Pats still aren't winning the Superbowl is, quite frankly, incredible.
You kind of contradicted yourself there in explaining why they picked Mallett though. You said it was a BAP but that he's going to replace Brady when he retires. A pure BAP is what the Packers did, picking 2 TEs when you already have 3 just because they're great footballers with no intention of 1 replacing another at any given time.

He was picked for both reasons. Mainly because he was good value. Belichick also realises that Brady needs another back-up. However that is only a small part of the reason.
Original post by Hedgeman49
I would argue that Moss was never Brady's most valuable weapon - that would be Wes Welker. Moss got the highlight reel plays but Welker is ALWAYS open and picks up a consistent 10-15 yards a play, generally on 3rd down as well. Without Welker, Brady would get a lot more coverage sacks and wouldn't look half as good as he does.

The fact that the Pats offense didn't even skip a beat when Moss left shows both how adaptable a QB Brady is and how much of a non-factor Moss is in the offense.

23 TDs in a single season and he's a non-factor?

Moss was more dangerous than Welker. Don't get me wrong, Welker is invaluable and Brady's go to guy. Over 100 catches regularly.

Moss however was the person that made that 2007 offense great. Brady could've replaced welker because there are many (if not quite as good) slot receivers that could have done that role. You couldn't replace Moss that year because he was simply unplayable.
Is there somewhere really good online to watch matches :ninja:

I plan to play next year so want to watch more to make sure I know what I am doing.
23 TDs in a single season and he's a non-factor?

Moss was more dangerous than Welker. Don't get me wrong, Welker is invaluable and Brady's go to guy. Over 100 catches regularly.

Moss however was the person that made that 2007 offense great. Brady could've replaced welker because there are many (if not quite as good) slot receivers that could have done that role. You couldn't replace Moss that year because he was simply unplayable.

Yeah but that was over 3 years ago... that's like saying that Joe Montana is the best player for the 49ers now. He's essentially a different player now, he's lost some of that ridiculous speed that was the tool he used to take the top off the defense, so now he's just a tall receiver with a poor attitude. If he was that valuable, he wouldn't have been pinballed around the league.

Welker remains in a league of his own now, I can't name a single receiver I'd rather have in the slot.
Original post by paddy__power
Is there somewhere really good online to watch matches :ninja:

I plan to play next year so want to watch more to make sure I know what I am doing.

coughmyp2p.eucough
Original post by Hedgeman49
Yeah but that was over 3 years ago... that's like saying that Joe Montana is the best player for the 49ers now. He's essentially a different player now, he's lost some of that ridiculous speed that was the tool he used to take the top off the defense, so now he's just a tall receiver with a poor attitude. If he was that valuable, he wouldn't have been pinballed around the league.

Welker remains in a league of his own now, I can't name a single receiver I'd rather have in the slot.

You said he was "never Brady's most valuable weapon".

Obviously he's not now, but he was.

As of right now, I'm happy with Welker in the slot. Very happy indeed.
coughmyp2p.eucough

I hoped there would be something like iplayer. For this I need to work out when games will be on - night times presumably.
Original post by paddy__power
I hoped there would be something like iplayer. For this I need to work out when games will be on - night times presumably.

yep.

theres that site, a few others, or channel 4 on a sunday.

all night time I'm afraid.

Highlights are up the next day on nfl.com though
yep.

theres that site, a few others, or channel 4 on a sunday.

all night time I'm afraid.

Highlights are up the next day on nfl.com though

Oh ok. I am currently watching something called Diehl or no Diehl. :dontknow:
You said he was "never Brady's most valuable weapon".

Obviously he's not now, but he was.

As of right now, I'm happy with Welker in the slot. Very happy indeed.

I'd still argue that without Welker underneath and making the safeties think twice, Moss wouldn't have been as successful. 23 TDs is very impressive, but the whole offense was on crack that year... Welker had 112 catches for 1175 yards and 8 TDs too.