The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Original post by Phalanges
:lolwut: Tarantino's scene lasts no more than a couple of minutes.

Exactly! :wink:
Original post by Evil_Ed

Original post by Evil_Ed
Exactly! :wink:

I'm really not getting your point. It's a tiny segment done as a joke agreement between friends that nobody would probably even notice if it wasn't pointed out to them.
Reply 1882
I am never watching Mulholland Drive while on acid again. ****ing terrifying.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1883
I'm really not getting your point. It's a tiny segment done as a joke agreement between friends that nobody would probably even notice if it wasn't pointed out to them.

I think the fact that it was done for that reason (in return for Rodriguez contributing to the Kill Bill soundtrack) is the problem. It just feels protracted and out of place, and ultimately not a great moment in the film.

I don't hate Sin City. In fact, there's a lot I admire about it. I like Rodriguez on the whole, however, the less said about the 'other' director's film, the better.
Reply 1884
I rewatched 500 Days of Summer with my family last night. I spotted several things I hadn't the first time round, so it was very enjoyable; some parts had more effect on me the second time I watched them.
Reply 1885
The teaser trailers for We Need To Talk About Kevin look promising, I can't wait. I just hope they haven't changed too much of it and have kept it as messed up as the novel.
Favourite film ever? Mine has to be 'The Room'. From the script, to the raw emotion that the actors manage to convey, it truly is an acting masterclass. Here are some of the most powerful scenes.

Reply 1887
Just posted my first film blog entry, it's a bit of a mini introduction to me and my taste in films. Take a peek if you've got two minutes and let me know what you think! :h:

http://nospeechprepared.tumblr.com/
Original post by Evil_Ed

Original post by Evil_Ed
I think the fact that it was done for that reason (in return for Rodriguez contributing to the Kill Bill soundtrack) is the problem. It just feels protracted and out of place, and ultimately not a great moment in the film.

I don't hate Sin City. In fact, there's a lot I admire about it. I like Rodriguez on the whole, however, the less said about the 'other' director's film, the better.

I think it was more a way of Rodriguez firmly giving the DGA the middle finger as well as Kill Bill, to be honest. As for it being out of place, I maintain that if you weren't told few people would realise it was even shot by a different director.
Reply 1889
I think it was more a way of Rodriguez firmly giving the DGA the middle finger as well as Kill Bill, to be honest. As for it being out of place, I maintain that if you weren't told few people would realise it was even shot by a different director.

Yeah, I think you're right about the DGA. Didn't he resign from it over the Miller credit?

I just don't like the Tarantino scene even though it may fit stylistically. It just feels overlong and perhaps, because of its status, Rodriguez may have felt it was untouchable in the editing room.

The Rodriguez reference in Scream 4 amused me. :smile:
Reply 1890
Original post by aja89
Just posted my first film blog entry, it's a bit of a mini introduction to me and my taste in films. Take a peek if you've got two minutes and let me know what you think! :h:

http://nospeechprepared.tumblr.com/

It's an entertaining first post. :smile: Do you plan to do reviews of individual movies, or is it going to be mostly unstructured discussions?
Reply 1891
Original post by Abiraleft
It's an entertaining first post. :smile: Do you plan to do reviews of individual movies, or is it going to be mostly unstructured discussions?

Thanks! :h:

It's going to be a bit of everything, reviews, general rambles, maybe some Top 5's and things like that.
Caught some of De Ja vu yesterday, quite like watching Denzel Washington... in just about any role, especially more comedic ones
I just watched thelma & louise

thelma is hot
Just watched Little Children. I thought it was really good, and dealt with some fairly difficult subject matter very well. There were so many different stories going on though, and all together each story didn't really get much airtime - they could have easily made 2 or 3 different films out of the stories here! But overall I think it worked and I really enjoyed it - great acting too. Oh and Patrick Wilson... :sexface:
Has anyone seen the Bad Lieutenant remake? It is a combination of hilarity (Nicholas Cages' deep south accent which comes & goes throughout sounds more like a speech impediment) and devastation (really intense action, pace never slows).
Anybody seen Attack the Block? Worth watching?

Original post by ArtGoblin
Your Highness was one of the worst films I have seen at the cinema in years. Possibly ever. I went to the cinema with my friends expecting to see Source Code but they changed their minds and wanted to see Your Highness instead. :angry: I knew there was a reason why I prefer going to the cinema on my own.

Your friends are mad. Did they like it?

I think every single joke in the film was something you'd find funny if you were 13.

Original post by Abiraleft
I rewatched 500 Days of Summer with my family last night. I spotted several things I hadn't the first time round, so it was very enjoyable; some parts had more effect on me the second time I watched them.

It's a shame there aren't many more films like 500 Days of Summer and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Stuck with the cliched films with Diaz where the man hates the woman and they begin to fall in love. :emo:

Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon
Favourite film ever? Mine has to be 'The Room'. From the script, to the raw emotion that the actors manage to convey, it truly is an acting masterclass. Here are some of the most powerful scenes.

]

Cracks me up every time. :rofl:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane

Cracks me up every time. :rofl:

:rofl:

You might appreciate this, it made me laugh. :colondollar:
Reply 1898
The Tree of Life picks up the Palme d'Or, while Kirsten Dunst wins Best Actress. A summary of the awards can be found here.

I don't think it's been mentioned here already: Lars von Trier :facepalm2:
Hello!

Can't wait for Hangover 2 to come out ... planning to go watch it on the day it comes out, but last time that was planned the cinema was full! :indiff:

Is it out in US etc yet? Are there any reviews?

Quick Reply

Latest