The Student Room Group

Group for those who do OCR A2 Philosophy & Ethics [Post Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

From what I can see, the past philosophy questions have been:

Spoiler

Out of the following topics:

Spoiler

They have yet to ask us on God's omnipotence, soul/mind/body so I think at least one of those two will come up.
I also think as they did miracles in jan 11, religious experiences will come up.
And some form of religious language. Either comparing one against the other or critically analysing one type.

So predictions:
God's Nature: Omnipotence
Religious Experience
Religious Language
Souls

Any thoughts??

I'll do an ethics one later.
Original post by purplefrog
From what I can see, the past philosophy questions have been:

Spoiler

Out of the following topics:

Spoiler

They have yet to ask us on God's omnipotence, soul/mind/body so I think at least one of those two will come up.
I also think as they did miracles in jan 11, religious experiences will come up.
And some form of religious language. Either comparing one against the other or critically analysing one type.

So predictions:
God's Nature: Omnipotence
Religious Experience
Religious Language
Souls

Any thoughts??

I'll do an ethics one later.

I'd love for those topics to come up!
For Ethics:

They have asked:

Spoiler

And they can ask us on:

Spoiler

Sexual ethics always seems to come up. And then they alternate between business/environment each year. Meta ethics hasn't come up since the first paper, so that looks very likely too and virtue ethics seems to be rare too...
For the final one, I'd say its between consicence/free will - seeing as they're both huge topics and came up in the last paper.

Prediction:
Sexual Ethics
Evironmental Ethics
Virtue Ethics/Meta Ethics
Free Will/Conscience

Basically revise everything :tongue: :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
For Ethics:

They have asked:

Spoiler

And they can ask us on:

Spoiler

Sexual ethics always seems to come up. And then they alternate between business/environment each year. Meta ethics hasn't come up since the first paper, so that looks very likely too and virtue ethics seems to be rare too...
For the final one, I'd say its between consicence/free will - seeing as they're both huge topics and came up in the last paper.

Prediction:
Sexual Ethics
Evironmental Ethics
Virtue Ethics/Meta Ethics
Free Will/Conscience

Basically revise everything :tongue: :rolleyes:

Virtue ethics & meta-ethics have only come up once inc. speicimen paper - my bets are on them.

For philosophy, miracles only once.
Can someone explain Boethius' idea of God being timeless please? I am so confused right now!
Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp
Can someone explain Boethius' idea of God being timeless please? I am so confused right now!

Timelessness = Eternal. God is outside and independent of time. Thus experiences and sees all of reality at once. Our past/present/future is simultaneous to God. Aquinas used an analogy of travellers on a road - to the people on the road, they can only see things in a linear perspective - whereas God is above, from a vantage point, and thus can see everything and everyone.

Very brief description there, but does that help?
Timelessness = Eternal. God is outside and independent of time. Thus experiences and sees all of reality at once. Our past/present/future is simultaneous to God. Aquinas used an analogy of travellers on a road - to the people on the road, they can only see things in a linear perspective - whereas God is above, from a vantage point, and thus can see everything and everyone.

Very brief description there, but does that help?

Thanks! I understood before that God sees everything simultaneously, so with a film he'd see the opening credits, middle and closing credits all at the same time.

What I don't understand is how that allows humans to have free-will :s-smilie:
I'm thinking of making revision lists for each of the topics for what we must know for Philosophy and Ethics. I'll constantly add to these for my ones but here is something to start off. Would be great if everybody contributed to these:

Philosophy:

Spoiler

Ethics:

Spoiler

Thanks! I understood before that God sees everything simultaneously, so with a film he'd see the opening credits, middle and closing credits all at the same time.

What I don't understand is how that allows humans to have free-will :s-smilie:

Its a non-causal relationship. just because god knows what's going to happen, it doesn't mean we didn't choose it to be so. He just as foreknowledge. So when we do something, we freely choose to do it, but God knows that would be the outcome.
Its a non-causal relationship. just because god knows what's going to happen, it doesn't mean we didn't choose it to be so. He just as foreknowledge. So when we do something, we freely choose to do it, but God knows that would be the outcome.

Ohh thanks! That makes sense! So God knows the future, but he sees us make that choice with his foreknowledge. As a result, he didn't cause it to happen, he just sees what happens.

Thanks once again :smile:
I found these two tables online which are really useful. They tell you all the past exam questions for Philosophy and Ethics, so they'll be particularly interesting if you're wondering what might come up this year:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
I found these two tables online which are really useful. They tell you all the past exam questions for Philosophy and Ethics, so they'll be particularly interesting if you're wondering what might come up this year:

This is SO helpful!!!! Thanks so much - giving you rep!
Original post by Been_22
This is SO helpful!!!! Thanks so much - giving you rep!

Glad it helped :smile:

I reckon Meta-Ethics is coming up this year - woooop!
Reply 53
Hi guyss . i need some help . im doing OCR , and have a p&e exam this thursday . im a little confuesed on the strenghts and weaknesses of utilatarinisum , any ideas

thankss a lot

and good luck for many upcoming exams

xxx
Original post by Riya24
x

try here
Reply 55
thankyou . thats simple and it really helped . uhm i was wondering . lets say for example a question asked
explain strenghts of utiliatariunism ?
25 marks
would i still be able to contradict this question and put it weaknesses of it too . thanks . how would i get a solid high band mark .

xxx

much appreciated
Original post by Wanttobeasucess

Original post by Wanttobeasucess
My teacher is so rubbish, she never turns up and hasn't taught us half the topic SO
do you think it will be okay to miss out Meta Ethics and Conscience in Ethics ?!
Seeing as we only need to answer 2 questions out of 4!
Basicly, is there any chance that 2 meta ethics questions will come up? or 2 conscience questions???

My teacher is exactly the same, We are missing out meta ethics as it is so different but i would ensure you look at the conscience, Newman Freud, Butler and Aquinas are my main focus points for that topic. Piaget and Kohlberg are taking a back seat but still in the car (if you get my drift)
Original post by Zombear
Some checklists of everything you need to know for both of the exams. :smile:

Is this any different from the specification?
Glad it helped :smile:

I reckon Meta-Ethics is coming up this year - woooop!

ME TOO ! sorry that was just a little too enthusiastic :tongue: but i really do hope this comes up ! it's only been up once out of the three times and that was on the very first paper (january 2010) so i'm pretty confident it will come up ! going to make sure i know it really well, hope your revision's going well too :smile: x
Reply 59
Original post by Noodlzzz

Original post by Noodlzzz
What does sacred writing come under - religious language?

no there seperate topics xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending