The Student Room Group

The 5th and 6th Year Choices Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Darrenh800
I wanted some advice on the subjects which I should take next year to help me get into the Uni courses which I want to attend. The places I want to study are either Glasgow or Edinburgh but I don't think my grades are good enough so my next port of call would be Strathclyde or Stirling. I want to go into an arts course on either History or Psychology but haven't decided on which one yet.

Just now I'm estimated 3 A's at Higher in Drama, History and Computing as well as a C in maths and an A in Int2 English. I'll obviously take English next year but I wondering if anyone could advise on the best subjects to take to get into by selected Uni's or if it's actually too far gone now and my results - no matter what I do in sixth year - wouldn't change that.

(I apologise in advance for the essay of text here but maybe it'll help you)

If you get your 3 A's at higher, Glasgow will give you serious consideration for an unconditional. Last year, if you applied with 4 A's you would receive an immediate unconditional offer.

Edinburgh is a tricky one, do you come from a state school? Are you from a deprived location? Are you from Edinburgh, Scotland or Northern England? Are you the first person in your family to be applying for university? Are your grades above average for the rest of your year? Does your school send very few people to university? If ANY of these apply, your chances of an offer increase (I believe there is some kind of points scheme, the more of these that apply to you then the more points you get).

Don't put yourself down, your predicted grades are good. I'd personally take some more highers in 6th year rather than AH's (other than history) and try to write a good PS and get a great reference.

If you've got any more specific Q's, give me a PM or I'll probably not notice them.If it's any help to you, I applied for History at both Glasgow and Edinburgh with 4 A's at higher. I received two unconditionals :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Darrenh800
I wanted some advice on the subjects which I should take next year to help me get into the Uni courses which I want to attend. The places I want to study are either Glasgow or Edinburgh but I don't think my grades are good enough so my next port of call would be Strathclyde or Stirling. I want to go into an arts course on either History or Psychology but haven't decided on which one yet.

Just now I'm estimated 3 A's at Higher in Drama, History and Computing as well as a C in maths and an A in Int2 English. I'll obviously take English next year but I wondering if anyone could advise on the best subjects to take to get into by selected Uni's or if it's actually too far gone now and my results - no matter what I do in sixth year - wouldn't change that.

If you have the option, this is what I would advise you to pick for S6:
English
Another arty/writey subject (probably Modern studies)
A language (particularly for Edinburgh, but it's an advantage to have a language anywhere)
If you decide to apply for History do AH History if your school offers it.
If you decide to apply for Psychology do H Psychology if your school offers it.

EDIT: On second thoughts, if you apply for Psychology change the language to a science.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by Vitamin D
Don't worry! :smile: Plenty of people improve after their prelim - especially in Maths, I've found. Just put a bit more work in and practice a lot and I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:

You were right! Now that I've done the exam, I think I may have gotten an A! :biggrin:
Hi

I've picked AH Biology, AH Geography, Higher Music and Higher Philosophy. I really don't want to do Philosophy anymore and I really don't know what to do instead D: This year I did, Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology and Geography. Any suggestions?
About to go into fifth year :smile: picked English, Media Studies, German, Information Systems and Psychology, all higher.
Reply 125
Original post by escapingthefate
Hi

I've picked AH Biology, AH Geography, Higher Music and Higher Philosophy. I really don't want to do Philosophy anymore and I really don't know what to do instead D: This year I did, Maths, English, Chemistry, Biology and Geography. Any suggestions?

What are your available options? What do you want to do in the future?
Original post by Delaney
What are your available options? What do you want to do in the future?

Well, the problem is they've had to move everything around because biology clashes with so many other subjects that no ones sure which column subjects are in anymore.

However, I've been considering doing Int 2 Spanish (I crashed it for standard grade, I got a 1 but I don't feel I'd be capable of higher, especially after a year out) and possibly higher Accounting and Finance. There are other possibilities such as French (did that for 6 years and got a 1, however again, a year out might not fare well for higher), Drama and Health and Food Technology. I really don't like the range of subjects at my school at all.

My other problem is I still really don't know what I want to do when I leave school, that's the main reason I've been doing a broad range of subjects.
Reply 127
Well, the problem is they've had to move everything around because biology clashes with so many other subjects that no ones sure which column subjects are in anymore.

However, I've been considering doing Int 2 Spanish (I crashed it for standard grade, I got a 1 but I don't feel I'd be capable of higher, especially after a year out) and possibly higher Accounting and Finance. There are other possibilities such as French (did that for 6 years and got a 1, however again, a year out might not fare well for higher), Drama and Health and Food Technology. I really don't like the range of subjects at my school at all.

My other problem is I still really don't know what I want to do when I leave school, that's the main reason I've been doing a broad range of subjects.

Escape the Fate are awesome. :horns:
Reply 128

Well a business related subject or a foreign language are always good things to have, they can be applicable to a lot of careers and university courses. What are your predicted grades for this year?

Quick edit: I'm not saying that the other subjects aren't suitable btw, I'm just saying that I don't know what your interests are and you don't really know what to do so I suggested the most flexible subjects out of your choice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Has anyone here done Higher Latin? Or Adv German?
Reply 130
I've chosen to do:

AH English
AH Gaelic
AH Music
and crashing Higher Psychology.

Then if I fail Chem/Maths I will resit :frown: (although I SHOULD hopefully pass both)
Original post by OddThings
Has anyone here done Higher Latin? Or Adv German?

No.
Original post by youjustburnkid
About to go into fifth year :smile: picked English, Media Studies, German, Information Systems and Psychology, all higher.

Higher German is amazing. :biggrin: You won't regret it.
Original post by NaturalDisaster
Higher German is amazing. :biggrin: You won't regret it.

Really? Ha. All my mates think I'm crazy, but I want a language :biggrin:
Really? Ha. All my mates think I'm crazy, but I want a language :biggrin:

No, it's amazing. Most of my friends thought I was nuts as well, but it was one of my favourite subjects this year, I'm gutted that I had to give it up for 6th year, but such is life. There was only 10 people in my class so there was a great dynamic and it was so much fun. Plus, revising for German had to be the most fun out of all my subjects. If you watch loads of German films the night before the exam (and the morning before, if your exam is in the afternoon like mine was) and then you're pretty much set for listening. Stay on top of the vocab though.
Original post by NaturalDisaster
No, it's amazing. Most of my friends thought I was nuts as well, but it was one of my favourite subjects this year, I'm gutted that I had to give it up for 6th year, but such is life. There was only 10 people in my class so there was a great dynamic and it was so much fun. Plus, revising for German had to be the most fun out of all my subjects. If you watch loads of German films the night before the exam (and the morning before, if your exam is in the afternoon like mine was) and then you're pretty much set for listening. Stay on top of the vocab though.

Ah :smile: apparently there's only gonna be six people in my class this year, which I think will be good! Love how revising for German means you get to watch films! haa :cool:
Ah :smile: apparently there's only gonna be six people in my class this year, which I think will be good! Love how revising for German means you get to watch films! haa :cool:

It'll be good, I promise. And yeah, I watched so many films the other day in preparation for it. I was like "Life of Brian, Meaning of Life, Aristocats, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix..." watching films in German increases the entertainment value by about twenty times. Think I'll keep up the habit, even if I'm not taking it this year. :biggrin:
Reply 137
Original post by Lewis_Mac
I've chosen to do:

AH English
AH Gaelic
AH Music

Then if I fail Chem/Maths I will resit :frown: (although I SHOULD hopefully pass both)

Is it Gaelic Learners you're doing? I did AH Gaelic this year :smile: was the only one in my class so it was pretty boring... but it's a good course if you liked Higher. I also crashed Higher Psychology, love it but i did it open learning and found it hard to motivate myself to actually work haha
Reply 138
Original post by Lewis_Mac
I've chosen to do:

AH English
AH Gaelic
AH Music

Gaidhlig fileanta neo Gaidhlig airson luchd-ionnsachaidh?

Rinn mise AH Gaidhlig am bliadhna: torr obair, 's feumaidh tu bhi direach spot on le grammar. Tha an exam agam Diarsdaoin - tri uairean of hell!
Reply 139
I've chosen to do (in my fifth year) :

H Maths
H English
H Physics
H Chemistry
H RMPS.

I'd like to do forensics or pharmacology / pharmacy at university... but I'll probably have changed my mind by this time next week! At first I wasn't really too sure about taking H RMPS as I'm not too sure if universities take any interest in it. But I did well in SG Religious Studies, so here's hoping that next year is alright!

I would love to crash H History in sixth year. Has any had any experience of this?

Quick Reply

Latest