The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Swell
Finished my induction weekend yesterday, the place is bloody brilliant! I mean obviously I rather not be working but the whole staff and place are brilliant.

They gave me some boots yesterday, steel toe capped ones, is that insisting that I need to wear them all the time or just for certain times? I'm doing Code Controlling?

I'm jealous! They have given you uniform items without you begging for them lol?! Even near begging for uniform items didn't do me any good lol.
Reply 8561
Original post by affinity89
I'm jealous! They have given you uniform items without you begging for them lol?! Even near begging for uniform items didn't do me any good lol.

Haha :biggrin:, well to be fair I guess I was pretty lucky then, the other guy on the introduction course was struggling to get any of his Counter Uniform.

It was just as were clocking out the Trainee woman told me to go and pick up my boots, didn't even get chance to ask her what they're for. Anyway i'll probably just take them down and put them in my locker, just to be on the safe side...
Original post by Schumacher
Turns out I did get a bouns, of £48 but I was taxed by £57 hence why I got less.

Why am I getting taxed all of a sudden when I wasn't a few months ago? I earn under £300 a month. Looking at my payslip here I have something like £350 due to me in a tax rebate. I keep getting told different ways of how to claim this back so could somebody help me once and for all please?

It says under year to date taxable pay £689.55 then this period £348.76, am I due the first figure or the second?

It's annoying because when your car insurance is £150 a month and you earn under £300..I'm working for £150 a month. I can't live off that so I need this tax money to have something in the bank.

Help!

Oh my god, I'm in the exact same position as you. I got a bonus of about £48 but got taxed like 86 or something like that. I thought maybe it's cos it's the start of the new year or something?! I'm just going to HR to ask about it, cos I don't think the amount i'm earning qualifies to be taxed at all!
Original post by shooting.star
Oh my god, I'm in the exact same position as you. I got a bonus of about £48 but got taxed like 86 or something like that. I thought maybe it's cos it's the start of the new year or something?! I'm just going to HR to ask about it, cos I don't think the amount i'm earning qualifies to be taxed at all!

It's annoying isn't it? There's no clarity on the bonus stuff at all. They bang on about MCM etc but don't actually make it clear how much you get in a bonus or if you qualify for it.
It's annoying isn't it? There's no clarity on the bonus stuff at all. They bang on about MCM etc but don't actually make it clear how much you get in a bonus or if you qualify for it.

Yeah exactly. They sort of give the impression that everyone is gonna get it and they make it sound like it's gonna be so much. I mean, I wonder if they think people won't work as hard if they know they are not gonna get the bonus or something? (or maybe i'm being too cynical!)
Reply 8565

Well I think you get 1% for meeting sales, 1% for MAC and 1% for MCM. MCM target is 80% average over the year, but it's divided into quarters, so if you get lower than 80% in one quarter you get 0.75% instead. I don't know how the other two are calculated but I imagine it's something along the same lines. But with everywhere being short staffed, you can't meet the first two, and no one cares about MCM because it only need one person to ruin it for everyone in the store (and it makes the service far less personal).
Two of the managers in my store didnt get a bonus supposidly because our main manager refused them.
Reply 8567
Got 2% bonus at my store, which is good, apart from the fact my tax & ni was £324... but my bonus was £308... sucks tbh!!
I'd much rather Sainsburys vouchers as an incentive, at least they cant tax those!
How many shifts do you do a week? :smile:
I feel like I handed my notice in a life time ago. But, I am sure I calculated the four week notice period correctly. :/

2 :tongue:
Original post by inksplodge
2 :tongue:

That's cool. I only do 2 shifts a week as well. Got four left before the end of the notice period.
That's cool. I only do 2 shifts a week as well. Got four left before the end of the notice period.

oh :confused: well i started my notice week the week i gave it. i did it by shifts so 4 weeks notice = 8 shifts rather than actual weeks :P
Original post by inksplodge
oh :confused: well i started my notice week the week i gave it. i did it by shifts so 4 weeks notice = 8 shifts rather than actual weeks :P

Fair enough. I didn't count the day I handed my notice in, rather 8 shifts from then. :smile:

What are you doing with your uniform? Locker key etc?
I included that in my letter - asking about them - but I haven't seen my manager since.
Fair enough. I didn't count the day I handed my notice in, rather 8 shifts from then. :smile:

What are you doing with your uniform? Locker key etc?
I included that in my letter - asking about them - but I haven't seen my manager since.

havent got a locker key so doesnt matter haa, i think you have to hand it all back but not sure when
Reply 8573
You hand it all back a reasonable time after your last shift (or take a change of clothes if you'd rather not go back).
Original post by FXX
You hand it all back a reasonable time after your last shift (or take a change of clothes if you'd rather not go back).

Thanks.

As it is over an hour away, costing me £4.30 a time, I think I'll hand it back there and then. HR are not in when I finish, so should I just bag it up and leave it in HR with a note? :smile:
Reply 8575
Thanks.

As it is over an hour away, costing me £4.30 a time, I think I'll hand it back there and then. HR are not in when I finish, so should I just bag it up and leave it in HR with a note? :smile:

The night shift at our place bag it up in a clear plastic bag and dump it in the training room, but yeah leave a note as well :tongue:
Original post by FXX
The night shift at our place bag it up in a clear plastic bag and dump it in the training room, but yeah leave a note as well :tongue:

Thank you. :smile:
Is anybody here a Warehouse Assistant? What do they do?
Original post by kittycake

Assist the warehouse.
Original post by kittycake

i think its basically pulling wagons, moving pallets, making sure its tidy, doing the baler + extraction etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending