The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yo dudes. I got in for medicine this year, startin Glasgow in September but got some things I learnt on the way. Make sure you actually look into what the universities want from applicants before you apply, if you have a strong UKCAT apply to UKCAT places, it will almost guarantee you an Interview. Glasgow seems to love the UKCAT so if you get above say 700 you'll definitely get an interview.

Warning for applicants for Edinburgh, they are pretty anal about GCSES. I applied with 4 A* and two As at A level predictions, but only 6A*s 3As and a B for GCSEs. I got an email back after my rejection saying sorry but your academics weren't good enough. They give equal points to a levels as gcses, which I dont think is a fair system, but there you go. I still got offers elsewhere haha.

Good luck to you all!
Reply 3001
Booked my UKCAT - 20th July! * fingers-crossed*
Reply 3002
Original post by Ergo
Booked my UKCAT - 20th July! * fingers-crossed*

I have a list of ukcat and other useful psychometric test books (some of which your main local library might have) and a list of the websites I used. A lot of it is on here already but I'll post it if it will be useful.
Reply 3003
Original post by chemistrygod2315
yo dudes. I got in for medicine this year, startin Glasgow in September but got some things I learnt on the way. Make sure you actually look into what the universities want from applicants before you apply, if you have a strong UKCAT apply to UKCAT places, it will almost guarantee you an Interview. Glasgow seems to love the UKCAT so if you get above say 700 you'll definitely get an interview.

Warning for applicants for Edinburgh, they are pretty anal about GCSES. I applied with 4 A* and two As at A level predictions, but only 6A*s 3As and a B for GCSEs. I got an email back after my rejection saying sorry but your academics weren't good enough. They give equal points to a levels as gcses, which I dont think is a fair system, but there you go. I still got offers elsewhere haha.

Good luck to you all!

PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS. I watched last year and this year as really committed people got no offers just because they hadn't noticed UKCAT cut-offs or GCSE requirements or. you can check in the current forums for each uni/ last years forum too- some uni websites give a minimum requirement but then have upped it a little so err on the side of caution (think Cardiff and Birm did that this year at least).
ace your ukcat and it will make it much easier for you.( possible with enough practise unless you're an uber-genius and ace it anyway-I'm not)
Reply 3004
Original post by conorcd
I have a list of ukcat and other useful psychometric test books (some of which your main local library might have) and a list of the websites I used. A lot of it is on here already but I'll post it if it will be useful.

Do post this list please, I'm sure it'll be useful to us applicants :smile:
Reply 3005
I've wanted to do medicine for a while - but I'm starting to worry that I'm not going to get good enough results.
I not convinced that I've managed an A in both English and Maths highers - might have just scraped them - for Maths it will depend on the grade boundaries. The rest of my subjects will hopefully be okay.

So now I'm going to wait and see what I get in August and then if it's enough I will book my UKCAT then. Do you think this is still okay - will I still get in to do it in time?

My first choice would be Edinburgh, so I can live at home, then Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee.
Original post by kred
I've wanted to do medicine for a while - but I'm starting to worry that I'm not going to get good enough results.
I not convinced that I've managed an A in both English and Maths highers - might have just scraped them - for Maths it will depend on the grade boundaries. The rest of my subjects will hopefully be okay.

So now I'm going to wait and see what I get in August and then if it's enough I will book my UKCAT then. Do you think this is still okay - will I still get in to do it in time?

My first choice would be Edinburgh, so I can live at home, then Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dundee.

I didn't book my UKCAT till after results day :smile: I did have to pay £75 as opposed to £60 for sitting it later on but there was still enough time. I think it is the most sensible thing to do, no point in wasting money until you know that you actually have the grades to apply :rolleyes:
Reply 3007
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I didn't book my UKCAT till after results day :smile: I did have to pay £75 as opposed to £60 for sitting it later on but there was still enough time. I think it is the most sensible thing to do, no point in wasting money until you know that you actually have the grades to apply :rolleyes:

Yeah - that's what I was thinking, thanks :smile:
Reply 3008
Original post by kred
Yeah - that's what I was thinking, thanks :smile:

last year I was waiting for re-marks so didn't book til mid-Sept and there were still lots of gaps but you could always check if you only live near one centre that does it. you can check availability without booking. If you're on EMA, free dinners etc you don't have to pay at all-you just send them proof and they send you a code.
Original post by Andrew Mooney
Ah, so I'm not the only one. How did your UKCAT go? How long did you spend revising before your UKCAT?

Well I got 632.5 average which is above the average 600 the book claims but it wasn't great - think it was one of the biggest things that lost me place this year. Erm last year only a week or two, tops three. At that point I didn't realise the importance of it at that point... although I do now! So going to revise this time for it! I'm in Namibia for three weeks and we've been advised to take a book... mine will be 600Q book lol
Reply 3010
Helloooo!
Just popped in here as i'm ready to start my application. Just finished my degree in public relations (I know!), been revising hard for my UKCATS, and of course getting all the work experience i can. Looking at this forum is rather intimidating but i'm raring to go and looking forward to the journey!
Original post by Laylora
Helloooo!
Just popped in here as i'm ready to start my application. Just finished my degree in public relations (I know!), been revising hard for my UKCATS, and of course getting all the work experience i can. Looking at this forum is rather intimidating but i'm raring to go and looking forward to the journey!

You needn't feel intimidated :smile:

Applicants tend to be nice, they haven't yet turned cynical :biggrin:
Reply 3012
Aha :biggrin:
I just meant with all the super clever people who have better grades than me :wink:
For medicine, do individual module marks matter at A2/AS? Or is just getting an A sufficient regardless of how high/low the A is?
I heard cambridge do look at the individual mark (80/100, 90/100) etc ... do any other unis do this too?
what sort of GCSES do you people all have? :smile: x
which Unis' create less emphasis on GCSES? I know Birmingham want around 8A* but which would still inteview people with 3-4?
thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by AishaTara
which Unis' create less emphasis on GCSES? I know Birmingham want around 8A* but which would still inteview people with 3-4?
thanks in advance :smile:

3-4 really isn't that bad, I'm applying with only one. Most places will be fine with it, just avoid places like Birmingham, Queens, possibly Kings depending on UKCAT, etc.
Original post by Normandy114
3-4 really isn't that bad, I'm applying with only one. Most places will be fine with it, just avoid places like Birmingham, Queens, possibly Kings depending on UKCAT, etc.

thanks :smile: it's so annoying, because I just wish I had worked harder. Orginally was predicted like 8 and it's just dropped :/ and after each exam i've sat it's like eliminating the chance of getting an A* :P
Hmm, where have you applied to or where will you be applying to?
Well I just discovered this thread, i did biology physics chemistry and math AS hopefully I have 4 exams left and I ll be done, I ll be free to work on my application I'm thinking of applying to Leeds, newcastle, Kings London and Manchester.
I have a question about the chemistry A level is it necessary in all unis or a physics a level would do ?
Reply 3019

Hi guys, just wondering how everyone is doing in AS Levels? I'm really concerned about chemistry. I'm doing OCR Salters. The first paper went quite well I think, but I'm just concerned about my coursework: I have 49/60, which is probably not even an A :frown: FFS Why do I suck so bad at science practicals?

Latest

Trending

Trending