damn wi fi never going to study
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
So you're all leaving..? :cry2:

I would never leave your side :flutter:
Original post by futuredoc77
I would never leave your side :flutter:

*phew!
:smile:

But what are your plans this year though? Decided against reapplying?
(This question is also to all other 2011 reapplicants who are on this thread)
*phew!

Reapplying and starting a course... which reminds me I should've cracked on with the UKCAT a month ago :afraid:
*phew!

Argh I don't know if I can even afford doing Medicine in Scotland yet, but I want to do medicine so bad! I just don't know anymore. Everything is so intense to get into these days.

Yourself?
Original post by baztech
Argh I don't know if I can even afford doing Medicine in Scotland yet, but I want to do medicine so bad! I just don't know anymore. Everything is so intense to get into these days.

Yourself?

Baztech, what is your back-up plan if you do not get into medicine. Are you doing a masters or phd?
Original post by firestar101
Baztech, what is your back-up plan if you do not get into medicine. Are you doing a masters or phd?

No idea, only got as far as looking at specific ones online. But the thing is I can't really apply for this coming September if I am applying for medicine for 2012 entry (phd that is, I have absolutely no desire to study a masters). Although maybe I should apply to some, hoping I either get a horrific UKCAT or a brillant one to make my decision easier, I think if my UKCAT is worse than last year (<670) I will concentrate on other matters...

How about you?
Original post by baztech
No idea, only got as far as looking at specific ones online. But the thing is I can't really apply for this coming September if I am applying for medicine for 2012 entry (phd that is, I have absolutely no desire to study a masters). Although maybe I should apply to some, hoping I either get a horrific UKCAT or a brillant one to make my decision easier, I think if my UKCAT is worse than last year (<670) I will concentrate on other matters...

How about you?

I am going to try and re-apply again this year. Hopefully see how my ukcat goes.But, I have a pharmacy offer for this year that I might take. It is also a good career choice.
Original post by dmz
i thought i'd be, but GEM seems the right way

You'll get there man
After all you deserve it.
What degree you taking?
I'm not sure wether i should put a back up this year.
I kinda like the idea of trying again if i have a job like.
Get some cash up.
Reply 2189
Original post by joemullally
You'll get there man
After all you deserve it.
What degree you taking?
I'm not sure wether i should put a back up this year.
I kinda like the idea of trying again if i have a job like.
Get some cash up.

so will you :smile: medical engineering. Thought I'd have some fun before it all gets so serious. If you can work loads it's definitely worth it. If i work 3 full days i get 200 after tax so if you can work it's worth it and you could easily earn 1.5k(that's about 70hours a week which can be painful lol) a month after tax but don't overdo it, you're mostly too busy to spend as much money too, just wish i started earlier
are you all looking for paid work during your gap year? im looking for jobs but it seems no one wants people who will just work for a year then **** off.
Reply 2191
Original post by chestntrapzbrah
are you all looking for paid work during your gap year? im looking for jobs but it seems no one wants people who will just work for a year then **** off.

spent ages like that applying but i ended up with 4 or 5, tho i only took 3. Slept around for first 5 months (don't mean that in the sexual sense lol)
Original post by dmz
so will you :smile: medical engineering. Thought I'd have some fun before it all gets so serious. If you can work loads it's definitely worth it. If i work 3 full days i get 200 after tax so if you can work it's worth it and you could easily earn 1.5k(that's about 70hours a week which can be painful lol) a month after tax but don't overdo it, you're mostly too busy to spend as much money too, just wish i started earlier

I've applied for a couple of HCA jobs and a telephonist job
Got an interview on thursday for the telephone one
The telephonist one is like to do with the lone worker system etc.
The hours are as and when
The HCA jobs one's 30 a week the others 20 a week
Need money soo badly
So i can blow it all on freshers :P
Original post by dmz
spent ages like that applying but i ended up with 4 or 5, tho i only took 3. Slept around for first 5 months (don't mean that in the sexual sense lol)

what jobs did you get?
Reply 2194
what jobs did you get?

4 as HCA, 3 bank 1 permanent and 1 in a travel agent. In care/nursing home. Hospitals ones around here ask for nvq's
Reply 2195
Original post by joemullally
I've applied for a couple of HCA jobs and a telephonist job
Got an interview on thursday for the telephone one
The telephonist one is like to do with the lone worker system etc.
The hours are as and when
The HCA jobs one's 30 a week the others 20 a week
Need money soo badly
So i can blow it all on freshers :P

Oh nice, i applied to over 40jobs at least and worked as door to door salesman for 2days but it was too dishonest plus a rip off. Ha nice, carer jobs are nice if you want loads of hours. It's not very glamorous but once you make it past first few weeks it only gets easier

I'm a current re-app so on said gap year and working for money..

Work as shop assistant, delivery driver, barman and science technician, and the latter 3 jobs were only given to me because of previous experience so if you're just starting off then I recommend doing any job you can get since it could lead to something better :yep:

Good luck finding a job :erm:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
I'm a current re-app so on said gap year and working for money..

Work as shop assistant, delivery driver, barman and science technician, and the latter 3 jobs were only given to me because of previous experience so if you're just starting off then I recommend doing any job you can get since it could lead to something better :yep:

Good luck finding a job :erm:

is having a job beneficial to your medical application at all? or do they simply want you to do more work experience and voluntary work during your gap yr?

is having a job beneficial to your medical application at all? or do they simply want you to do more work experience and voluntary work during your gap yr?

It's hard to say in that you could have the best work experience ever, but if you don't know how to use that to show what you've learned etc then it's useless.

If you can get a job as a HCA or similar then great! It's not exactly going to hurt your application :nah:
But at the same time if you don't then it doesn't mean an instant fail :h:

I would recommend more work experience and voluntary work :yep:

But worth finding out if anything else let your application down too..

Oh and as for a job in general.. trust me when I say a year is a very long time to spend at home, so I would say getting a job would help with your sanity.. literally
Reply 2199
with Leeds you get a section in your ps /6 marked for responsibility. Job really helps in that section, so look into individual uni's form of assessment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending