The Student Room Group

PHYA1 - Physics Unit 1 Exam - 24th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Are we even allowed to discuss it yet? :s

But i feel quite good now, getting the same answers as everyone else :biggrin: Either that or we all put the obviouus straight forward but wrong answer :rolleyes:
What did people put for why the Alpha particle is not affected by the strong nuclear force after it leaves the nucleus?
Reply 162
Am I right in thinking a proton is more stable than a pion (from one of the questions)?
Reply 163
Original post by beelz
Am I right in thinking a proton is more stable than a pion (from one of the questions)?

Even neutrons decay into protons on a long enough timeline. Yes you are correct.
Original post by jackegan93
What did people put for why the Alpha particle is not affected by the strong nuclear force after it leaves the nucleus?

i put that the strong force only has a range of 3-4fm so once out of the nucleus it is no longer attracted by the nucleons
Reply 165

I said that the strong nuclear force has a range of up to 4 fm, and once it exceeds that range it is not affected.
Reply 166

Strong nuclear force has a very short range. 3fm.
Electrostatic force is larger than strong nuclear force after 3fm.
What did the two graphs look like? Think I got A but not B.
the question where they asked for the characteristics of kaon which make them strange,
i see answers like "they have strange quark" but is it really a characteristic?
i put "they are created through strong interaction but decay through weak interaction, and that they are relatively long-lived"
i'm really unsure about this one though..
Reply 169
Original post by A level Az
What did the two graphs look like? Think I got A but not B.

The first one was steeper start at the same point finishes on half the amount of the original current.

Second one was horizontal.

Not sure if correct.
Original post by fGDu
I said that the strong nuclear force has a range of up to 4 fm, and once it exceeds that range it is not affected.

Excellent guys, thanks.
Reply 171
I thought I did okay at first but now I think I will be lucky to scrape a B. I am so guttered. I spent alot of time revising but for some reason I always mess up when the pressure is on.
Reply 172
Original post by Rocketeeer
the question where they asked for the characteristics of kaon which make them strange,
i put "they are created through strong interaction but decay through weak interaction, and that they are relatively long-lived"

I wrote about the creating via strong interaction and decaying via weak. but it seemed to long at it said ONE characteristic so I changed it to strange quark.
i ended up with 1.2 ohms for internal resistance =/
Original post by Rocketeeer

Your answer is superb, but honestly, an AQA As-Level exam would probably have their answer, hence I put it too.
could anyone create a post of the questions, i cant remember most of them, especially the start. would be very helpful.
Original post by siwelmail
This exam isn't meant to be spoken about until midnight.

That's for edexcel exams which are world wide... AQA exams aren't international exams therefore we are allowed to discuss them.
Original post by Limitless
I wrote about the creating via strong interaction and decaying via weak. but it seemed to long at it said ONE characteristic so I changed it to strange quark.

ohhh.. yeah i put down 2 regardless, too insecure..
but is "having a strange quark" a characteristic?
Original post by Limitless
The first one was steeper start at the same point finishes on half the amount of the original current.

Second one was horizontal.

Not sure if correct.

I got exactly the same for both, but B was just a guess really. Hope we're right.
(edited 12 years ago)
For the why does it not feel the strong nuclear force, I put that it was because it was a small nucleus and stable. Now the answer is actually obvious, I feel so dumb.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending