The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Original post by Bella Occhi
:lol:

Yeah I think everyone is going to be arriving with an absolutely jam packed car :lol: I have heard somewhere not to worry about how much stuff you're taking though because there will always be someone with more than you! How do you think you're going to break the ice with flatmates and so on? Not sure whether to bring alcohol or not as a lot of people are saying they will!

I probably will, everything's a lot less awkward when you've had a bit, grab a couple of bottles of cheap rose from tescos on the way! always works a treat :wink:
xx
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 941

Yeah I think everyone is going to be arriving with an absolutely jam packed car :lol: I have heard somewhere not to worry about how much stuff you're taking though because there will always be someone with more than you! How do you think you're going to break the ice with flatmates and so on? Not sure whether to bring alcohol or not as a lot of people are saying they will!

Yeh was thinking about it bh. Ppl seem to open up more once they've had a drink. Possibly bring some wine or vodka along with me. Sit at the table and so forth lol. Guna be an experience anyway ha ha. Looking forward to it lol
Reply 942
I've firmed maths with finance, sooooooo wana get in!

got an offer of AAa

i have ABa (atm) - Maths - History - Further Maths.

I'm doing a level psychology this summer, what are the chances of them rejecting me if i dont get an A in psychology?
Original post by Lovin
Never thought of decorating the dorm room. Omg i need posters or pictures or both o.O

And photo collages! I'm sure we'll be able to pick up plenty of posters and that at freshers. Wonder if there's many hooks on the walls?
Need to buy all plates and pans and the like too =s and a duvet. and tea towels. and many other things but these are all that come to mind for some reason...
Haha, I've never really tried ale, I just thought the society looked fun :biggrin:

Yeah quite excited for decorating my room :biggrin: I already have a couple of posters, I might get fairy lights. I got loads of inspiration from the post a pic of your dorm room thread :h:

fairy lights! bring so much joy to any room >.<
haha I'm sure you can just fake enjoying ale if the society's good!
Reply 945
Original post by meggandbeans
And photo collages! I'm sure we'll be able to pick up plenty of posters and that at freshers. Wonder if there's many hooks on the walls?
Need to buy all plates and pans and the like too =s and a duvet. and tea towels. and many other things but these are all that come to mind for some reason...

Oh yeh. I only got the basics like pens/pencils and stuff like tht atm. Might get like a starter kit from morrisons or something. Basic cutlery and such you can get quite heap from tescos and asda. Don't really wanna be taking expensive stuff as it's probably guna get broken lol.
Im getting all excited now. Can't wait till september. :smile:
Information technology! boom!

If you are going to Lupton then bear in mind there is a large Wilkinsons round the corner from Lupton and they are always well stocked for Freshers Week...so if you were planning on buying anything (eg kitchen utensils) for uni, you don't have to do it beforehands and ram your car, you can drive up on the day, move the rest of your stuff in, then walk round to Wilkinsons, spend £30 and you will have a fully stocked kitchen....

You can get all sorts of other household items there as well not just kitchen.
Original post by Lovin
Never thought of decorating the dorm room. Omg i need posters or pictures or both o.O

In Freshers Week there is ALWAYS a poster sale in the students union but if you have a niche interest then I suppose you will have to buy in advance....
Original post by MagicNMedicine
If you are going to Lupton then bear in mind there is a large Wilkinsons round the corner from Lupton and they are always well stocked for Freshers Week...so if you were planning on buying anything (eg kitchen utensils) for uni, you don't have to do it beforehands and ram your car, you can drive up on the day, move the rest of your stuff in, then walk round to Wilkinsons, spend £30 and you will have a fully stocked kitchen....

You can get all sorts of other household items there as well not just kitchen.

Oh really? That's great! That'll make everything a lot easier :biggrin:

In Freshers Week there is ALWAYS a poster sale in the students union but if you have a niche interest then I suppose you will have to buy in advance....

What kinds of posters do they sell? And btw where is the SU in relation to Lupton/the uni? I completely forgot to go there on the open day :colondollar:
Reply 950
middle of the uni. Looked really good too. One of the pool table doesn't work no matter how you put the coin in :facepalm:twas a bit embarrassing eventually lol
Reply 951

Meh i shall wait for freshers week. Buy a load of quirky posters that make no sense. Should be fun :P lol

What kinds of posters do they sell? And btw where is the SU in relation to Lupton/the uni? I completely forgot to go there on the open day :colondollar:

Some to do with music, film, pictures of actors, political themes, my flatmate got one with a picture of Muhammed Ali and it said "I'm so fast when I turn my light off at night I'm already in bed before it gets dark".

The student union is right in the middle of the university campus, next to the Refectory.
Original post by meggandbeans
fairy lights! bring so much joy to any room >.<
haha I'm sure you can just fake enjoying ale if the society's good!

I think fairy lights are banned in halls. Can't remember exactly but I remember there being some controversy around it.
I think fairy lights are banned in halls. Can't remember exactly but I remember there being some controversy around it.

You remember right. Sorry all but they are actually potentially really dangerous. Look out for the Xmas tree video when you do your eIntro programme (it will be on the portal in late August and you have to go through it before you arrive) and you might think differently about them.
Reply 955
Original post by sango

Im doing Philosophy and living at Clarence Dock hopefully
Anybody know what the uni is like if student finance doesnt come through-ive been waiting on my NI number for 4 months so havent done my application yet
Reply 956
Original post by TurboTom
Im doing Philosophy and living at Clarence Dock hopefully
Anybody know what the uni is like if student finance doesnt come through-ive been waiting on my NI number for 4 months so havent done my application yet

you should probably call them. I had to
How likely is it that Leeds will accept you if you don't get the grades you need on Results Day?
My offer to study Physics (BSc) is ABB..would they ever accept if I didn't quite get this?
Just in case :smile:
Original post by Preetinder
How likely is it that Leeds will accept you if you don't get the grades you need on Results Day?
My offer to study Physics (BSc) is ABB..would they ever accept if I didn't quite get this?
Just in case :smile:

I'm afraid it has nothing really to do with Leeds and everything to do with the competition you're up against and what results everyone else gets. For Physics, Leeds will have a set number of places for the course. They aren't allowed to over-allocate places for that course, so if too many people are on it they get fined massively. Obviously this means they don't want to have too many people getting through for the course. However, they will also know that they should give out more offers than there are places, because some people will reject their offer, will choose it as their Insurance or won't meet the offer conditions. It all depends on how many people choose it as their first and meet their conditions because of this.

Say, for example, there are 100 places for Physics at Leeds. They might take a gamble and give out 130 offers because they will know on average how many people won't accept the offer etc. So, out of those 130 people, if everyone keeps it as their main choice and they all meet their offers - Leeds are screwed. What is more likely is that perhaps 15 people won't pick Leeds, leaving 115. Out of these 115 people, maybe 90 will meet their conditions and 25 won't. That means that the admissions people have to pick 10 people that DIDN'T meet their conditions out of the 25 left over. So 10 will get in (to push to numbers up to the 100 places) and the other 15 are out of luck. If 100 people met their conditions then the 15 that didn't wouldn't have any choice in the matter, they would be rejected. If only 50 people met their conditions then obviously Leeds are going to have a lot of picking out of people that didn't get the required grades. So it all depends!

What often happens is that, if all the places on the course are filled with people who did get the required grades but you didn't, the University will offer you a place on a different course that hasn't got enough people on it as either it wasn't as popular or loads of people didn't accept their offer or did really badly in their exams if they applied for that course.

Because of this, it is impossible to say how lenient Leeds will be but because of the increased competition to get a place this year (and because I would imagine Physics will be a popular and competitive course) I would say you'd do better to concentrate on getting the best marks you can. Unfortunately, the Universities get our results before we do (about a week before) so they will normally have made up their minds about who they want to keep on the course before we ever find out our results. So though some people will ring up on the day because they didn't meet the grades and will get lucky and be given a place, in general this won't happen as the University generally already knows whether they want you or not if you didn't meet your conditions! Always worth a try though if you've got nothing to lose!
Reply 959
wow

Latest