The Student Room Group

PHYA1 - Physics Unit 1 Exam - 24th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dizzy in my Head
Yeah, I posted it and I was like 'got it wrong again?!' so I went back and edited it.

I think physics damaged my brain.

Physics damages everyones brains, don't worry.
also are we sure that the question about 'what is special about it being strange etc' isnt that it is composed of strange quark(s). Therefore has a strangeness of +1 (if anti strange quark) -1 (if strange quark)
Reply 302
not sure 3. is correct

4. Which of these two interactions cannot take place The second interaction because leptopn number is not conserved

5. Why must the charge of X be 0? To conserve charge (0->-1+1)

6. Which is the most stable particle in this interaction? Proton
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
I'm not sure that im 100% right but i worked out 40/60 UMS for EMPA and somewhere between 70 and 80 UMS for Unit 1 and you need 240 for an A I think.

I'm still able to get a High B maybe right? =[

If I play to a University [UCL] and they ask for A*AA, and I get the B in physics, but I'm retaking Unit 1 to bump it up to an A, will they accept this? or will they not make me an offer purely based on this? =/
Oh, the last question.

The first one was:

1. Show the resistance of the whole circuit.

It was in parallel, current was 2.0A, Voltage was 10V

So V=IR, rearrange to give R=V/I

R=10/2=5 Ohms

Does this look familiar or did I mess it up?

Circuit labels on resistors are not true to memory...:tongue:
Quick question.

State what is meant by the ionisation energy. (13.6MeV or something)

In chemistry I learn the definition as 'the energy in kJ required to ionise one mole of gaseous atoms'

But from this question I got the impression they were referring to one atom so I wrote something like this: 'Energy in MeV required to remove the electron from an atom of hydrogen making a hydrogen ion.'

Is this right? :/
Started a thread so everyone put their solutions in that perhaps so its more organised ?
technically its the same thing, maybe
Original post by maths134
Started a thread so everyone put their solutions in that perhaps so its more organised ?

yh good idea, solutions in one questions in another
then mix em up and we're done
Original post by FrightBright
Im baffled on the 3rd last question. It was a proof question then I prooved it, AND i did get 5 its in my working, but it asked for an answer so I was baffled, and put 3 because each resistor is 3 the way they worded that question is Fu**** retarded.

Exactly the same, they gave you the answer to the question so what were you meant to put!

Original post by Limitless
What was the answer to where did the electron come from or something like that.

That was the hardest question of the whole exam..........I put the Big Bang
Original post by TimetoSucceed
I'm still able to get a High B maybe right? =[

If I play to a University [UCL] and they ask for A*AA, and I get the B in physics, but I'm retaking Unit 1 to bump it up to an A, will they accept this? or will they not make me an offer purely based on this? =/

Only problem is UCL is extremely competitive but honestly I don't think a high B would bother them too much. I personally can't apply because I don't have a language at GCSE. Its a silly new rule they have. And i think you can still get a high B, you only need about another 90-100 UMS.
The second of that curcuit question, I remember, was:

2. Show your previous answer was correct, using the fact that each resistor is equal to three Ohms.

Look at parallel first: 3+3=6 Ohms for top line, 3 Ohms for the bottom. Then as they are in parallel, you add them like this:

1/R = 1/6 + 1/3 = 1/6 + 2/6 = 3/6 = 6/3 = 2 Ohms

Add this to the three Ohm resistor in series, it gives you five Ohms.

Is this correct? It gave you an answer box, even though it just told you to prove your previous answer, so I just put in five Ohms...
for the first page where they asked which equation was not possible (muon decay i think) which one was the 'not possible' one? i put the second one, thinking that the muon+ is an antiparticle but then i thought does the meson number need to be conserved? thanks
Original post by the.student
for the first page where they asked which equation was not possible (muon decay i think) which one was the 'not possible' one? i put the second one, thinking that the muon+ is an antiparticle but then i thought does the meson number need to be conserved? thanks

i've never heard of a meson number..
The second of that curcuit question, I remember, was:

2. Show your previous answer was correct, using the fact that each resistor is equal to three Ohms.

Look at parallel first: 3+3=6 Ohms for top line, 3 Ohms for the bottom. Then as they are in parallel, you add them like this:

1/R = 1/6 + 1/3 = 1/6 + 2/6 = 3/6 = 6/3 = 2 Ohms

Add this to the three Ohm resistor in series, it gives you five Ohms.

Is this correct? It gave you an answer box, even though it just told you to prove your previous answer, so I just put in five Ohms...

yeah i notices they shouldnt have given us a space for an answer, so i just put there "so it is right!"
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Only problem is UCL is extremely competitive but honestly I don't think a high B would bother them too much. I personally can't apply because I don't have a language at GCSE. Its a silly new rule they have. And i think you can still get a high B, you only need about another 90-100 UMS.

you got no idea how depressed im feeling now man =/ ah well, there's a quote saying:

"A man who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it, is committing another mistake." - Confucius

my mistake is I didn't put as much effort as I should into Physics 1, I have 2 weeks until Physics 2, in those 2 weeks, I will be revising day and night. My goal is a B now.
Original post by the.student

There's nothing about 'conservation of meson number' in the syllabus...although, in the second equation, you have a muon+ and an antineutrino so the muon lepton number on the right is -2 as they are all anti particles- so lepton number is not conserved :P
Original post by TimetoSucceed
you got no idea how depressed im feeling now man =/ ah well, there's a quote saying:

"A man who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it, is committing another mistake." - Confucius

my mistake is I didn't put as much effort as I should into Physics 1, I have 2 weeks until Physics 2, in those 2 weeks, I will be revising day and night. My goal is a B now.

I wouldn't worry yourself too much, you may have done a lot better than you think you have and there are so many things that affect a university application other than a levels.
Anybody remember any other questions and answers they'd like to share? :smile:

1. Complete the feynmann diagram. (3 marks)

Shown in the thumbnail.

This is what I did, not sure if it's right. Please, people, I can't do this on my own! :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Anybody remember any other questions and answers they'd like to share? :smile:

1. Complete the feynmann diagram. (3 marks)

Shown in the thumbnail.

This is what I did, not sure if it's right. Please, people, I can't do this on my own! :frown:

thats right. Mind if I add it to my mark scheme ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending