The Student Room Group

PHYA1 - Physics Unit 1 Exam - 24th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucy149
i dont think we have mentioned the one in the first question yet about whether particle X was a lepton baryony or meson
i put baryon but i wouldnt count on any of my answers

It was a baryon

A proton was formed, which is a baryon
To conserve baryon number, X had to be a baryon
Reply 341
what did you put for the difference between the special particles?
Reply 342
Am i the only one that got 3.3A for the 2nd to last one? I did 10/3. I used 10v because over a parallel combo, the voltage on each side is equal to the max voltage; and on that specific side there was only one component so all of the voltage was passing through it. no? :confused:

Also i got 5v for the last one because if the resistance in the two resistors is the same - THe current will also be the same. And as there are two components, the total Voltage through one resistor is the max V/2. (10/2 = 5)
Reply 343
Original post by Dizzy in my Head

What do you mean wrong, they got that right!

It asked for two baryons, one of which is a neutron (though you needed to state two - but you still got one mark if you didn't).

They won't get the mark for that. It wasn't specific to the question. You had to mention both bayrons in context, just checked with my Physics teacher.
Original post by Lucy149
i dont think we have mentioned the one in the first question yet about whether particle X was a lepton baryony or meson
i put baryon but i wouldnt count on any of my answers

I got baryon, too, as the baryon number would not be conserved if it wasn't. :smile:
What was the argon question? Was the proton number +1 more and the nucleon number the same?
Original post by Spas_13
They won't get the mark for that. It wasn't specific to the question. You had to mention both bayrons in context, just checked with my Physics teacher.

Yeah, I'm sorry - I was skim reading and thought they had put neutron. But you can't dent the confidence of people in telling them they'll have to re-sit, it's bad enough finding the question they thought was right is wrong!
Original post by jackegan93
What was the argon question? Was the proton number +1 more and the nucleon number the same?

No, it was +1 for the proton number, and the same for nucleon number - as it wasn't beta minus decay, it was beta plus decay...
Bro you just said what I said.. and Ok fair enough can't remember the question
Reply 349
Can somebody answer my question please? :smile: It's up this page about the last two question.
Original post by LewisS911
Am i the only one that got 3.3A for the 2nd to last one? I did 10/3. I used 10v because over a parallel combo, the voltage on each side is equal to the max voltage; and on that specific side there was only one component so all of the voltage was passing through it. no? :confused:

Also i got 5v for the last one because if the resistance in the two resistors is the same - THe current will also be the same. And as there are two components, the total Voltage through one resistor is the max V/2. (10/2 = 5)

That parallel combo was only exposed to a voltage of 4v, as it was in series with the other resistor Z
Reply 351
Can someone answer my question as well please - it's on the previous page. Thanks :smile:
Reply 352
Original post by LewisS911
Can somebody answer my question please? :smile: It's up this page about the last two question.

yeahh i think your right i did get the answer but for some reason i divided the 3.3A by the root 2? dont know why

imk just really confused right now the paper was horendous!
Reply 353

Yeah, I'm sorry - I was skim reading and thought they had put neutron. But you can't dent the confidence of people in telling them they'll have to re-sit, it's bad enough finding the question they thought was right is wrong!

Yo mate, just found out that you were correct, I was wrong. It turns out both answers are valid.
Can anyone remember the question about the Argon atom, like what it actually said?
Original post by TooEasy123

Well anyway the top equation didn't conserve strangeness. And strangeness is conserved in strong interactions. So the top one can't work.
Well anyway the top equation didn't conserve strangeness. And strangeness is conserved in strong interactions. So the top one can't work.

That's actually what I said.. will I still get marks?
Original post by jackegan93
That's actually what I said.. will I still get marks?

TBH i doubt it and I gave this as an answer. Its only 2 marks tbh, u can drop like 7 and get 100% =D
Reply 358

The top equation underwent Weak Force interaction, AFAIK. The quark flavour changes, so the top one looked valid. The second one had unbalanced lepton numbers.
Yeah anyway, anyone remember the Argon question? Like what the atom before was?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending