is there anyone revising for this exam and hows revision going
im struggling because i did this exam last year and dont remember anything

does anyone have any tips on how to revise for mechanics 1B
and does anyone have the aqa jan 2011 MM1b paper and mark scheme

and can anyone recommend a good revision book the one i have isnt that good
thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
http://www.suffolkmaths.co.uk/pages/Revision/KS5%20Exam%20Papers/Mechanics%201%20Exams/Mechanics%201B%20Jan%202011%20QP.pdf

http://www.suffolkmaths.co.uk/pages/Revision/KS5%20Exam%20Papers/Mechanics%201%20Exams/Mechanics%201B%20Jan%202011%20MS.pdf

Well there's the links for the past papers. How to revise though. Hmmm... I'd say just work through the past papers and when you get stuck dive for the textbook, until you can do it flawlessly. But that doesn't work for some people.
Reply 2
Original post by Miller693
http://www.suffolkmaths.co.uk/pages/Revision/KS5%20Exam%20Papers/Mechanics%201%20Exams/Mechanics%201B%20Jan%202011%20QP.pdf

http://www.suffolkmaths.co.uk/pages/Revision/KS5%20Exam%20Papers/Mechanics%201%20Exams/Mechanics%201B%20Jan%202011%20MS.pdf

Well there's the links for the past papers. How to revise though. Hmmm... I'd say just work through the past papers and when you get stuck dive for the textbook, until you can do it flawlessly. But that doesn't work for some people.

thanks
Reply 3
not looking forward to this, really hate mechanics!
Reply 4
Me too
Reply 5
Yeah im doing this too, quite like mechanics but then again I've had to self teach, and I haven't done a past paper either yet so I'm not sure where I'm at, more focused on FP1 and S1 on Friday.
Reply 6
Original post by anil10100
Yeah im doing this too, quite like mechanics but then again I've had to self teach, and I haven't done a past paper either yet so I'm not sure where I'm at, more focused on FP1 and S1 on Friday.

i did s1 on friday too
i did aqa
how did u find the exam
Reply 7
Original post by hahaff
i did s1 on friday too
i did aqa
how did u find the exam

what s1 today? it was alright i guess, i was concentrating more on FP1, as i was resitting s1 to improve on 87, but it was too wordy a paper for my liking. all the maths on it was relatively straightforward, i just wasnt fond of the comment on this, explain this, prove this etc. questions.
How'd you find it?
Reply 8
Original post by anil10100
what s1 today? it was alright i guess, i was concentrating more on FP1, as i was resitting s1 to improve on 87, but it was too wordy a paper for my liking. all the maths on it was relatively straightforward, i just wasnt fond of the comment on this, explain this, prove this etc. questions.
How'd you find it?

yep i agree i did all the maths questions and got them right according to answers by other people got there were too many wordy questions i think there was a wordy part in every question only question that didnt have wordy was question 2 and 6 which was normal and binomial distribution
Reply 9
jan 11 paper is here.

http://www.billgrisdaledesign.co.uk/DCHS_mathspapers/ASpapers.html

it's got a few weird permutations of some types of questions. the pulley and the projectiles question. i suppose they're meant to be harder. the more of them you do though, the more confidence you'll get.

just get past papers done. use the answers for guidance if you get really stuck.

having said that, i'm not so keen on mechanics. i just find myself making silly mistakes. hopefully a few more past papers will see me through to a B and and A if i can push it.
Reply 10
Original post by jazzybob
jan 11 paper is here.

http://www.billgrisdaledesign.co.uk/DCHS_mathspapers/ASpapers.html

it's got a few weird permutations of some types of questions. the pulley and the projectiles question. i suppose they're meant to be harder. the more of them you do though, the more confidence you'll get.

just get past papers done. use the answers for guidance if you get really stuck.

having said that, i'm not so keen on mechanics. i just find myself making silly mistakes. hopefully a few more past papers will see me through to a B and and A if i can push it.

yep thats what happens to me too i knw the stuff but i make silly mistakes i think the jan 2011 was the hardest one yet the june 10 was ok but the grade boundaries went too high
Reply 11
i'm not liking the fact that the first two questions are worth like less than 10 marks as well. you'd think if the put the majority of the marks at back end of the paper the boundaries would be lower...

i did the june 10 paper originally and i was surprised to have even got a D. lolz. i did barely any revision and hardly anything throughout the year.

i've been through all the papers from 06 onwards now. if i had more time i'd have done them twice over. we'll see how it goes.

good luck mate.
Reply 12
Did this paper as a mock and got 74/75 lol. It isn't too difficult but i bet i fail under exam pressure!!
Reply 13
not bad. i'm not brilliant at maths but then i've left revision late. whether or not i understand appears to be irrelevant until i decide to start revision quite late... but then it becomes a slight issue...

anyway, doing a c3 paper now and hopefully 2 M1s after.
Reply 14
can someone please explain to me projectile motion and tell me all the formulas ill have to learn, its my worst topic!!! does anyone have any useful revision notes?
Reply 15
for projectiles the common Q's - have to do with max height in which case v=0, to work out time using verticle component make sure you times by 2 to figure out total time.
Look over projectiles in the text book, look though worked examples which go over vertical and horizontal displacement.

Could someone explain if the is a boat, wind going at v=3 east and the boat is travelling north at v=5. The resultant is 5.8, I know. But angle or the bearing its travelling in... why do I always get this wrong. It makes no sense why it would be the angle between the north v and the resultant. Its hard to explain its much easier on a diagram but basically I just want to know how you know (which angle)the bearing in which the boat is travelling.
Original post by Dpax2max
for projectiles the common Q's - have to do with max height in which case v=0, to work out time using verticle component make sure you times by 2 to figure out total time.
Look over projectiles in the text book, look though worked examples which go over vertical and horizontal displacement.

Could someone explain if the is a boat, wind going at v=3 east and the boat is travelling north at v=5. The resultant is 5.8, I know. But angle or the bearing its travelling in... why do I always get this wrong. It makes no sense why it would be the angle between the north v and the resultant. Its hard to explain its much easier on a diagram but basically I just want to know how you know (which angle)the bearing in which the boat is travelling.

hi :smile: i've drawn little diagram for you (but i made mistake, the marked angle should be 31 sorry) ... i used to get confused with this stuff aswell, but then i realised that when you draw the triangle you should consider the directons and make sure that the horizontal and vertical components follow on from each other (like ->-> instead of -><- or <--> ) and then just connect the two components to get a hypotenuse (resultant v), the angle created between the hypotenuse and a vertical line is your bearing = 031 in your question...and the hypotenuse must be pointing away from the vertical line when you take the bearing between the two lines clockwise... i hope i've helped /

Edit: also, remember that if the velocity is positive it points either up or right, and if it's negative it points down or left))
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Eurghhh, I hate Mechanics soooo much! :frown:
I would be more prepared for tomorrow's exam if I hadn't had an exam today, and one yesterday. I'm shattered. Can't really be bothered to do any more revision for this. :P

Mechanics shouldn't be too difficult. Although I seem to have stupid moments where I can't think right and calculate something wrong when it comes to Mechanics questions.
Reply 19
Not looking forwards to it at all. First exam of the lot :frown: I hope i get how to do all the questions in the exam. Sometimes i blank out and forget tiny little things :frown: aaaaaaaarrrgggggggh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending